PDA

View Full Version : I need to get rid of my silver nitrate

axs810
13-Jun-2015, 23:04
Before I start I just want to say I know this is not the place for legal advice. I just don't know where to start so I figured the forums are a decent starting point.

I used to shoot wet plate collodion and have a bunch of silver nitrate in Pyrex bottles, but due to some recent health issues I doubt I will be able to shoot any alternative processes for awhile. I was wondering if it's legal to sell my 10% solution of silver nitrate and what safety precautions should be taken on my part? Who or where should I be asking this to for proper legal advice? I'm fairly close to Los Angeles so I doubt it would be difficult to find a local buyer, but since this stuff is potentially dangerous (if used improperly) I just want to find more info or at least get pointed in the right direction for legal advice on the topic.

Any advice is much appreciated!

cdholden
14-Jun-2015, 00:51
I can think of a few vendors that sell kits ready to go. I'd assume that covering DOT/HazMat label requirements and FedEx/UPS/whatever... regulations in shipping should be ok. It isn't a controlled substance that requires DEA paperwork. I'm not an attorney and do not offer legal advice, only opinion.

Liquid Artist
14-Jun-2015, 05:54
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope it improves soon.

I hope you contact me when your ready to sell it.

ndg
14-Jun-2015, 06:16
Sorry about your health issues. I hope everything works out.
B&S ships silver nitrate in solution all the time. I think it can only go by ground. If you do not find any buyers, talk to Dana at B&S.

John Kasaian
14-Jun-2015, 08:05
I suggest you PM john nanian. I believe he sells a kit for extracting silver from solutions.

cdholden
14-Jun-2015, 08:25
The Silver Magnet is designed to capture the silver from spent fixer. I'm not sure it would isolate Silver from a Silver Nitrate solution.

ScottPhotoCo
14-Jun-2015, 19:07
Where are you located? I can always put this to use but I'm in SoCal.

axs810
14-Jun-2015, 20:22
I'm actually in the LA/OC area but am not allowed to drive for a month because I'm doing electro-convulsive therapy for depression. So I'm temporarily immobile unless someone else drives me.

My silver nitrate has been stored in 2-3 pyrex bottles inside a 30 gallon plastic tote box....It's been awhile since I've checked the chemicals but the last time I put it away it was after being sunned. I think I also have collodion, potassium iodide, potassium iodine, 7.5x9.5 aluminum plates, 3.5x4.5 aluminum plates, silver nitrate holding bath, an ice fishing tent....and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I'll send an email to Dana at B&S to see if its legal to just sell it straight to someone...if it is and you are interested in any of this stuff ScottPhotoCo I'll PM you when I get the time to organize all that stuff.

ScottPhotoCo
14-Jun-2015, 23:18
I'm actually in the LA/OC area but am not allowed to drive for a month because I'm doing electro-convulsive therapy for depression. So I'm temporarily immobile unless someone else drives me.

My silver nitrate has been stored in 2-3 pyrex bottles inside a 30 gallon plastic tote box....It's been awhile since I've checked the chemicals but the last time I put it away it was after being sunned. I think I also have collodion, potassium iodide, potassium iodine, 7.5x9.5 aluminum plates, 3.5x4.5 aluminum plates, silver nitrate holding bath, an ice fishing tent....and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I'll send an email to Dana at B&S to see if its legal to just sell it straight to someone...if it is and you are interested in any of this stuff ScottPhotoCo I'll PM you when I get the time to organize all that stuff.

First and foremost, please take care of yourself. There is a history of depression in my family so I understand the difficulties. Beyond that let me know what I can do to help when the time is right.

axs810
15-Jun-2015, 00:16
Thank you Tim! Once I hear back from Bostick & Sullivan and recheck all my wet plate stuff I'll send you a PM.