PDA

View Full Version : need info re: cyanotype contact printing

David Reams
27-Aug-1999, 10:54
I am interested in contact printing 4x5 negs. Because of very tight space limit ations it seems that cyanotype would be a good way to start (no multi chemicals required). Any experienced advice would be welcome, Thanks Dave

Sean Donnelly
27-Aug-1999, 15:00
I don't have any experience to share with you. However, John P. Schaefer's "The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 2" (misleadingly titled -- it's not basic and has little to do with Ansel Adams) provides an excellent overview of alternate printing processes, including detailed instructions for cyanotype.

Nze christian
27-Aug-1999, 15:15
hello david as a alt photo user I could say that you can have good information about it on the web . take a look to mike ware page (I forget the url the if yousearch for this and add cyanotype you will find it), and the alternative photo list on wich you could find a great help. the on ly thing I can add is do you want all your picture to be blue.there is other process who give a more neutral color.

nze christian

Brian Ellis
28-Aug-1999, 08:11
Your best bet for learning all about this process probably is to access the archives of the alt.process newsgroup. There's a wealth of information about all aspects of the common alternative processes in those archives. If you go to Bengt's home page (do a search for "Bengt") and then scroll down to the heading "New Groups" you'll see an alt.process group. Access it and then post a question about how to get into the archives (sorry I can't tell you how to do it myself - I book marked them several years ago and forget how I originally got to them). Mike Ware's home page mentioned by someone else is supposed to be very good for cyanotype. There's also an article on cyanotype in the first or second issue of "The World Journal of Post Factory Photography." If you're interested in this new periodical (there have been three issues to far) devoted to alternative processes, send an e mail to "info@post-factory.org." BTW, the "Ansel Adams" book mentioned by someone else is terrible, riddled with errors. The gum bichromate section alone has something like fifty or so mistakes (the book was reviewed in the second or third issue of "Post Factory Photography" if you want to see a discussion of some of its numerous errors). When you get to the alt.process news group, you might ask for a recommendation for a good book that deals with cyanotype. "Keepers of the Light" by William Crawford has a section on cyanotype and is a very interesting book overall but others in the group may know of a better one.

Tony Brent
29-Aug-1999, 00:14
Cyanotypes are very easy to make, and the information in the replies should get you started. With the addition of some silver nitrate to the basic mix, you can also produce nice Van Dyke brown prints. Be aware that the potassium ferricyanide used in the formula is a silver bleach. I exposed one that wasnt completely dry after coating and lost all the image in a 8 x 10 negative.

DavidAmosPhotography
26-Dec-2009, 04:21
Wow, didn't realise that last bit of information, thanks Tony....!!

lecarp
26-Dec-2009, 06:57
http://www.alternativephotography.com/

Emil Schildt
26-Dec-2009, 07:11
a little information: http://www.emilschildt.com/TEKNIKSIDE-CYANOTYPIER.htm

R Shaffer
26-Dec-2009, 10:38
I have a couple of cyanotypes drying right now, there gonna be three color gums when I'm finished. The links already provided are great and I highly recommend the Post Factory Journal, but Brian's link is old. Email Judy Seigel jseigel@panix.com She will send you all the journals for like $35 including shipping. Best photo $$ I spent in 2009.

And Emil Schildts (gandolfi) website and images are amazing. Thanks Emil

Jon Shiu
26-Dec-2009, 10:41
You need good direct sunlight to expose, so not so easy in winter. But I have heard a UV Tanning lamp works fine. I think I got the chems from Freestyle.

Jon