PDA

View Full Version : Another new Chamonix owner

kenj8246
28-Jun-2015, 06:28
This won't be a review and it won't be long because I've only had it out once. Suffice to say, the 045F1 a very nice camera. It MAY take the place of my Shenhao HZX. Materials, fit and finish are all excellent IMO. Given my level of experience with LF, I found it easily allows me to do what I want. And, without resurrecting an old thread, I'll just say that my only complaint--and, it's a very minor complaint, at that--is that the numerous, well-placed spirit levels respond slowly, at first. Once they start moving, they move; it's just that initial moment of overcoming inertia, I guess.

Long story short, I'm a very happy camper.

Kenny

Anipie
28-Jun-2015, 14:05
Hello, I am on the infamous" LIST" for an August 045n-2.... and I'm trying to find other Chamonix users. Is there a dedicated group on here?
Thanks, Ann

kenj8246
28-Jun-2015, 15:21
Hello, I am on the infamous" LIST" for an August 045n-2.... and I'm trying to find other Chamonix users. Is there a dedicated group on here?
Thanks, Ann

Dunno, Ann. If there is, you'll doubtless hear from someone.

Winger
28-Jun-2015, 17:32
There aren't dedicated groups on here, but there are a number of us with Chamonix of various sizes and models. I have an F1 and love it.

StoneNYC
29-Jun-2015, 00:41
There aren't dedicated groups on here, but there are a number of us with Chamonix of various sizes and models. I have an F1 and love it.

You do!?? I didn't know you had a modern LF anything, lol, almost shocked! ;)

Mick Fagan
29-Jun-2015, 05:38

Very interesting, do you, or have you, used the asymmetrical tilt function for the rear standard?

I am taking quite a lot of buildings at the moment, this feature on that camera has my interest.

Mick.

kenj8246
29-Jun-2015, 06:26
I can see that the asymmetric tilt will be handy...when I figure out how to use that function for something other than leveling the standards. :) I don't 'have my head around' movements yet. I found that moving the rear standard using the axis tilt and leaving it there can stymie folding the camera back up. I think. It'll take me a while to figure it all out; only had the F1 out for the first time over this past weekend. I'm impressed with it to this point. Worst mistake I made was something that had nothing to do with the F1: I put six holders in my bag and proceed to take shots with all of them only to discover in the changing bag that I'd neglected to load them with film. :mad:

Kenny

StoneNYC
29-Jun-2015, 07:55
I don't quite "get" the asymmetric tilt thing, if it's so great why don't all cameras have it? It's confusing to understand what its limitations might be.

kenj8246
29-Jun-2015, 08:07
I don't quite "get" the asymmetric tilt thing, if it's so great why don't all cameras have it? It's confusing to understand what its limitations might be.

Yeah, I'd like to know when it's more advantageous to use versus base tilt. Without having to be familiar with a lot of optical theory.

Alan Gales
29-Jun-2015, 09:56
Isn't asymmetric tilt the same as what people call axis tilt as opposed to base tilt?

Here is an old thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?62126-Base-Tilt-versus-Axis-Tilt

Doremus Scudder
29-Jun-2015, 10:22

Yeah, I'd like to know when it's more advantageous to use versus base tilt. Without having to be familiar with a lot of optical theory.

Isn't asymmetric tilt the same as what people call axis tilt as opposed to base tilt? ...

Asymmetrical tilts/swings are basically axis tilts/swings with the axes displaced from the center to the sides of the standard. There are two axes, one on each side, that you can pivot around. The idea is that one can place one of the axes on a desired focus point that is closer to the side than the center of the ground glass and then tilt/swing keeping that point in focus while bringing the opposite side into focus. Once both sides of a plane are in focus this way, as with center axis movements, no refocusing is needed (as opposed to base tilts).

Asymmetrical movements give greater distance between focus points (and hence, more accuracy) and should be more applicable to most shots of this nature, since we usually choose focus points on opposite sides of the scene, not center and one side as would be logical with a center axis tilt/swing.

That said, those of us familiar with base and center axis movements are pretty fast and accurate with them. We might need an extra iteration or refocusing compared to asymmetrical movements though. The usefulness of asymmetrical tilts/swings is proportional to the amount of fiddling needed to use them and, of course, being able to easily place a focus point on one of the axes. This latter is not always easy, and one ends up doing the refocusing anyway.

There's a detailed pdf on asymmetrical movements from Ebony here: http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asymmetrical.movements.pdf

Best,

Doremus

Alan Gales
29-Jun-2015, 10:42
Thanks Doremus!

kenj8246
29-Jun-2015, 11:14
The Chamonix F1 has lines on the GG to facilitate this type of movement; it's referenced here: http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/045F1.html in the fifth paragraph. I just need some practical experience with it...OJT, if you will.

Kenny

Winger
29-Jun-2015, 14:50
I'm glad Doremus chimed to answer! I haven't really used those movements much, yet. I'd really love to take a good class in using movements in LF because I really just don't learn from reading about it. I learn much better from doing something and if I'm doing it wrong from reading about it, I'll never learn it right.
and my practical experience is sorta on hold until my little guy starts kindergarten in the fall. Then I hope to have time to actually do something for more than 10 minutes without being interrupted.

