PDA

View Full Version : Austin Granger at the Portland Photographic Society

austin granger
5-Jun-2015, 17:58
Hello all. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be presenting a slide show of my work and speaking about it at the Portland Photographic Society this coming Monday, June 8th, from 7:00 to 9:00. I'm not sure of the size of the space, but I was told that I could invite people, so consider yourself invited. Please come and shore me up! :-)

Best Regards,

Austin

The presentation will be held at:

Saint Paul Lutheran Church
3880 SE Brooklyn Street
Portland, OR 97202

http://portlandphotographicsociety.org/calendar/?mc_id=195

Bill_1856
5-Jun-2015, 18:44
Congratulations, and good luck.

(PS, your flickr site is difficult to navigate.)

Richard Wasserman
5-Jun-2015, 19:52
Good on you—have fun!

David Karp
5-Jun-2015, 20:08
Congratulations Austin. Enjoy.

Bob Sawin
5-Jun-2015, 20:43
Congrats Austin. No doubt you will "wow" them.

Vaughn
5-Jun-2015, 20:45
Great! May the AV gods be with you!!!

austin granger
5-Jun-2015, 21:11
Thanks all. I appreciate the encouragement. This sort of thing makes me very nervous, but I'm putting together some flash cards I can resort to if I start hyperventilating.

Wilhelm, thanks. I'm not sure what's up with flickr, but I don't have much control over the layout there. I wish they'd stop changing their look and leave well enough alone. Anyway though, I do have albums there that are organized by subject matter, and also by format if that helps. I even have an album called "PPS Talk" (scroll to the bottom) which contains all of the images that I'm planning on showing Monday night. Unfortunately, if you only view them there, you'll miss all my witty banter... Ha ha

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/sets

Merg Ross
5-Jun-2015, 21:54
Good to hear, Austin. Hope you draw an appreciative audience!

All best,

Merg

Peter Lewin
6-Jun-2015, 04:49
Austin, Unfortunately the opposite side of the continent, but congratulations! Your work is always interesting, and maybe someday you can "bookend" this talk with one on the East Coast!

jp
6-Jun-2015, 05:58
I'd show up if it were closer!

It's your time, but just some suggestion to assure it goes well; Some of the high key photos may not project well; when something is mostly high key, you might see the wall or screen texture more than the photo details. I'd suggest whittling down the list a bit more, and leaving time for Q&A/discussion (and have backup slides out of what you trimmed from the main presentation if the audience is of few words). People show up to these things to both see and talk. They'd use the Internet or a book if it were just to see photos.

jcoldslabs
8-Jun-2015, 16:47
Bump for a good guy and talented photographer. Only two hours until liftoff!

J.

RSalles
8-Jun-2015, 18:34
Totally agree!
If I could... But my positive thoughts are with you, Austin.
I remember have listened to your Point Lobos poem registered at your website, it had made a big impression on me.
You're a poet using photography as a tool,

Cheers,

Renato

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jun-2015, 19:55
Austin, congratulations. I hope to check events like this out when we move to the Vancouver Washington area hopefully by the end of the year.

jcoldslabs
8-Jun-2015, 23:38
The talk was great. Very insightful stuff. Austin spoke eloquently about his work. Bonus: I got to meet his mom, and she is a sweetie.

Jonathan

Old_Dick
9-Jun-2015, 08:28
I just wish it were in Portland Maine. You have great style. I'm a fan of your work.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)

fishbulb
10-Jun-2015, 08:12
I attended as well. Austin did a great job even with the extreme heat we had on Monday. The presentation was interesting and educational, and he obviously put a lot of time and thought into it. He brought in a bunch of prints and some cameras, including a very nice Deardorff Special, panoramic Noblex, and Fuji 6x7. He also talked a bit about writing his book on Point Reyes and read some excerpts.