PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Portrait short focus

DrTang
1-Jun-2015, 09:50
anyone have one?

I have one..maybe..

big brass lens - waterhouse stops.. #6 on it (w/o the # part obvie)

seems to research out to a Voigtlander Portrait Anastigmat III #6 (f4.5)

which should be 16.5"

but when I go to use it..first..it seems more like 14" at best... and it is very difficult to focus as it cramps up the bellows on my century 7 ..a lot

if fact..focusing farther than about 12 feet is impossible

I am looking at getting a recessed board...but

is this typical..is it that short focus?? and why does it seem 14" when it's supposed to be 16.5"

yeah-yeah..no pix handy right now..but.. you know what they look like

Tim Deming
2-Jun-2015, 05:28
Portait anistigmat III f4.5??

You mean portrait Euryscope III f4.5?

Or the triplet design (licensed from cooke) portrait anastigmat f4.5?

As far as i've seen in many years looking, Voigtlander never made a portrait anastigmat III lens

Cheers

Tim

You should be able to tell the diff. Between these 2 types of lenses.

DrTang
2-Jun-2015, 07:16
from what I've read..it's pre-Euryscope... but Euryscope formula

does that make sense?

anyway.. I believe it is a series III..might be a II (f4).. but probably a III (f4.5)

Louis Pacilla
2-Jun-2015, 09:55
anyone have one?

I have one..maybe..

big brass lens - waterhouse stops.. #6 on it (w/o the # part obvie)

seems to research out to a Voigtlander Portrait Anastigmat III #6 (f4.5)

which should be 16.5"

but when I go to use it..first..it seems more like 14" at best... and it is very difficult to focus as it cramps up the bellows on my century 7 ..a lot

if fact..focusing farther than about 12 feet is impossible

I am looking at getting a recessed board...but

is this typical..is it that short focus?? and why does it seem 14" when it's supposed to be 16.5"

yeah-yeah..no pix handy right now..but.. you know what they look like

from what I've read..it's pre-Euryscope... but Euryscope formula

does that make sense?

anyway.. I believe it is a series III..might be a II (f4).. but probably a III (f4.5)

If your lens is marked as "Anastigmat" then it's NOT a Euryscope ,the name that Voigtlander gave their Rectilinear lenses. By the time astigmatic corrections where a reality Voigtlander had been making the Euryscope for several decades and had the series's down pat.

From the sounds of your lens it does not behave like any of my Euryscopes including my Portrait Euryscope Series III #6 16 3/4"fl #113.194 late model.

DrTang
2-Jun-2015, 10:01
it's not marked anything other than the name and town and #6

Louis Pacilla
2-Jun-2015, 10:18
it's not marked anything other than the name and town and #6
Sorry you mentioned Anastigmat in your 1st post and I thought that was the engraving. Non the less the way you describe your lens is behaving does not match the way any of my Euryscope Series III/IV's behave. They behave like a Fast rectilinear should.

I think you could be helped out by showing photos of your lens both complete & broken down.

Steven Tribe
2-Jun-2015, 10:24
Efl 14" and no. 6 sounds like an early series II Euryscope

DrTang
2-Jun-2015, 10:48
Efl 14" and no. 6 sounds like an early series II Euryscope

that sounds better.. I had it spec'd out to an early series III f4.5... but it might be a f4

if you have one..do you have trouble focusing close (less than 15' say) ? the trouble is the flange is at the very back so the nodal point is way the heck out there

I'm wondering if a recessed board might help..OR... an element is reversed or something causing all sorts of monkey-business

I've just not been overly happy with the performance even though it looks impressive enough to ignore that

I've been happier with the Wollensak Vesta 11.5" (for 5x7...I wonder if it might cover 8x10???)

oy... I so do want that hunka-hunka lens to shine

Steven Tribe
2-Jun-2015, 23:04
Please note that the Early Euroscopes do not always follow the designated F speeds (F4, 4.5, 6) for their series. This is true for the larger sizes in the approximate serial number range 21,000 - 32,000.

DrTang
3-Jun-2015, 19:23
serial # 23643

DrTang
4-Jun-2015, 07:44
what ho, Brobantio!

found this: http://www.motamedi.info/text/French%201890.pdf

which basically tells me my lens is an 11" 'first series' Portrait Lens - quick worker

which is further confirmed in the text of the Portrait Euryscope below that where it describes the construct as unlike the regular portrait lens' construction of single element upfront and two separate in the rear..which is what I found in taking it apart last night

#6(no B though)

also in the text..it says the aperture has a 'ratio of 1:3 1/16 or f3.16... is that true? or does that really mean f4?

Steven Tribe
4-Jun-2015, 12:18
My catalogues shows a Petzval series with a (plain!) size 6 which has a slightly longer efl at 30.6cm. This has a front lens diameter of 92mm which is not the same as the 6B (3.5"). Note there was a reason for the earlier B mark because Voigtlander made other slower series than the F3.2 - just like Dallmeyer did.

So, you must measure the front achromat diameter.

DrTang
4-Jun-2015, 15:09
just measured - bigger than 3.5" - more like 92mm

so..what f stop?

and name?