PDA

View Full Version : 90mm & lens board for Linhof Technika IV

Wsufans
24-Jun-2015, 16:54
I am looking for a 90mm f8 Schneider lens for my Linhof as my second lens. I have seen several on ebay at prices I can afford. I see them with or without lens boards. I see them with flat or recessed lens boards. I have both types of lens boards but without lenses. However, I need to measure the opening to confirm what shutter will fit. I think a #0 but.....

The question is which lens board is the right one? Should I buy one with the board but then again which is the right one if such a thing exists. Needless to say I am a bit confused on this one.

Thanks from a newbie

**PRO**

StoneNYC
24-Jun-2015, 16:59
Depends on your camera, if the camera can compress the bellows safely enough to get 90mm (or so) between the back of the lens and the ground glass, then a flat board will be fine, the purpose of the recessed board is so that you don't have to struggle with stiff bellows possibly doing damage if you're dressing them from too many movements, the recessed board allows for less bellows compression by pushing the lens deeper in while the front standard can be farther forward for less compression of the bellows and easier movements.

Make sense?

I would say unless you have a Chamonix with universal bellows, then you probably need a recessed Technika board.

Wsufans
24-Jun-2015, 17:05
I think it is the "standard" bellows. But it also has a focusing scale for the 90mm lens. Other than getting a lens and mounting it on a lens board is there a quick way to tell which board the scale might be set for? According to the original sales receipt from Linhof it came with the 90mm lens, which is why the 90mm scale exists but it isn't clear which board it would have matched to.

It makes sense to use the recessed board to put less stress on the bellows.

Bill_1856
24-Jun-2015, 17:15
My 90mm Angulon needs a recessed board, but the Super-Angulon will work with a flat board.

Wsufans
24-Jun-2015, 17:41
Thanks Wilhelm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That gives me something to work with.

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2015, 17:56
The correct Linhof board is the 001015 recessed Comfort lens board.

Corran
25-Jun-2015, 06:26
What doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that the Linhof Technika has a "dead" area that you can't put a lens and focus without having the special "wide-angle" adapter thingy. I believe that the 90mm f/8 must be on a recessed adapter to properly make infinity on the rails (and the rails must be pushed back to the proper setting, not the "standard" setting). At least, that's what my first Linhof Tech, a IV, had to have with its 90mm f/8 lens.

You might be able to finagle it though, like half on half off of the focusing rail. I've done that with wider lenses. But I think you'll be better off with the recessed board.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2015, 06:41
What doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that the Linhof Technika has a "dead" area that you can't put a lens and focus without having the special "wide-angle" adapter thingy. I believe that the 90mm f/8 must be on a recessed adapter to properly make infinity on the rails (and the rails must be pushed back to the proper setting, not the "standard" setting). At least, that's what my first Linhof Tech, a IV, had to have with its 90mm f/8 lens.

You might be able to finagle it though, like half on half off of the focusing rail. I've done that with wider lenses. But I think you'll be better off with the recessed board.

The wide angle focusing adapter is no longer made and was for lenses shorter then 72 mm. All lenses from 72 up did not require it. Today, as that adapter is no longer made Linhof makes special helical focus mounts for each lens shorter then 72 mm. Of course, since the have extreme wide angle focusing mounts built into the camera body the Linhof Master Technika 2000 and 3000 do not require any special adapters to use lenses shorter then 72 mm.

Corran
25-Jun-2015, 07:23
It is still easily available on eBay, but I didn't go into detail as the OP has a 90mm lens. I did not mean to imply he needed the WA device.