PDA

View Full Version : My New Lens

Two23
19-Jun-2015, 20:13
A couple of weeks ago I took a chance on a CC Harrison lens on ebay. I've always wanted one, especially an early one. (I'm a sucker for very early lenses in general!) The provided photos were poor and I couldn't really tell anything about the condition of the glass. Seller refused to even try to unscrew the elements. I interpreted this as they did try and couldn't do it. They mentioned dirt inside the lens but wouldn't tell me if it was dark or light colored, or how much. They also had no clue about coverage or FL. (I deduced it was quarter plate and about 4 in.) They wanted four hundred dollars! I requested more photos but they wouldn't do it. Usually I run from this kind of seller, but OTOH lens dated to 1851 and from what I could tell there was nothing really wrong with the lens. It came down to if it had fungus and if the elements unscrewed.

I ended up taking a chance. The fact it was small and definitely dated to 1851 were the deciding factors. Lens came a few days later and I couldn't wait to get it home. I took it out of the box in my car while still parked in front of the post office! Lens looked very good overall. The glass appeared perfect! Now for the final test. I got a good grip on the front element and gave it a firm twist. It resisted a little, then easily came out! Same for the rear group. The front group easily reversed and screwed into the rear of the barrel. It's an early convertible! Radial drive worked flawlessly, there was no mold or dirt, glass was immaculate, and the brass was much better than the description or photos indicated. The original flange was included and easily unscrewed. In short: I SCORED!:D

Lens turns out to be about 5 in. (125mm), maybe a tad longer, and looks to be about f2.5. Image looks super on the GG of my Chamonix 045n! Serial is 1632. My plan is to send it off to Adam at SK Grimes and have him put it in Nikon F mount so I can use it on my Nikon D800E. It will be cool to be using an 1851 lens on that ultra modern camera! I likely won't see any swirly stuff, but cripes, how many people can claim they are using a pre-Civil War lens on their DSLR? :) Yes, I'm excited here!

So, anyone have any more info about the lens? I did read up about CC Harrison on all the standard internet sites. I think $400 is probably the upper limit of what it's worth, but for a lens in such basically good condition and so old, AND from CC Harrison, I don't think I got hurt any. It easily passed an inspection by Annie the Cat.

Kent in SD

Two23
19-Jun-2015, 20:19
PS--

The Nikon F3/T was another recent ebay score from a Japanese collector. I don't think it was ever used! I added AiS lenses 28mm f2, 50mm f1.2, 105mm f2.5. This plus a few filters and A/S QR plate all fit neatly into a very small Tamrac bag. Perfect for summer outings!

Kent in SD

diversey
19-Jun-2015, 20:37
What is about the cat in picture?:)

mdarnton
19-Jun-2015, 20:41
Cat is obviously to provide scale: lens is approximately one-quarter cat long, thus, a quarter-cat lens, not the usual half-cat or full-cat format.

Congratulations on your purchase! I also have made some nice buys when the seller had no ability or inclination to provide any useful information.

Two23
19-Jun-2015, 20:43
Whenever I set up the white foam boards on the dining room table and get ready to take a shot, Annie has to jump up and check it all out. Every time! Every photo I have of cameras and lenses has her in it somewhere.

Kent in SD

David Lobato
19-Jun-2015, 21:17
Nice lens. Do you plan to also try it on 4x5? Cats are good luck for my photography. I developed 4x5 sheet film tonight and Jade supervised on the kitchen counter's edge. They also inspect my LF cameras for mice and critters inside the bellows. Be glad Annie checked inside your camera so it's all okay. Good girl.

Jim Andrada
19-Jun-2015, 21:35
Yes, giving something a "Cat Scan" is a good idea. And, if you have a black or yellow Lab that will sniff it, a Lab test isn't a bad idea either.

Two23
19-Jun-2015, 21:44
Yes yes! A cat scan! I do plan on using the lens on my Chamonix as well as the Nikon. It looks very, very nice on the GG. Very smooth.

Below photo:
Annie looks into the Evil Scanner.

Kent in SD

Taija71A
19-Jun-2015, 22:13
Congratulations, on your new lens Kent!

Just remember... "There are some things money can't buy (like Annie 'The Cat').
For everything else, there is MasterCard."

