PDA

View Full Version : Lists?

evan clarke
15-Jun-2015, 15:59
I am curious to find out what value lists have to making pictures. A list of lenses and or cameras won't tell you how it works..Any thoughts? Or is it just intellectual curiosity?

prendt
15-Jun-2015, 16:03
A list of lenses can tell you the IC, angle of view and other very useful information needed for photography. The same with bellows length, rise and shift values etc. What's wrong with that?

vinny
15-Jun-2015, 16:15
If I don't make a list, I usually forget something important like putting film in the holders or a tripod plate on the bottom of the camera.

Toyo
15-Jun-2015, 16:27
One of the best lists is from this website:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/articles/bond-checklist.html

Here is its summary:

In summary

Use a composing card.
Level the camera.
Focus very roughly.
Use shifts to point the camera.
Choose the best location for the plane of focus.
Make an informed estimate of the amount of tilt or swing needed.
Choose two focusing targets.
Use the Focus/Check procedure to perfect the tilt or swing.
Choose the largest aperture that will provide adequate depth of field.
Return the camera movements to neutral.

Copyright © 1997 Howard Bond

Cheers
Tom

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2015, 21:29
I find a list of what to leave behind is far more edifying. The camera stuff itself becomes second nature, it's all the junk that interferes that is better left at home:)

DrTang
16-Jun-2015, 06:48
I spend all day making lists

lenses I have

lenses I MUST HAVE

what lenses go with what cameras and formats

what kinds of tests I need to shoot with what

blah, blah, blah

it kinda helps... plus it's better than actually working

Liquid Artist
16-Jun-2015, 07:03
I spend all day making lists

lenses I have

lenses I MUST HAVE

what lenses go with what cameras and formats

what kinds of tests I need to shoot with what

blah, blah, blah

it kinda helps... plus it's better than actually working

I must be weird, I'd rather spend time shooting my cameras rather than making lists.

Peter Lewin
16-Jun-2015, 07:09
Not "lists" in the sense you are talking about, rather "tables." I always carry a table of bellows extension factors, and reciprocity factors, in my camera backpack. As for proper lists, not so much lists of things to carry, but sometimes lists of ideas for photographs, or lists of pictures to re-take with notes about when the light will be coming from the best direction.

DrTang
16-Jun-2015, 07:17
I must be weird, I'd rather spend time shooting my cameras rather than making lists.

so would I..but while stuck at work...

Randy
17-Jun-2015, 07:39
Evan, not sure exactly what you are asking, but I started a post a week or so back, in the lens section, asking if there was a list of lens types, showing specific data for each type of lens (Tessar, Petzval, etc). My reason is just curiosity. Example, I just acquired from a forum member, a 360mm f/6.3 Yamasaki Congo lens in barrel - and I have no idea what kind of lens it is...tessar, dyalite,...? Not that it's going to make any difference as to how I use the lens (or how well I use the lens) once I do know...I just wanted to know.

Lenny Eiger
20-Jun-2015, 11:20
One of the best lists is from this website:

I would disagree with at least half of this.....

--Use a composing card. - No, don't use a stupid thing to visualize, use your eyes, learn to see what fits in the camera....
--Use shifts to point the camera. -- No, point your camera in the direction of your image... shifts move things in and out of the frame, should be deliberate
--Choose the best location for the plane of focus. -- only sometimes, when it makes sense... use depth of field, understand how things work..
--Choose the largest aperture that will provide adequate depth of field. - NO!, learn how well your lens works at f45 - or doesn't - and decide from there.

Yea, in summary, I agree with Evan here, lists are a total waste of time.

Lenny

Heroique
20-Jun-2015, 11:36
I am curious to find out what value lists have to making pictures.

When waiting for the wind to subside or light to change, creating lists is a great way to pass the time. ;^)

Best rock guitarists of all time.
Most intense Faulkner novels.
Sexiest high school girlfriends.
Most enchanting tent spots.
Favorite carnivorous dinosaurs.

As for most intense Faulkner novel, I can't decide between "Absalom, Absalom!" and "Light in August."

Maris Rusis
20-Jun-2015, 15:20
Evan, not sure exactly what you are asking, but I started a post a week or so back, in the lens section, asking if there was a list of lens types, showing specific data for each type of lens (Tessar, Petzval, etc). My reason is just curiosity. Example, I just acquired from a forum member, a 360mm f/6.3 Yamasaki Congo lens in barrel - and I have no idea what kind of lens it is...tessar, dyalite,...? Not that it's going to make any difference as to how I use the lens (or how well I use the lens) once I do know...I just wanted to know.

360mm f6.3 Yamasaki Congo? I have one in a Copal #3 shutter. It's a sharp sharp Tessar that works superbly on a Tachihara 8x10.

John Kasaian
20-Jun-2015, 17:25
A cable release and loaded film holders are nice.
Don't ask me how I know that :o

Randy
20-Jun-2015, 18:02
360mm f6.3 Yamasaki Congo? I have one in a Copal #3 shutter. It's a sharp sharp Tessar that works superbly on a Tachihara 8x10.Thanks Maris...will add that to my list...