PDA

View Full Version : Probably an absurd thought, but is it do-able?

Kirks518
25-Jun-2015, 14:44
I use a Paterson two-reel tank. I've done the taco method to do 4x5 in it.

I'll be processing a roll of 120 tonight, and I'm curious if I can sneak in one sheet of 4x5 along with the roll of 120? Development times are the same (D-76 1:1 10mins @ 68°). I was thinking maybe I could put the sheet emulsion side inwards along the wall of the tank, and then the reel of 120 as normal. I'd increase the amount of developer to almost completely full, hopefully allowing enough room for the developer to agitate well enough.

Thought?

pdh
25-Jun-2015, 14:46
I think its a recipe for scratches and uneven patchy and partial development Kirk, but why not have a go and report back ... :)

Rick A
25-Jun-2015, 15:36
How much space is there between the reel and wall of the drum? Try it and report back with details and pics.

Tim Meisburger
25-Jun-2015, 18:20
I don't think it will work, as I don't think you will be sufficient developer to the emulsion. In my experience with Paterson Orbitals there is often insufficient developer on the back of negatives (the surface in contact with the tray) to remove the anti-halation layer, and I often don't get it all of until washing. But give it a try--but please don't use a special negative:rolleyes:

Daniel Stone
25-Jun-2015, 18:36
Chemistry is cheap, process it separately is my recommendation.

Defining one's own "tolerances" is something that you yourself have to determine , IF you want repeatable, dependable results.

just my $.02

Kirks518
25-Jun-2015, 19:54
Chemistry is cheap, process it separately is my recommendation.

Defining one's own "tolerances" is something that you yourself have to determine , IF you want repeatable, dependable results.

just my $.02

Valid point, and point taken. In this case, it was just going to be a time saver.

However, I won't be doing it this time, as it turns out the time of mins for the sheet film was sat stock, not 1:1. I probably will try it one day down the road, but it won't be tonight.

Mark Sawyer
26-Jun-2015, 10:22
It will work perfectly, each time, every time. Until you process an image you really care about. Welcome to large format photography...

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jun-2015, 16:54
No it will not work! I have processed enough in tanks to have unfortunately seen what happens.

I own a Nikkor SS tank, probably the best known tank and even this has flaws.

As the developer is agitated it speeds up past the spool/reel anywhere there is a restriction. This causes uneven development.

I wouldn't risk it. Taco works because there are no other restrictions in the tank.