Best regards, -Tim.

EdSawyer
20-Jun-2015, 07:36
I would use this on large format (4x5 if it will cover). using it on 35mm is going to be underwhelming I'd think, and wont' show the true interesting results of a lens like this.

Two23
20-Jun-2015, 08:55
I would use this on large format (4x5 if it will cover). using it on 35mm is going to be underwhelming I'd think, and wont' show the true interesting results of a lens like this.

Will use it on both. The image on the Chamonix GG was exactly what you'd expect from a quarter plate lens on 4x5, i.e. barely covers and has charecteristic swirl on the outer third of the image. I'll also use on the Nikon even though I assume this lens won't show much of the Petzval charecteristics (other than very shallow DoF and low contrast.) However, it will look very cool! One of the reasons I like historic gear is it's a way to connect me to the people & photographers of the past. By using a lens from the very dawn of photography on my state of art DSLR, I feel like I'm bringing the past back to life. At the same time, I feel like I'm directly connecting back to the very founders of American photography 165 years ago. I also have a very tiny Petzval with a slot, about 90mm FL, mounted for Nikon. I'm guessing it's from the 1880s but can't be sure. It does make images with a lot of the Petzval qualities. It's just not as cool as an 1851 Harrison. :) Few of the people who've seen me using it seem to understand my fascination with these lenses. Then again, they are equally mystified when I'm shooting a 1942 Leica IIIc or even the very modern Nikon F3/T!

If anyone has any ideas on the other small Petzval below, I'd like to know them! Might have been part of a stereo set? Carte de Viste?

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
20-Jun-2015, 09:16
These are small size carte de visite lens - what English makers called no. 1 size. Not exactly large format.

For obvious reasons, stereo sets did not have separate rack and pinion focussing.

goamules
20-Jun-2015, 11:11
Hi Kent, glad you got another very early lens. The CC Harrisons with the square mount for the focus knob are the earliest, only used for a year or two. And they were the best made in those days, along with Dallmeyer and Voigtlander, in my opinion.

StoneNYC
20-Jun-2015, 11:33
I would suggest asking SK Grimes if they might be able to make an adapter for you rather than a permanent rear fixture for your DSLR, the reason I say this is because once that fitting is on you'll have ruined the back brass portion and probably won't be able to use it on 4x5.

I don't KNOW this but I suspect it, it may also severely reduce the original image circle coverage.

Plus it's a shame to hack up a perfectly good LF lens, and most people will probably think you're just using one of those new "Lomorgraphy Petzval" lenses anyway.

Again, just a suggestion.

Randy
20-Jun-2015, 14:39
She insisted...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/tippy8x10.jpg

Two23
20-Jun-2015, 22:46
I would suggest asking SK Grimes if they might be able to make an adapter for you rather than a permanent rear fixture for your DSLR, the reason I say this is because once that fitting is on you'll have ruined the back brass portion and probably won't be able to use it on 4x5.

I don't KNOW this but I suspect it, it may also severely reduce the original image circle coverage.

Plus it's a shame to hack up a perfectly good LF lens, and most people will probably think you're just using one of those new "Lomorgraphy Petzval" lenses anyway.

Again, just a suggestion.

The other two lenses SK Grimes did for me were simply mounted in adapters they made. They screw into them and back out. I would NEVER allow an old lens to be butchered! The lens has been the way CC himself made it for ~165 years. Who am I to make permanent modifications to it? I am merely the current user.

Kent in SD

plaubel
21-Jun-2015, 03:02
I have no idea about this wonderful old lens, but I can say :
giving some fuel to the cat garantees a handy grey card cat.

prendt
21-Jun-2015, 05:01
Whenever I set up the white foam boards on the dining room table and get ready to take a shot, Annie has to jump up and check it all out. Every time! Every photo I have of cameras and lenses has her in it somewhere.

Kent in SD

Either you give Annie treats on that table and she goes to inspect what you put there or you put your photographic stuff on her territory (relaxing spots) and she inspects what will encroach her spots in the future. Annie is no fool.

Liquid Artist
21-Jun-2015, 08:46
I like the idea of mounting it on a DSLR but am kinda wondering how well the focusing will work.

