PDA

View Full Version : Info on old 8X10 Linhof?

blupalm
18-Jun-2015, 08:35
In a moment of madness, I just bought a Linhof Kardan 8x10 with matching Linhof tripod.
The camera is missing a couple of the adjustment knobs and one the cams on the the tripods
is not working.

From the fact that the camera says " Made in Western Germany" and the low serial number:443
both it and the tripod are old.

Can anyone give me an idea of how old they are?

Thanks

Bob Salomon
18-Jun-2015, 09:39
Yours is from the first production which started with 101 in May, 1952 and ended with 518 in July, 1956. So yours was made in 1954/55.

Tin Can
18-Jun-2015, 10:19
Yours is from the first production which started with 101 in May, 1952 and ended with 518 in July, 1956. So yours was made in 1954/55.

Bob, what about the earlier model, which I have seen in ads, that had base tilt with gimbal? The standards seem similar to OP's.

Was it only a prototype? I only have this pic from page 169 of the 1959 Linhof Practice second edition. Notice the shiny areas of machined spherical metal where the standard meets the rail.

It is not shown anywhere else in the excellent Linhof camera manual.

Bob Salomon
18-Jun-2015, 10:49
Bob, what about the earlier model, which I have seen in ads, that had base tilt with gimbal? The standards seem similar to OP's.

Was it only a prototype? I only have this pic from page 169 of the 1959 Linhof Practice second edition. Notice the shiny areas of machined spherical metal where the standard meets the rail.

It is not shown anywhere else in the excellent Linhof camera manual.

His is the original model.

The prototype had tilts and swings from the same point which was designed like a knuckle or knee joint. That was the version shown originally at Photokina but proved to be impossible to produce so the version the OP has became the first production model Linhof monorail.
That was not the only non-producible Linhof that has been shown at Photokina. A more recent camera was the Linhof 612 PC III, IT had a lever wind rather then a knob advance and a more streamlined look then the 612 PC II. But it proved to be impractical to produce. So it never was made, other then the prototypes.

Tin Can
18-Jun-2015, 11:19
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon;1252930]His is the original model.

The prototype had tilts and swings from the same point which was designed like a knuckle or knee joint. That was the version shown originally at Photokina but proved to be impossible to produce so the version the OP has became the first production model Linhof monorail.
That was not the only non-producible Linhof that has been shown at Photokina. A more recent camera was the Linhof 612 PC III, IT had a lever wind rather then a knob advance and a more streamlined look then the 612 PC II. But it proved to be impractical to produce. So it never was made, other then the prototypes.[/QUOTE

Thanks Bob, now I can stop looking for one. I have 3 Linhof Kardan Color, best one is serial # 2381074 8x10 rear standard. The matching 2 forward standards have different serial #'s. All are silver paint, white knobs with geared rise.

I like them as they are heavy duty and can carry a heavy lens.

brucetaylor
18-Jun-2015, 12:40
In a moment of madness, I just bought a Linhof Kardan 8x10

I had one of those moments too. What a beautiful beast. It always gets comments in the studio.

Randy, the illustration of the camera hanging upside down is priceless.

-Bruce