PDA

View Full Version : Gasc & Charconnet Globe Lens Question

Pete Roody
13-Jun-2015, 12:09
Hi all,

I have a G&C globe lens that looks as if it was modified. It appears the barrel was shortened to bring the front and back lenses closer to each other. I attached a photo of my lens and it shows that much of the engraving was removed in the process of shortening the barrel. I also found a photo of a similar lens that what I believe the barrel started as. The orientation of the barrel also seems reversed.

I measured the focal length as 8.5". The glass diameter is 2-1/4".

The lens focuses fine. I did notice it has big coverage. On my 8x10 arca I was able to shift the lens 6" and it still covered the far corner. That makes me think it may cover my 14x20 format. I will try and test that but I have to recess the lens somehow to focus at infinity on that camera.

I was curious to see what you guys know about these lenses. Also why someone would have gone to the trouble to shorten the barrel? Any guesses are welcome.

Pete

Pete Roody
13-Jun-2015, 12:14
Maybe this photo shows the barrel modification better.

Steven Tribe
14-Jun-2015, 23:35
Interesting!

Are you absolutely sure the lens cells are from a Globe?
I ask because there is a more common G & C wide angle angled lens from the same era with very similar brass features and engraving.
I also remember reading that Traill Taylor in the UK ( in the 1880's) made some remarks about modifying the Globe which may have inspired someone! See attached.

Pete Roody
15-Jun-2015, 10:37
Steve,

I am not positive it is a globe lens. I called it that because G&C apparently made a version of the Harrison Globe. The lens looks identical to the one shown at Live Auctioneers (I posted the photo of that lens) except for the barrel modification, and it was called a globe there (https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2453581). Both elements are cemented doublets of the same size and curvature. And usually WA rectilinear lenses I have seen are smaller for an 8.5" focal length. But I don't know what shortening a barrel would do to the focal length if anything. If the original focal length was 12", then the glass diameter matches that for a 12" Darlot WA Hemispheric.

I would think that bringing the elements closer to each other should increase the angle of coverage. I have to make up a recessed board for it to fully test it's coverage on my 14x20 camera. Until then I will try it next weekend and shoot it on 8x10.

There is not much information on any G&C lenses that I can find on the web. Not for their globes or wa lens.

Pete

Interesting!

Are you absolutely sure the lens cells are from a Globe?
I ask because there is a more common G & C wide angle angled lens from the same era with very similar brass features and engraving.
I also remember reading that Traill Taylor in the UK ( in the 1880's) made some remarks about modifying the Globe which may have inspired someone! See attached.

Steven Tribe
15-Jun-2015, 11:16
I enclose some of the better images from Carrado's recent book on Early French lenses. The second one, the RR, has a similar serial number to yours (7919).

As you can see, the convex lens is very convex on the globe!

There are very few G & C Globe lenses around.
They have a great appeal, but other wide angles, based on lens theory rather than Harrison's false logic, are far better in use.

Pete Roody
15-Jun-2015, 11:56
the more i think about it may be a wa lens and not a globe. i have seen tele accessories that spread the lens elements to increase the focal length. so it makes sense that shortening the barrel would shorten the focal length. it is now 8.5" (measured from iris) but could have been 12-13" in the original barrel configuration. and 2-1/4" diameter glass matches the Darlot catalog info for a 12" (back focus) wa. that lens is advertised to cover 90 deg (14x17 format). it will be interesting to see if it covers my 14x20 format.

Steven Tribe
16-Jun-2015, 05:43
Just for your amusement!

This is another very altered French lens from Lerebours et Secretan. A new thread has been cut in the shortened barrel. Obviously was the property of a Gentleman user who interested in trying to get more coverage and less concerned about originality.

Steven Tribe
3-Jul-2017, 12:54
Now I have to be careful here!

I can see from my P et P booklet that G et C made a whole series of distinct Wide - Angle lenses in the period from around serial number 5,000 until quite late. The first series which was very close to the Globe was called the 6th series. Now the attentive collector might be able to this knowledge of the early serial numbers to their advantage. I say no more.

I attach some data on series 6 - the globe adaption.

I suspect that the original poster G & C lens is as it left the Paris workshop. There are examples shown in P et P which similar 1/2 or 3/4 engravings.

There is a lens in the first series of "Globes" which matches the OP description.

No. 4 -20cm focal length, lens diameter, made for 24x30cm.

Mark Sampson
3-Jul-2017, 14:17
One wonders if the OP has any pictures made with this rarity to share with us. 8-1/2" on 14x20 is pretty wide.