PDA

View Full Version : Contact Printing Question: Paper & Developer

Robert Kalman
6-Jun-2015, 18:24
What paper and developer combination do you like these days for making contact prints?

blueribbontea
6-Jun-2015, 18:55
I use Lodima and Fomalux, about the same price, 2 bucks a sheet for 8X10. For developers I use either Amidol or D-72. (I mix my own). Both papers are silver chloride. Sometimes I want to use a warmtone paper and then I use Ilford fiber base, and expose under the enlarger. Same developers. Contact printing is so satisfying to me. Have fun with yours.

Rick Olson
6-Jun-2015, 20:50
Hi Robert ... I shoot TMY in 5x7, 8x20 and other odd cut sizes and contact print with Lodima and Slavich Bromportrait 80 papers. For paper developers, I use PF130 and Amidol. As Bill notes, contact printing is a wonderful process. Enjoy!

Rick

David Karp
6-Jun-2015, 21:33
I was using Kentmere FB variable contrast until Ilford killed it. Then I switched to ADOX MCC 110. I develop it in AGFA 100 paper developer, which I found in the Darkroom Cookbook. Anchell mentioned the possibility of adding bromide (I can't remember how much) to the standard AGFA 100 formula, which I tried and regularly do. I really, really, like the ADOX MCC 110. I use it for my projection printing as well.

Carl J
6-Jun-2015, 22:47
Jumping on this thread. Where are you guys getting your Amidol from, Photographers Formulary? If so, do you filter it? I've never used it personally but have seen it demonstrated in combination with Lodima paper. Impressed, however the recommended source was Artcraft who are out of stock (and have been for some time).

Thanks.

StoneNYC
7-Jun-2015, 01:35
Do people use different paper for Contact prints than for other printing? I find, like film, that it's easier to specialize on one type of paper.

Is there some reason for using a particular paper for contact prints that's different from enlarging printing?

redshift
7-Jun-2015, 04:47
Do people use different paper for Contact prints than for other printing? I find, like film, that it's easier to specialize on one type of paper.

Is there some reason for using a particular paper for contact prints that's different from enlarging printing?

+1! I do only a little contact printing using my enlargers VC light source with a diffuser in the negative stage. The negative and paper is held in an anti-Newton glass sandwich.

Wayne
7-Jun-2015, 05:49
I use whatever paper I have laying around, unless I want a particular effect like warm tones then I'll use some of my old Forte stock. For most papers I'll use whatever developer I have laying around, and for Forte I'll usually mix my own to control the tone.

Rick Olson
7-Jun-2015, 09:29
Jumping on this thread. Where are you guys getting your Amidol from, Photographers Formulary? If so, do you filter it? I've never used it personally but have seen it demonstrated in combination with Lodima paper. Impressed, however the recommended source was Artcraft who are out of stock (and have been for some time).

Thanks.

Hi Carl ... Yes, I purchased my Amidol from Artcraft. It's a bit more pleasant to use than the Chinese Amidol, which I also have (and filter when using).

Rick

Rick Olson
7-Jun-2015, 09:40

Hi Stone ... You can use any type of paper for contact printing. I prefer using graded paper for simplicity so as to not have another layer of complexity with VC papers, which then would involve having to use my enlarger with longer exposure times, etc. All I need is a lightbulb, glass plate, wood base, paper and I am all set. I have standardized on Lodima and Bromportrait papers which are very close in tonality for my negatives.

Rick

Jim Noel
7-Jun-2015, 09:43

Contact papers are silver chloride and contain no silver bromide. They are several stops slower allowing fro more control, and they have a much longer contrast range.

StoneNYC
7-Jun-2015, 11:45
Contact papers are silver chloride and contain no silver bromide. They are several stops slower allowing fro more control, and they have a much longer contrast range.

OH!!!!! So the OP meant stuff like Azo? I think that's a non Silver Bromide right?

Ok NOW I get it! Thanks! I've always just used the same paper for contact as enlarging, but now I see the benefit and reason for the post, thanks Jim!

