PDA

View Full Version : Acros Pricing from japanexposures.com

mijosc
15-Jun-2015, 08:45
The the price of 4x5 Fuji Acros has been steadily rising in the US for the past few years. It's at $56.50 now at B&H, and is similar, or more expensive, at many other retailers. However, I just bought 3 boxes from Japan Exposures <www.japanexposures.com> for $39/box plus $13 total shipping. That's more than $10 less per box. I'm not sure if it's an exchange rate thing or what, but it's not a bad deal! Assuming everything works out with the order I'll definitely be going back for more.

They also have some Fujifilm products that are difficult to get in the states, such as 8x10 Acros, 4x5 and 8x10 Velvia 50, and Fuji Provia 400x in 35mm and 120. The cost wasn't outrageous either (although not as good as the Acros.)

Peter De Smidt
15-Jun-2015, 09:26
Shipping costs more, though, but it's great to have the option. Thanks for pointing it out! Acros is an outstanding film.

domaz
15-Jun-2015, 09:41
They are tons of Japanese -> US shipping services as well like White Rabbit (http://whiterabbitexpress.com/package-forwarding-service/). If you order through one of them then you might be able to get an even better deal than what Japan Exposures is offering.

mijosc
15-Jun-2015, 09:56
They are tons of Japanese -> US shipping services as well like White Rabbit (http://whiterabbitexpress.com/package-forwarding-service/). If you order through one of them then you might be able to get an even better deal than what Japan Exposures is offering.

I have heard of those services; however, Japan Exposures seems like a good balance between simplicity and cost.

StoneNYC
15-Jun-2015, 10:00
I also started doing group buys through a contact I made in Japan when I couldn't find Velvia50 and Acros in 8x10

That can be found here...

https://www.facebook.com/8x10Velvia50?ref=bookmarks

I've been informed that come October there will be a 20% Acros the board price increase. So whatever method you use to order (my group buy or Japan exposures or eBay etc) I suggest you order before the end of September.

axs810
16-Jun-2015, 17:02
The the price of 4x5 Fuji Acros has been steadily rising in the US for the past few years. It's at $56.50 now at B&H, and is similar, or more expensive, at many other retailers. However, I just bought 3 boxes from Japan Exposures <www.japanexposures.com> for $39/box plus $13 total shipping. That's more than $10 less per box. I'm not sure if it's an exchange rate thing or what, but it's not a bad deal! Assuming everything works out with the order I'll definitely be going back for more.

They also have some Fujifilm products that are difficult to get in the states, such as 8x10 Acros, 4x5 and 8x10 Velvia 50, and Fuji Provia 400x in 35mm and 120. The cost wasn't outrageous either (although not as good as the Acros.)

Did you have to pay anything else besides the $39/box plus $13 shipping? Any customs fees?

mijosc
16-Jun-2015, 19:29
Did you have to pay anything else besides the $39/box plus $13 shipping? Any customs fees?

Nope

axs810
16-Jun-2015, 23:41
I also started doing group buys through a contact I made in Japan when I couldn't find Velvia50 and Acros in 8x10

That can be found here...

https://www.facebook.com/8x10Velvia50?ref=bookmarks

I've been informed that come October there will be a 20% Acros the board price increase. So whatever method you use to order (my group buy or Japan exposures or eBay etc) I suggest you order before the end of September.

Who told you that? Are they are reliable source for that kind of info?

StoneNYC
16-Jun-2015, 23:47
Who told you that? Are they are reliable source for that kind of info?

Yes, it was directly from Fuji Japan, and passed to me by the owner of the photo store.

If you go to the link, and read my latest post, the full disclosure verbatim is quoted.

axs810
16-Jun-2015, 23:56
Ah sorry I didn't click the link because I don't have a facebook account...but that's interesting.

If I ever sell my D800 anytime soon I might go in on a large order. I need to get a spare fridge though

Gary Tarbert
17-Jun-2015, 00:26
I love Acros for long exposures nothing comes close , Stone are you looking like doing an order before the price rise , because i would take some . Cheers Gary

Lachlan 717
17-Jun-2015, 03:18
Yes, it was directly from Fuji Japan, and passed to me by the owner of the photo store.