Taija71A
21-Jun-2015, 09:13
I have no idea about this wonderful old lens, but I can say :
giving some fuel to the cat garantees a handy grey card cat.

Over the course of time and 'More often than not'...
Threads tend to derail around here.

However, due to Annie 'The Cat'... This thread is actually becoming more interesting and improving! We are know learning about 'Guaranteed' grey cards! ;)

Very nice picture plaubel! What was that new lens again???

Nathan Potter
21-Jun-2015, 09:23
What is about the cat in picture?:)

It's not a cat but a mutant asian leopard so judge size accordingly. We have feral versions roaming around Austin.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Taija71A
21-Jun-2015, 09:42
It's not a cat but a mutant asian leopard so judge size accordingly. We have feral versions roaming around Austin.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Hey you!
Not me... "I'm Just Too Cute!!!" :)

David Lobato
21-Jun-2015, 09:44
Here's Mercedes giving her blessing to a (mouse free) Criterion Gundlach 8x10.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55432652/8X10%20Mercedes%20DSC_4558%20600LFF.jpg

Two23
21-Jun-2015, 10:33
Over the course of time and 'More often than not'...
Threads tend to derail around here.

However, due to Annie 'The Cat'... This thread is actually becoming more interesting and improving! We are know learning about 'Guaranteed' grey cards! ;)

In the end, everything on the internet boils down to watching cat videos.;)

Kent in SD

plaubel
21-Jun-2015, 12:11
Very nice picture plaubel! What was that new lens again???

Thanks, Taija, but I am sorry - I meant the lens of Two23, not mine...

Ritchie

Taija71A
21-Jun-2015, 13:12
... I meant the lens of Two23, not mine... Ritchie

Likewise... ;)

Ritchie... There is now so many cute images of Kittens and Cats in this thread (Courtesy of Kent, Randy, David and yourself) -- That I have now almost forgotten the 'Topic of Discussion'. LOL.

Best regards, -Tim.

David Lobato
21-Jun-2015, 14:16
Large Format Photography Felines

Jim Graves
22-Jun-2015, 21:44
Yup, and I don't have to use a loupe ... Rumsford ... a very refined Maine Coon ... also of the Ginger persuasion ... does my fine focusing on all my 8x10 work.

He's quite versatile ... at least as far as formats go ... here he is at work with 35mm.

StoneNYC
23-Jun-2015, 04:32
Yup, and I don't have to use a loupe ... Rumsford ... a very refined Maine Coon ... also of the Ginger persuasion ... does my fine focusing on all my 8x10 work.

He's quite versatile ... at least as far as formats go ... here he is at work with 35mm.

Ok now that's adorable :)

My cat (Mr. Mitts) doesn't do photography but he comes on walks with me like a dog, follows me around the neighborhood.

These pictures are perfect! Just classic!

Drew Wiley
23-Jun-2015, 08:45
I've never considered cat slobber as an ideal lens cleaning fluid, nor a cat's tail as an ideal lens cleaning brush. In other words, I keep my camera gear and cats
well apart, and my print collection out of their way too. They're welcome to destroy everything else, and already have.

David Lobato
23-Jun-2015, 10:36
Sorry to continue this thread going off the rails (pun intended). Here's Jade checking the Deardorff.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55432652/Jade%20%26%20Deardorff%20DSC_5011%20700LFF.jpg

Emil Schildt
23-Jun-2015, 14:12
no Words (I am bored I think...)

StoneNYC
23-Jun-2015, 14:14
no Words (I am bored I think...)

This is absolutely precious!! You took this?!

Two23
23-Jun-2015, 20:19

A cat has a big advantage when it comes to night photography too. :)

Kent in SD

Jim Graves
23-Jun-2015, 22:28
N
A cat has a big advantage when it comes to night photography too. :)

Kent in SD

I know ... he never uses the dark cloth.

Michael Cienfuegos
24-Jun-2015, 15:41
I've never considered cat slobber as an ideal lens cleaning fluid, nor a cat's tail as an ideal lens cleaning brush. In other words, I keep my camera gear and cats
well apart, and my print collection out of their way too. They're welcome to destroy everything else, and already have.

Cat tails make good dusters if you spray them with Endust. My cat also likes to help. I try and lock her up before doing anything creative, other wise I have cat and cat fur in all my work.

m