Stone - LOL, this is the most "modern" piece of camera equipment I own of any type. Even my dSLR is over 5 years old.

Bob Sawin
29-Jun-2015, 21:18
Winger:

Check out http://www.michael-gordon.com/product/workshop-lf/

He is excellent and he uses a Chamonix as well. Hugo Zahn, the Chamonix rep, occasionally sits in on the workshops.

SMBooth
29-Jun-2015, 22:34
Very interesting, do you, or have you, used the asymmetrical tilt function for the rear standard?

I am taking quite a lot of buildings at the moment, this feature on that camera has my interest.

Mick.

Mick, I replaced my Wista with a F1, your quite welcome to borrow it if you want.

Mick Fagan
29-Jun-2015, 23:52
Mick, I replaced my Wista with a F1, your quite welcome to borrow it if you want.

Just replied to you via pm.

Next year, dear. :D

Miock.

Cor
30-Jun-2015, 01:03
Correct me if I am wrong, but asymmetrical tilts can only applied tom the rear standard, thus limiting it's use in for instance architecture were you want to have the back standard level most of the times..

best,

Cor

Asymmetrical tilts/swings are basically axis tilts/swings with the axes displaced from the center to the sides of the standard. There are two axes, one on each side, that you can pivot around. The idea is that one can place one of the axes on a desired focus point that is closer to the side than the center of the ground glass and then tilt/swing keeping that point in focus while bringing the opposite side into focus. Once both sides of a plane are in focus this way, as with center axis movements, no refocusing is needed (as opposed to base tilts).

Asymmetrical movements give greater distance between focus points (and hence, more accuracy) and should be more applicable to most shots of this nature, since we usually choose focus points on opposite sides of the scene, not center and one side as would be logical with a center axis tilt/swing.

That said, those of us familiar with base and center axis movements are pretty fast and accurate with them. We might need an extra iteration or refocusing compared to asymmetrical movements though. The usefulness of asymmetrical tilts/swings is proportional to the amount of fiddling needed to use them and, of course, being able to easily place a focus point on one of the axes. This latter is not always easy, and one ends up doing the refocusing anyway.

There's a detailed pdf on asymmetrical movements from Ebony here: http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asymmetrical.movements.pdf

Best,

Doremus

Winger
30-Jun-2015, 06:18
Winger:

Check out http://www.michael-gordon.com/product/workshop-lf/

He is excellent and he uses a Chamonix as well. Hugo Zahn, the Chamonix rep, occasionally sits in on the workshops.

I've seen him mentioned before and it would be great to be able to do one of these. The problem is that I'm the one who has to be home with our little dude. My husband usually works in the DC area during the week, so any free time I get is on the weekends or through the use of a babysitter (no family nearby, either).

Louis Pacilla
30-Jun-2015, 07:30

Hugos last name is Zhang & not Zhan just in case a new member is trying to find him.

Michael Graves
30-Jun-2015, 07:34

I have the 045F1. It'll go to my grave with me...unless I swap it for an F2.

Alan Gales
30-Jun-2015, 10:40
I've seen him mentioned before and it would be great to be able to do one of these. The problem is that I'm the one who has to be home with our little dude. My husband usually works in the DC area during the week, so any free time I get is on the weekends or through the use of a babysitter (no family nearby, either).

If the little one starts playing organized sports your weekends will go too. I spent many a weekend at the ball fields with my daughter. I wouldn't go back and change a thing though! ;)

StoneNYC
30-Jun-2015, 12:44

And my problem is I'm in CT... Haha not many LF workshops abound here...

I'm glad Doremus chimed to answer! I haven't really used those movements much, yet. I'd really love to take a good class in using movements in LF because I really just don't learn from reading about it. I learn much better from doing something and if I'm doing it wrong from reading about it, I'll never learn it right.
and my practical experience is sorta on hold until my little guy starts kindergarten in the fall. Then I hope to have time to actually do something for more than 10 minutes without being interrupted.

Stone - LOL, this is the most "modern" piece of camera equipment I own of any type. Even my dSLR is over 5 years old.

Hehe, I just sold my DSLR 2-3 months ago, so my Chamonix is the most "modern" piece I own too, but it is a 2013 model so it was newer than the 5D Mk II I sold.

Winger
30-Jun-2015, 13:43
If the little one starts playing organized sports your weekends will go too. I spent many a weekend at the ball fields with my daughter. I wouldn't go back and change a thing though! ;)

Yeah, I can see that coming. Hopefully hubby and I can trade off with those sometimes.

And the great news is that hubby says he thinks the LF workshop weekend is one he can be home extra time for and watch the little dude so I can take the class! Woo hoo! Death Valley in January, here I come! Hopefully.

OP - sorry this got a little off-track. :o

Two23
30-Jun-2015, 19:53
My Chamonix 045n is my go-to workhorse!

Kent in SD