PDA

View Full Version : Cable Release Woes

John Layton
12-Jun-2015, 11:33
I'm at the end of my rope with cloth-covered cable releases. I like them cloth-covered (as opposed to metal or plastic) for their suppleness - as this aspect equates to less risk of transferring movement, but they seem to die with great frequency - with the attachment end plunger no longer moving enough to trip a shutter.

Anybody have any recommendations for a truly decent, and decently supple, cable release? I like them about 20 inches if possible. Thanks!

Jac@stafford.net
12-Jun-2015, 12:12
Yes, except for exceptionally long clear-plastic covered releases the fabric are my favorites.

I just looked for the brand names on my bunch of best releases (http://www.digoliardi.net/cable-releases-1.jpg), and few are brand labeled except for Nikon and Minolta, and only their 20"+ are to be recommended. Regardless of lack of brand names, many of those in the picture are fabric and work very well. (There's one or two without a lock. Forget them.)

Minette (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTQwWDE2MDA=/z/ZDkAAOSw7aBVIz-C/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F) made in Japan is the very best long fabric release I've ever had. The fabric is a weave of dark red and black. Mine is early. It has a large steel finger disc and lock. There are variations, so look carefully. Some have a ridiculous grip disc by the end, others have a short threaded tip.

So it appears that you will have to buy and try. Randy Moe has gone through the same ordeal. It took me decades to acquire those I kept. Best of luck!

Michael Graves
12-Jun-2015, 12:27
I'm at the end of my rope with cloth-covered cable releases. I like them cloth-covered (as opposed to metal or plastic) for their suppleness - as this aspect equates to less risk of transferring movement, but they seem to die with great frequency - with the attachment end plunger no longer moving enough to trip a shutter.

Anybody have any recommendations for a truly decent, and decently supple, cable release? I like them about 20 inches if possible. Thanks!

The Ebony is a masterpiece, but priced accordingly. I have one that is now pushing 3 years old and still feels and operates like new. Running a very close second is the Asahi Pentax. They did make a 19", but it's rare and harder to find. The Minette mentioned by Jac is a nice option as well. They made about fifteen or twenty varieties. If you can settle for 12" release, the Nikon AR3 is very nice and the Pentax becomes easier to find.

Bob Salomon
12-Jun-2015, 13:08
John,

Any cable release will work without transferring vibration if it is used properly. ON the other hand all cable releases will transmit vibration if used improperly.

The difference is that you must leave enough slack in the release so that it is not pulled tight. Then it will not transmit vibration.

The Gepe PVC covered releases are very supple, not as supple as the Gepe cloth releases, but almost as supple. They are available up to 40" long in a choice of colors, including black.