PDA

View Full Version : lens found bausch lomb ge2370 4 inch f 1.1 lens ef

ToddQ
18-Jun-2015, 05:01
This is a fixed focus lens with no aperture blades I have no idea what it was used for any ideas out there ?

It seems to be a very fast lens I figure 4 inches is about 100 millimeters and f1.1
It has a screw above the base., could I adapt it?
thanks so much for your help Todd

Apologies to MOD for inappropriate Q.135633135634135635

djdister
18-Jun-2015, 05:09
It is not a large format lens. LF lenses aren't shaped like that. It's shape is entirely consistent with a projector lens, as is the fast f/stop. The ebay listing should not refer to it as a large format lens - that's flat out wrong.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Jun-2015, 06:23
It could be it be an X-Ray lens. Not particularly useful except for magnifying flat objects.

Ah, the old comic book days. X-Ray Glasses (http://www.digoliardi.net/xray-glasses.jpg), and poor English. :)

djdister
18-Jun-2015, 08:28
It could be it be an X-Ray lens. Not particularly useful except for magnifying flat objects.

Yeah, good point...

ToddQ
19-Jun-2015, 13:49
Yeah, good point...
Question, why would this lens only be good for projecting and not receiving light and taking pictures ?
Seems to be that with the proper adapters this could be a good fast lens...
Thanks Todd

djdister
19-Jun-2015, 14:00
Question, why would this lens only be good for projecting and not receiving light and taking pictures ?
Seems to be that with the proper adapters this could be a good fast lens...
Thanks Todd

A projector lens design is quite different from a "taking lens" design -its purpose is to magnify a small image and make it big and bright. When used in reverse (if it is possible) you will have a "fast" and most likely very soft imaging lens. And of course, it has no aperture, like most lenses have, so when used wide open it will have a very narrow depth of field and be soft in general. You could try to use it as a "soft focus" lens, and see what happens, but it would be an outright lie to call it a large format camera lens.

ic-racer
19-Jun-2015, 16:01
Not particularly useful except for magnifying flat objects.

Might work as a lens for an iPhone enlarger. Similar to its original function but with the illuminated screen as the small object.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Jun-2015, 16:26
Might work as a lens for an iPhone enlarger. Similar to its original function but with the illuminated screen as the small object.

I like that idea!

EdSawyer
20-Jun-2015, 07:41
the flange-focal distance is going to be very short, in addition to all the other limitations mentioned.