PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 dual purpose Suggestions

jasonphoto01
4-Jun-2015, 08:13
Ok first off glad to be apart of a huge wealth of knowledge and love for nostalgic photography. Ive searched through alot of threads and have gotten a bunch of insight as i dive back into LF photography. I attended Brooks Institute many many years ago and cut my teeth on 4x5 and the darkroom. Today I shoot as a hobby and ive gotten a little tired of shooting digital and often find myself longing for the quality and pureness LF provides. With that being said id like to purchase a LF camera and im leaning more towards 8x10 over 4x5. I fell in love with Richard Avedons "In the American West" and this is the sort of thing ill be shooting. Ill also trek through the swamps and backroads of south Louisiana to get images of the nature here. ill add that im 36 and in very good shape and wouldnt want to sacrifice durability for weight. I know the Deardorff's have a great reputation but I feel alot of that value is associated with the nostalgia. My concern falls more into something that is reliable but not overly heavy and looking cool in front of others carries little weight for me. Is there anyone out there with similar interests who has insight into what has worked for them? Any info is greatly appreciated and thank you

ghostcount
4-Jun-2015, 09:07
8x10 FTW - 8x10 allows you to shoot smaller formats with the appropriate back.

Which one? Well, you'll get plenty of answers here.

To get you started, Daniel Perez created a spread sheet located here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?105580-List-of-8x10-Field-Cameras). :cool:

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2015, 09:42
How much are you willing to spend?

When I started looking at 8x10's I set my budget at $1,000 or less but found nothing that interested me. I really wanted a Wehman, Deardorff or Kodak Master. I did find some Deardorffs in my price range but they were pretty ratty. When I found a Wehman at $1,500 I stepped up to the plate and bought it with no regrets.

For lightweight look at the Ritter, Chamonix or Wehman. All three of these cameras are hard to find used and only the Ritter and Chamonix are available new.

Avedon used a 360mm lens on a Deardorff for his American West series which is a normal lens. Be sure to decide which lenses you will use before buying a camera. If you shoot 4x5 on your 8x10 camera that wide angle you want may not work. Also make sure you have enough bellows to allow you to focus as close as you want with your longest lens.

John Kasaian
4-Jun-2015, 10:04
Welcome to the 8x10 format! :)
What's your budget?
After 30 days you'll be able to access the FS section here, and it's probably going to be one of the better places to shop around for a used 8x10 kit.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jun-2015, 10:27
If I could do it over, rather than getting a Deardorff V8 (8x10) I would try the Kodak Master View 8x10 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/kodak/masterview.html) for field work.

jasonphoto01
4-Jun-2015, 11:14
Well my budget is 5k between a camera and a nice used 360mm Schneider or Fujinon. I really dont have any desire to shoot 4x5 so having that back or dealing with different lenses isnt of much interest for what i wanna do. Also my budget doesnt mean I wanna spend that much...I just dont wanna limit myself from something that suits my needs.

jp
4-Jun-2015, 12:18
They vary quite a bit; If you can get to a workshop or outing of large format photographers you can experience many of them first hand.

I have Burke and James 8x10's. They are affordable but not very compact.
The Kodak Master View would be desirable for being compact and sturdy. It folds up into a metal case!
The Deardorff is very nice and folds into a wooden case.
If I used it enough to warrant the expense, I'd get a 8x10 camera from Canham. It would fit within your budget.

There are plenty of options out there; these are what i've played with personally.

You can probably get a nice used lens for about $500.

Regardless of the camera, you want one of Canham's glass protectors, and a few film holders too. Expect to spend $500-700 on a nice used Ries tripod+head as well.

Thom Bennett
4-Jun-2015, 13:17
Jason,

I'm in New Orleans and have a Kodak Master 8x10 if you'd like to check one out. It's durable, quick focusing, and has a bit more rise on the front end than the Deardorff.

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2015, 13:30
Jason,

I'm in New Orleans and have a Kodak Master 8x10 if you'd like to check one out. It's durable, quick focusing, and has a bit more rise on the front end than the Deardorff.

