View Full Version : ondu Kickstarter

plywood
31-May-2015, 11:10
New Kickstarter project from Ondu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ondu-/ondu-pinhole-cameras-mk-ii

They are pinhole cameras and include two types of 4X5, a 5X7 and an 8X10

Tin Can
31-May-2015, 11:20
Looks good, too bad they are not made from plywood!

Just kidding! :)

plywood
31-May-2015, 11:35
I followed (but did not back) their last Kickstarter. It would seem to me the greatest danger from this kind of project is too much success. A situation where they have to produce thousands of cameras instead of just a few hundred. Interesting designs though, with the magnetic closures for the backs. I'm not sure how the bars on the large format cameras hold the film holders tight. I would like a better understanding of that.

Tin Can
31-May-2015, 11:40
I followed (but did not back) their last Kickstarter. It would seem to me the greatest danger from this kind of project is too much success. A situation where they have to produce thousands of cameras instead of just a few hundred. Interesting designs though, with the magnetic closures for the backs. I'm not sure how the bars on the large format cameras hold the film holders tight. I would like a better understanding of that.

I am more interested in their recalculations of pinhole sizes. I feel Mr Pinhole (http://www.mrpinhole.com/) has all that well covered.

If they sell 1000's they have jobs for a while. Cottage industry works for a few...for a while...

But they have many orders already and more people will use film and sundries. Good news!

koh303
31-May-2015, 11:52
+1!

Just got the 8X10... looks super cool

welly
31-May-2015, 16:30
I'm keen on buying a 4x5 pinhole camera but I'm really hesitant to support a kickstarter campaign. I'm yet to read of a successful, trouble-free kickstarter campaign - they all seem to go tits up. Looking at the first ondu campaign, it seems that it took almost a year for everyone to get their cameras. That would drive me nuts, particularly if I'd paid good money for one. There's a local guy that hand-builds pinhole cameras, which are more expensive than this one but I know at least I'll get one within the year.

Blimey. Look at me going all Drew Wiley.

koh303
31-May-2015, 19:18
I'm keen on buying a 4x5 pinhole camera but I'm really hesitant to support a kickstarter campaign. I'm yet to read of a successful, trouble-free kickstarter campaign - they all seem to go tits up. Looking at the first ondu campaign, it seems that it took almost a year for everyone to get their cameras. That would drive me nuts, particularly if I'd paid good money for one. There's a local guy that hand-builds pinhole cameras, which are more expensive than this one but I know at least I'll get one within the year.

Blimey. Look at me going all Drew Wiley.

We ran 2 KS projects, both were fulfilled before schedule. MANY KS projects turn out just fine, on or before schedule.
Some are colossal fiascoes, you have to do your research on the people running the project. In this case, they have successfully completed an as large project a while back. That in it of its own is not much to say, as the folks running the travelwide also had a successful project under their belts.