PDA

View Full Version : portability of 8x10 Century 10A camera

juanprieto
13-Jun-2015, 08:12
I am looking at options for my 8x10 Century 10A studio camera. It weights around 45 lbs and I need something to mount it on that goes up and down. The Semi-Centennial stand intended for it is to bulky to roll around and if I find one on eBay no one wants to ship due to weight.
Other then a $1000 heavy duty tripod what have you innovative folks come up with for a similar camera? I know I will need a platform of some type to secure camera on but what can I use to raise and lower it?

ic-racer
13-Jun-2015, 08:28
I am looking at options for my 8x10 Century 10A studio camera. It weights around 45 lbs and I need something to mount it on that goes up and down. The Semi-Centennial stand intended for it is to bulky to roll around and if I find one on eBay no one wants to ship due to weight.
Other then a $1000 heavy duty tripod what have you innovative folks come up with for a similar camera? I know I will need a platform of some type to secure camera on but what can I use to raise and lower it?

An 8x10 field camera will work well in a studio and will be easy to move around.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Jun-2015, 08:29
I got two of Semi-Centennial stands through the mail. They take down and ship easily, but it seems few are so inclined to turn a screwdriver today.

Regarding tripods, Google for "Elevator Tripod". IOW a tripod that raises via a crank. I would look at the heavier duty surveyor-type models. All of them have a head that can be modified or take a modified camera platform, and they are usually 30% (new) the price of a so-called photographer's tripod. Add a platform and be happy.

Rather than a tripod, if working in the studio consider a Studio Camera Stand. You can search for them on 'Bay using a proximity search. Find one nearby. (Where do you live?)

ic-racer: An 8x10 field camera will work well in a studio and will be easy to move around.

Indeed, and a tripod dolly works very well, and is affordable!

jnantz
13-Jun-2015, 12:29
I got two of Semi-Centennial stands through the mail. They take down and ship easily, but it seems few are so inclined to turn a screwdriver today.

very true,
they shipped back when they were made ... 27$ for the 11x14 version and 25$ for the 8x10 version

the stuio cameras are meant to be put on a camera stand, i can't imagine a 10a or 8a on a dolly or some sort of
repacement ...
page 181 says it all

https://books.google.com/books?id=irYaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR1&lpg=PR1&dq=%22the+photographic+times+and+american+photographer++volume+xx%22&source=bl&ots=RpxmWJk-Uz&sig=Bl_bJk52uNnpu_cV-D_ipTqKbig&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yjxHUbGnMOXr2QWFpYFQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22the%20photographic%20times%20and%20american%20photographer%20%20volume%20xx%22&f=false