So your "reliable" source is a person wanting to sell you something from afar for 20% more where first hand confirmation is difficult, if not impossible? And where competition is also equally difficult to compare?

Hmmm....

StoneNYC
17-Jun-2015, 09:19
I love Acros for long exposures nothing comes close , Stone are you looking like doing an order before the price rise , because i would take some . Cheers Gary

I hope so, if enough people buy in for the minimum, yes.

So your "reliable" source is a person wanting to sell you something from afar for 20% more where first hand confirmation is difficult, if not impossible? And where competition is also equally difficult to compare?

Hmmm....

You obviously didn't read the actual bulletin did you?

The price increase will happen months from now, and also discontinuation of certain films were listed for next year, isn't that better than what Kodak does where the price just suddenly jumps or they discontinue a full like and you don't even know about it and can't plan?

I for one would prefer to have a heads up with plenty of advanced notice, I think that's pretty honorable...

Oren Grad
17-Jun-2015, 09:50
Ah sorry I didn't click the link because I don't have a facebook account...

You don't need to have a Facebook account to read that page. It loads fine in my browser, and I don't have a Facebook account.

Lachlan 717
17-Jun-2015, 13:39
You obviously didn't read the actual bulletin [sic] did you?

You obviously didn't consider being ripped off, did you?

axs810
17-Jun-2015, 18:45
You don't need to have a Facebook account to read that page. It loads fine in my browser, and I don't have a Facebook account.

My mistake. I assumed a facebook group page would require and account to view. I should have just clicked the link to see for myself. Sorry about that

StoneNYC
17-Jun-2015, 19:00
You obviously didn't consider being ripped off, did you?

I'm happy enough to be able to purchase Velvia50 and Acros100 both in 8x10, if it weren't for people like me, Fuji wouldn't even sell any, and then we would have no E-6 at all. So, you can have your opinion that the world is ripping you off, or you can realize that the global economy of film is small and if we don't support it, it will be gone.

Nothing else performs like Acros100 (reciprocity, signature, etc) and nothing reacts to light with the color pallet I love like Velvia50, and I plan to keep it around as long as possible if I can help it. (Hence the importing to the U.S.).

And don't give me that "drop in the bucket" guff, drops add up, just look at the Grand Canyon.

It's ok to not use it, but don't be so negative man, it doesn't help the film industry at all, and we need the film industry.

cdholden
17-Jun-2015, 19:10
but don't be so negative man, ...

Pot... kettle... black.

Taija71A
17-Jun-2015, 22:29

Yes... That really is a good price. Thank-you for bringing it to our attention!

PLUS, if your order 10+ from japan exposures...
I just noticed, that there is still an additional 'Quantity Discount'. :)

*(URL is 'Reference Only' for 10+ Quantity discount).

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/neopan-acros-4x5-sheet-film.html

Nissin
18-Jun-2015, 08:08
Just for comparison, Amazon Japan sells a box of 4X5 for around $28. 8X10 can be had for about $118.

StoneNYC
18-Jun-2015, 10:41
Just for comparison, Amazon Japan sells a box of 4X5 for around $28. 8X10 can be had for about $118.

Will they ship to the U.S. though? I don't think so. I checked that before but maybe it's changed that would be great!

Peter De Smidt
18-Jun-2015, 11:58
You can use a service, such as Tenso.com, to ship the film to you from Japan. I haven't used them yet, but I've heard a few good things about them.

Michael Graves
18-Jun-2015, 12:01
I did some Yen to Dollar conversions and found the price to still be at 39.00 for a box of 4x5 Acros, but for things like Provia, B&H actually has them beat. So be careful what you buy there.

Nissin
18-Jun-2015, 18:11
At a relatively conservative 120 yen=$1, the price on Amazon Japan is $27.83 for Acros and $66.05 for Provia. B&H has them at $56.50 and $72.00, respectively. Here in Japan, however, we are slammed on the price of Kodak films. B&H has a box of 50 Tri-X 320 for $97.95: the cost on Amazon Japan is around $220!

axs810
18-Jun-2015, 20:12
Wish we could do some trading with some fellow photogs...