PDA

View Full Version : Camera choice - Fresnels and Chamonix field cameras (sorry)

Moosickcal
29-Jun-2015, 09:17
Hello! I don't wish to clutter the forum up, but have faith in your collective knowledge. I'll start off by copying + pasting an email I've sent to Hugo, as I would enjoy your input on the matter too. This was originally a thread post but I felt it might derail and wasn't fair on the OP.

"I am interested (definitely now that I know it has a reversible back), but am wary of the fresnel screen - I often shoot wide open, and though I tend to go for between 135 and 150mm, I do want to get optimum sharpness and clarity. If the fresnel is removed from the camera or not included in the order, will the focus be shifted? I've seen a lot of discussion on the issue and though I'm not a dab hand at mathematics, I am wary of this being a problem in the future. Is the issue solved, and if not, will it be much of a problem with sharp focusing, especially when a loupe isn't to hand?
"
______

So far, I have used Toyos, Wistas (my personal love), MPPs, and other field cameras, all of which are a joy to use, but are rented from my university. I primarily shoot a mix of landscapes and indoor self portraits - the latter usually being shot at f/8, and as such, I can see the fresnel issue being a problem bar my longer exposures.

My question is, with a budget of £1500 (give or take) for a lens, body, tripod, and a kitchen sink, would you recommend a Wista 45DX (which I will have readily available to me for the next 3 years), a Shen-Hao TZ45, or a Chamonix? Bar the fresnel issue which seems to have caused much dispute, Chamonix seems to be considered a sort of favoured child to Ebony and gets exceptional reviews from many a source... but what are your thoughts? While I am no obsessive when it comes to IQ, I certainly want to have a camera with the capacity to get a razor-sharp shot when I desire it.

thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cal B

SMBooth
29-Jun-2015, 23:17
I used both the Wista and Chaminox F1, both are different but the final results you get will be the same. The OME screen on the Wista is better but the Chamonix (to me) is easier to apply front tilt. The Wista is a tad faster to set up, and you can leave a small lens on when folding. Chamonix has longer bellows and can use WA lens easier. Razor sharp results will depend on the tripod and lens used, not the camera.
If you have good access to a Wista for 3 years then use it.

dave_whatever
29-Jun-2015, 23:34
The "fresnel issue" was to do with early Chamonix models years ago, with the fresnel being installed on the wrong side (easily fixed). Doesn't apply to any of the current cameras, and hasn't done for years now.

Moosickcal
30-Jun-2015, 01:16
I used both the Wista and Chaminox F1, both are different but the final results you get will be the same. The OME screen on the Wista is better but the Chamonix (to me) is easier to apply front tilt. The Wista is a tad faster to set up, and you can leave a small lens on when folding. Chamonix has longer bellows and can use WA lens easier. Razor sharp results will depend on the tripod and lens used, not the camera.
If you have good access to a Wista for 3 years then use it.Good point, didn't really think when I was writing that. :p Thanks for your information, guys. I see people discussing the Fresnel screen as being 'before', 'after', 'under' 'between' etc and I always think 'relative to what?'. Not as informed on that side of things, unfortunately. Anyway, thank you for your time.

Cal

prendt
30-Jun-2015, 17:39
Hello! I don't wish to clutter the forum up, but have faith in your collective knowledge. I'll start off by copying + pasting an email I've sent to Hugo, as I would enjoy your input on the matter too. This was originally a thread post but I felt it might derail and wasn't fair on the OP.

"I am interested (definitely now that I know it has a reversible back), but am wary of the fresnel screen - I often shoot wide open, and though I tend to go for between 135 and 150mm, I do want to get optimum sharpness and clarity. If the fresnel is removed from the camera or not included in the order, will the focus be shifted? I've seen a lot of discussion on the issue and though I'm not a dab hand at mathematics, I am wary of this being a problem in the future. Is the issue solved, and if not, will it be much of a problem with sharp focusing, especially when a loupe isn't to hand?
"
______

So far, I have used Toyos, Wistas (my personal love), MPPs, and other field cameras, all of which are a joy to use, but are rented from my university. I primarily shoot a mix of landscapes and indoor self portraits - the latter usually being shot at f/8, and as such, I can see the fresnel issue being a problem bar my longer exposures.

My question is, with a budget of £1500 (give or take) for a lens, body, tripod, and a kitchen sink, would you recommend a Wista 45DX (which I will have readily available to me for the next 3 years), a Shen-Hao TZ45, or a Chamonix? Bar the fresnel issue which seems to have caused much dispute, Chamonix seems to be considered a sort of favoured child to Ebony and gets exceptional reviews from many a source... but what are your thoughts? While I am no obsessive when it comes to IQ, I certainly want to have a camera with the capacity to get a razor-sharp shot when I desire it.

thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cal B

Well, I would not be so quick to discard the Fresnel issue with Chamonix, after all it was a defect. If I remember correctly, GPS - one of our members, started about this issue a good thread years ago. Do a search. Soon after Chamonix came with the F2 type which was supposedly freed of the fresnell issue (a corrected construction).
I used to use Wista 45DX and liked its simplicity but prefer monorails nowadays.