PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Adapt-A-Roll 620 and Crown Graphic

Woellerd
1-Jun-2015, 14:48
I recently have received my uncle's crown graphic and all of it's accessories. There are many 4x5 film holders and I know he has used all of them. There is also an Adapt-a-Roll 620. I thought that this may be the way for me to start out. I have the instructions, and purchased some 620 roll film. I loaded the Adapt-a-roll with no problem. Where I do have a problem is that there is not enough tension on the film spool to make the film advance activator (hope that makes sense) at the turnaround end to function. I have ruined two rolls of film as it just won't move the counter. The film does advance, and if I have the AAR back open and apply a bit of pressure to the spool to keep it tight, the counter works fine as I advance the film. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is there a difference in the newer films? Am I just out of luck with the AAR? Thanks for any thoughts as I'm new here.

Dan Fromm
1-Jun-2015, 15:29
I use AAR 620s, have never had the problem with freshly unwrapped 120 film.

Speak to all of the pivots and parts that turn with graphite powder, work the frame counter -- turn the roller at the far end by hand -- until the frame counter works freely and consistently.

Woellerd
2-Jun-2015, 06:10
Thank you for your time and thoughts Dan. I have taken the steps that you proposed, and things turn much more freely now. I will cautiously try one more roll. I have one more question. In your response you say that you feed 120 film. Is that a possibility if you use a 620 spool to take up. I have read about that practice but have never seen it in practice.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jun-2015, 06:51
We have been using 120 film in 620 backs and cameras for some time, so there is some good information out there.

Try Google with the phrase, convert 620 camera to 120

Dan Fromm
2-Jun-2015, 08:18
Thank you for your time and thoughts Dan. I have taken the steps that you proposed, and things turn much more freely now. I will cautiously try one more roll. I have one more question. In your response you say that you feed 120 film. Is that a possibility if you use a 620 spool to take up. I have read about that practice but have never seen it in practice.

My AAR 620s must take up on a 620 spool. There's no alternative without substantial machining. I rewind exposed film on to a 120 spool before sending it out for processing. That's what changing bags are for. Since exposed film isn't always wrapped tightly on the take-up spool I put the roll holder in a changing back to remove exposed film.

JAC, a few people have converted AAR 620s to take up on 120 film. A few, and none profitably. There's a hint.

Woellerd
3-Jun-2015, 08:00
Thanks once again Dan. Since I ruined the two 620 roles, that gives me 2 spare 620 spools. Gotta look at the bright side. The next step for me might be a good cleaning and service for these shutters. I also just noticed that we are both from Jersey. Quite a coincidence. :-)