PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

Jim Graves
27-Jun-2015, 20:33
I received this with a box of stuff ... it is officially titled "Kodak Static Eliminator"

Can't find anything on the web ... not sure if it is an alteration of a static eliminator used on a processor or some such ... or what it is.

The brush handle is attached to what looks like a probe or wand ... it is attached with a metal band running down its length along the probe/wand and is bolted to the metal band holding the bristles.

As you can see from the placard this thing generates 5000 volts ... not sure what to make of it ... what to do with it ... or how safe it is.

Anybody ever seen or used one of these? Any electrical engineers out there who could comment on this thing?

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Kodak Static 2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Kodak Static 1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Kodak Static 3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Kodak Static 4.jpg

Peter De Smidt
27-Jun-2015, 20:45
I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics. Mine has two part. One is a column with brushed meant to pull an 8x10 negative through, and the other is a brush, just like this.

Keith Pitman
27-Jun-2015, 20:55
I think it's the same as the unit Zone VI sold, or at least similar. The attachment on the brush is supposed to repel dust. Does it work? Maybe. I know the brush works. :-).

Peter De Smidt
27-Jun-2015, 21:03
They were also made by Chapman Industries of Maine.

Jim Graves
27-Jun-2015, 21:05
I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics. Mine has two part. One is a column with brushed meant to pull an 8x10 negative through, and the other is a brush, just like this.

Wow ... 3 replies in 30 minutes ... this Forum never ceases to amaze me.

So ... do you guys use it? And, if so, how and for what?

Jim in Sacramento

Sal Santamaura
27-Jun-2015, 21:23
Primary function is to brush out film holders, simultaneously neutralizing static charge and thereby enabling both removal of existing dust and preventing attraction of more. Also serves the same purpose when brushing off negatives / negative carriers / glass.

At this point, the most likely problem would be breakdown of the cord's dielectric strength, resulting in high voltage leakage and diminished effectiveness. I've not looked lately, but appropriate replacement wire should still be available.

If you want to sell it, send me a PM. :)

Bruce Barlow
28-Jun-2015, 03:56
You don't want it. It will make your grass die.

The best thing to do is send it to me, where I will keep it safe forever... :-))

prendt
28-Jun-2015, 04:18
It works on the principle of an air ioniser. The brush lifts dust up and the ioniser attracts it. It works buts is not terribly efficient as its efficiency is given (or limited) by the uplifting function of the brush. A gimmick.

prendt
28-Jun-2015, 04:22
I have one. I'd not plug it in near sensitive electronics.

There were laptops that used integrated air ioniser in their innards.

gleaf
28-Jun-2015, 07:48
In precision lab grade dust control (particles) where we did not need clean room ratings we used laminar flow benches feeding HEPA filtered air from back to front toward the technician. The filtered flow came through a honeycomb grid to ensure the flow was straight and even through the work area volume. Deionizers were also used when static behaviors required active countermeasures, mixed materials in electronic assembly and repair. Brushes spread contamination once encountered. But it sure is a industrial grade piece of photo history.

Paul Metcalf
28-Jun-2015, 08:12
No more having to rub the balloon on your shirt to make someone's hair stand on end! Great party toy!

Mark Sampson
29-Jun-2015, 07:07
The Kodak and Z-VI models are the same, both made by "The Portland Co.", but in different decades. I used one for many years. They will help keep your holders clean; never had it near 'sensitive electronics' though.

Kevin Crisp
29-Jun-2015, 07:14
I have the Chapman version, which looks more or less identical. It really does neutralize static and when you're cleaning out film holders you can see the dust just fall off when you get the brush near them. When I'm having high static in the darkroom it is also excellent for glass negative carriers to the negative doesn't skate out of position from the charge.

Bruce Barlow
29-Jun-2015, 08:03
I still think it's too dangerous for you, if you love your lawn. I don't have a lawn it would kill, and when you send it to me I'll see if it kills weeds. Those I have.

Drew Wiley
29-Jun-2015, 08:29
All kinds of these things are still made for use in electronics assembly. Every cleanroom supply house offers them. Most of them just supply deionized air, but some brush types still exist. I have a very nice gun unit on a triple-filtered low-pressure air line, but rarely use it. What I do routinely use is a large electrostatic air cleaner which attracts the dust to charged copper plates than deionizes the room air on the way out. It's much more effective than air cleaners which merely run the air through stages of filtration. I got the thing free when an old sound studio was demolished, took it apart and thoroughly refurbished it. It would probably cost a small fortune to make something equivalent nowadays because of all the sheet copper in it.