Take Thom up on his generous offer. You can look at pictures on the internet all you want but there is nothing like getting your hands on an actual camera.

jasonphoto01
4-Jun-2015, 14:06
Jason,

Yes id love that Thom. Please send me a PM with your number

Thom Bennett
4-Jun-2015, 14:49
PM sent

axs810
4-Jun-2015, 15:39
Wehmans are great cameras...very lightweight and versatile. I'd suggest trying to find one of those since you have a pretty flexible price range

Ari
5-Jun-2015, 07:11
In a field camera, I've encountered nothing as solid, reliable, and precise as the Toyo 810M.
You do have to accept that it weighs a few more pounds than most other 8x10 field cameras (16 lbs.), but the trade-off is worth it.

neil poulsen
5-Jun-2015, 08:58
Well my budget is 5k between a camera and a nice used 360mm Schneider or Fujinon. I really dont have any desire to shoot 4x5 so having that back or dealing with different lenses isnt of much interest for what i wanna do. Also my budget doesnt mean I wanna spend that much...I just dont wanna limit myself from something that suits my needs.

That's a rather large budget for a camera and single lens. How about a Shen Hao, and say a 355mm G-Claron (about $750)? Or, a 360mm Symmar S, which can sometimes be found for under $500. (They're large, but excellent lenses.) On the used market, perhaps you could find one of the magnesium Calumet 8x10's. Someone recently had one for sale here.

StoneNYC
5-Jun-2015, 09:41
My recommendation....

Chamonix 8x10 NEW (make sure to get the Linhof Technika reducing lensboard adapter).
$3,215 (plus adapter $180 plus shipping $115 = $3,510 total).

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

Fujinon 300 C used ($400-$600)

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Fujinon+300+C&isNewKw=1&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=fujinon+300+c&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfujinon+300+c

Total around $4,000

Leaves you $1,000 for a second lens or other accessories, film holders, etc.

Sure you'll blow it all but it will be worth it, I own this kit and it's AMAZING!! Sturdy, stiff, light, just great.

Plus Hugo the U.S. Rep is fantastic and a great photographer who actually shoots. (His 16x20 Chamonix....) so he knows what he's talking about and responsive to emails.

PS, as you get older you'll appreciate the light weight of this setup, it's under 10lbs with the lens included...

angusparker
5-Jun-2015, 10:12
My recommendation....

Chamonix 8x10 NEW (make sure to get the Linhof Technika reducing lensboard adapter).
$3,215 (plus adapter $180 plus shipping $115 = $3,510 total).

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

Fujinon 300 C used ($400-$600)

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Fujinon+300+C&isNewKw=1&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=fujinon+300+c&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfujinon+300+c

Total around $4,000

Leaves you $1,000 for a second lens or other accessories, film holders, etc.

Sure you'll blow it all but it will be worth it, I own this kit and it's AMAZING!! Sturdy, stiff, light, just great.

Plus Hugo the U.S. Rep is fantastic and a great photographer who actually shoots. (His 16x20 Chamonix....) so he knows what he's talking about and responsive to emails.

PS, as you get older you'll appreciate the light weight of this setup, it's under 10lbs with the lens included...

Great suggestion. Only other camera I'd consider would be the Ritter but only if you value light weight more than precision because you are going to trek out to take pictures. I'd also get two more lenses:

Fujinon 210w with lettering on inside
Fujinon 300c (already suggested)
Fujinon 450c

Drew Wiley
5-Jun-2015, 10:28
Unless this is just for studio use, I'd think the newer folders made from modern hybrid materials are going to way more practical than some big klunker with a nostalgic cult reputation. I happen to shoot a Phillips 8x10 myself, and there's a reason why. Even though it was just about the cheapest 8x10 made back when I
bought it, the resale prices are now among the very highest. It's ergonomic and stable in wind. Now you've got things like Chamonix and several others that try
to copy that formula. Or if you want classic and new, and superbly crafted, you can't beat Ebony; but get a defibrilator before you ask the price. In monorails, Sinar F and the previous Norma are relatively portable, though it takes time to find a clean one. I gotta disagree with Stone - that whippersnapper - on one minor detail. The Fuji C 300 is a bit limited on 8x10 coverage. The 300 A has way more coverage, or move up to the 450C. But all of these are lightweight, compact, and optically superb.

angusparker
6-Jun-2015, 17:08
300A does have more coverage but also a 55mm filter ring. Sometimes I think it's nice to have a single size like 52mm...

John Kasaian
6-Jun-2015, 17:27
If you want a really lightweight 8x10, you might look for a Gowland Pocket or the ever illusive Nagaoka 8x10. For a lightweight lens the 240 G Claron is the one I always take hiking.
Of course you'll still have all those heavy 8x10 holders to carry!
A Century Universal is a good bit lighter than a 'dorff and comes up on the used market occasionally. That might be worth checking out...if it was good enough for EW...?