Greg Y
7-Jun-2015, 12:52
Stone, Now that you have secured your Fuji 600 (congratulations!)....the long tunnel of contact printing is definitely a rabbit warren one can get lost in. If you haven't already...check this site. The folks responsible for keeping Azo going for so long & for developing Lodima paper:
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/

StoneNYC
7-Jun-2015, 14:13
Stone, Now that you have secured your Fuji 600 (congratulations!)....the long tunnel of contact printing is definitely a rabbit warren one can get lost in. If you haven't already...check this site. The folks responsible for keeping Azo going for so long & for developing Lodima paper:
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/

Thanks for the link. One thing at a time, I'll be contact printing 8x10, 11x14, and 14x17 Ilford WT semi-matte, Art300, and Foma Variant123 only for at least the next year before I use any specialty papers. Perhaps after that I'll branch out.

Robert Kalman
7-Jun-2015, 15:09
OH!!!!! So the OP meant stuff like Azo? I think that's a non Silver Bromide right?

Ok NOW I get it! Thanks! I've always just used the same paper for contact as enlarging, but now I see the benefit and reason for the post, thanks Jim!

Yes, I meant stuff like Azo ;-) So, based on thread responses to my original question, besides Lodima, with which I have some familiarity, there is also Bromportrait, which is apparently only available through the manufacturer in Lithuania, and Fomalux. I just ordered some Fomalux from Freestyle. Many thanks to everyone.

jnantz
7-Jun-2015, 15:26
What paper and developer combination do you like these days for making contact prints?

you can contact print on most anything, rc to fb, dw to sw, glass, paper or metal ( if you coat your own).
i like making beefy LF negatives which are suited to using silver chloride / azo and ansco130 ...
but will probably be making my own contact speed emulsion before the summers' end.
should be nice to make glass, metal and paper contact prints ;)

Rick Olson
7-Jun-2015, 16:05
Yes, I meant stuff like Azo ;-) So, based on thread responses to my original question, besides Lodima, with which I have some familiarity, there is also Bromportrait, which is apparently only available through the manufacturer in Lithuania, and Fomalux. I just ordered some Fomalux from Freestyle. Many thanks to everyone.

B & H sells the full Slavich line (Bromportrait and Unibrom) through a distributor. Just ordered a batch!

Rick

Carl J
8-Jun-2015, 20:31
Rick, have you used any of these Slavich papers for contact printing before? Is there Checked B&H and the price is certainly reasonable. Would you recommend the Bromportrait 80? Which developer(s)?

Thanks.

welly
8-Jun-2015, 20:53
At the moment, just standard cheap and cheerful Ilford RC paper until I get my darkroom processes in place but have a pack of Fomalux 111 at the ready for when I do. Still really pleased with the results I'm getting even on the Ilford paper. And it's still a huge novelty to friends/family who have seen my prints to actually hold a photograph again.

Rick Olson
8-Jun-2015, 22:29
Rick, have you used any of these Slavich papers for contact printing before? Is there Checked B&H and the price is certainly reasonable. Would you recommend the Bromportrait 80? Which developer(s)?

Thanks.

Hi Carl J - Yes, I have been using Bromportrait 80 papers for my contact printing for a few years now when Freestyle Photo was selling it. Found it again recently at B & H through their supplier. Many of the images you see that I have posted in the "LF image only, no written comments, reply by image only" thread are scans of my Bromportrait 80 contact prints. For a print developer, I am using Photographers Formulary PF130 (Ansco 130). I use Lodima paper also and it's terrific, but it's very expensive for me, so I was looking for an supplemental option, did some experimentation with other graded papers (EMAKS Graded-now discontinued) and found that Slavich Bromportrait 80 was a very close match to Lodima in tonality and contrast range, along with being very affordable. I mostly use TMAX400/TMY film along with Efke/Ilford and develop my negatives to a density suitable for Lodima/Slavich.

Rick

Carl J
9-Jun-2015, 21:56
Thanks, Rick, that's very helpful. Nice work.