However to be honest, I'm not one who should give advice about 8x10s on a five grand budget---my kit is that of a "bottom feeder" in an 8x10 ocean.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Jun-2015, 17:39
ill add that I am 36 and in very good shape and wouldnt want to sacrifice durability for weight.

So many responses ignored the original post. They guy is not terribly concerned about weight. Portability concerns about sharp, angular parts are probably more important.

Corran
6-Jun-2015, 18:39
Sure you can blow 4-5 grand on a new Chamonix and a bunch of lenses, but why? You'll get the same images with a nice user camera. My Wista 8x10 cost me about $800, though that was a deal. And it's light. A lens or two of your choice from the many options, and a few film holders, you could be into it under $2k. The above suggested Kodak Century Universal is another good suggestion, a real sleeper. Had one and sold it, kind of miss it sometimes.

But the Chamonix is certainly pretty, so, if that happens to be important to you, go for it.

If it were me I'd budget another $400-500 on a good carbon fiber tripod and leveling head.

Alan Gales
6-Jun-2015, 19:22
Bryan, you stole that Wista! What a deal!

For $400 to $500 you could also buy a used Ries tripod and head. If I remember correctly I paid $350 for my used Ries J200 with double tilt head. My buddy, Harold, owns a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with Gitzo pan/tilt head. His was free since his wife bought it for him brand spanking new as a birthday present. I wouldn't trade my Ries for it but he wouldn't trade me either. I will admit the thing is feather light.

Corran
6-Jun-2015, 20:02
True! It's a bit rough around the edges though. Whatever, it makes images.

Those Ries tripods sure are pretty. I hike for long distances though so weight for me is paramount.

Lachlan 717
6-Jun-2015, 20:06
I'd suggest looking at the lens kit first, and then the box they'll be put in front of.

I'd go with the aforementioned G Claron 240mm, G Claron 355mm and add the Nikkor 450mm for the longer end. All for under $2k.

Add a new Shen Hao FCL810A and you'll still have enough for the extras. Film holders, loupe, dark,cloth etc.

Alan Gales
6-Jun-2015, 20:27
True! It's a bit rough around the edges though. Whatever, it makes images.

Those Ries tripods sure are pretty. I hike for long distances though so weight for me is paramount.

They are pretty but I like them especially for the leg locks. The long spikes are nice too off road. I also really like the Ries heads with their large platforms.

I don't hike long distances due to a bad back so I can take the extra weight for now. One day I may have to go carbon fiber though.

Vaughn
6-Jun-2015, 20:46
So many responses ignored the original post. They guy is not terribly concerned about weight. Portability concerns about sharp, angular parts are probably more important.

At 61 years old, I carry a pound a year (8x10)...but in the future I might need to cut that down to 12 ounces per year!

Alan Gales
6-Jun-2015, 21:25
At 61 years old, I carry a pound a year (8x10)...but in the future I might need to cut that down to 12 ounces per year!

Do what you need to do, Vaughn, as long as you keep making those wonderful b&w landscape images! :) I really like your photographs!

jasonphoto01
7-Jun-2015, 22:21
Any recommendations on places to purchase? Other than craigslist and ebay

axs810
7-Jun-2015, 22:46
After 30 days of being registered on the forums you'll have access to the B/S/T section of the forum

StoneNYC
7-Jun-2015, 22:47
Whoops!

DKirk
8-Jun-2015, 02:30
In a field camera, I've encountered nothing as solid, reliable, and precise as the Toyo 810M.
You do have to accept that it weighs a few more pounds than most other 8x10 field cameras (16 lbs.), but the trade-off is worth it.
+1 - it's heavier but also consider the Toyo 810G monorail - damn heavy but gives you the option of replacing the 10x8 back for the 4x5 or 5x7 rear standards (with the parts I've now got, as long as I don't extend the bellows by more than 1 extra length , I could shoot both 5x4 or 10x8 simultaneously - worked out cheaper to buy some of the parts in a bundle giving me extra standards plus a rail. Or in one case to replace the bubble levels, cheaper to buy a whole standard. . .)

jasonphoto01
10-Jun-2015, 13:43
What about a Calumet C-1?

jasonphoto01
16-Jun-2015, 18:53
Went with the Kodak. Thanks again to Thom for giving me the rundown on his. I believe it'll suit my needs very well. Now all I have to do is patiently wait on shipping.