PDA

View Full Version : Artara & Haggis

tim atherton
25-Jan-2005, 23:00
I see Andy and Artara are giving away a free can of Haggis with their latest Goerz over on the auction site.

Must be for Burns Night or some other strange pagan ritual... :-)

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2005, 23:06
Is that Haggis trademarked? I wouldn't dare mention it if I were them. The trademark police are very protective of their Haggis.

tim atherton
25-Jan-2005, 23:12
He does say he smuggled it into the US, so it must be grey market Haggis (isn't all Haggis grey..?)

Doesn't HP hold the trademark for Haggis in the US? No - maybe I'm wrong - HP is that brown sauce stuff - regular or fruity....

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2005, 23:17
Grey market Haggis!! The criminal element in this country has no scruples! It is going to ruin the legitimate dealers in this country!

CP Goerz
25-Jan-2005, 23:33
With great regret I have had many an American 'Haggis' and this is one area in which the US is'nt any way #1. You have to go to the source to find the best stuff, namely a small butcher shop off the main street in Selkirk, though I must Say Colin Peat in Haddington has a very fine example. I usually eschew the canned haggis in favour of the fresh but smuggling in fresh haggis is a bit more risky of late. The last three I brought in froze and when I picked my suitcase up at the carousel there were three cannonball shaped frost patches on the outside. Sadly I have been FORCED into criminal behaviour!! ;-)

CP Goerz

Ralph Barker
25-Jan-2005, 23:48
Andy - you should try donning a white lab coat and a stethoscope, so you could try to carry your fresh haggis on board in an ice chest with those nifty bio-medical labels. ;-)

mark blackman
26-Jan-2005, 01:28
*Canned* haggis? It's supposed to be a sheep's stomach, not a metal tin!

Struan Gray
26-Jan-2005, 13:40
I once took a real Scottish Haggis with me on a trip to USA. No problems at all until I got home and the little beggar had to spend his obligatory six months in quaranteen. Despite getting him a place at one of the best boarding kennels he pined piteously, losing over a third of his show weight, and large clumps of his fur fell out. By the end the poor dear looked like that rat-thing Paris Hilton carries around in her handbag. Never again.

Paul Butzi
26-Jan-2005, 14:54
It's senseless to talk about American haggis. Why would anyone want such a thing?

If you're in Scotland, by all means, have haggis.

If you're in the US, have some scrapple. Don't know about scrapple? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple)

Seriously, the first time some told me what haggis was, my response was "Oh, you mean **scrapple**." I know it's not exactly the same, but the sentiment surely is.

Go with the local variety, is what I say. Alas, out here in the Specific Northwet, no one knows what the heck I'm talking about if I ask for scrapple. Or haggis, for that matter.

Jim Rice
26-Jan-2005, 17:54
Chittlins?

tribby
26-Jan-2005, 22:56
umm,

it's chitterlings.

fyi,

me

p.s. a lady friend purports to have tasted vegetarian haggis on this latest robbie day. err, no, i din't ask how. i felt like sleeping that night.

p.p.s. now to me, pickled okry is a damned fine thing. sickens most outside my locale, though.

CP Goerz
27-Jan-2005, 12:09
I looked at the scrapple recipe but I can't imagine how it could taste anything like a haggis though in its basic unset/unsliced state may look like haggis. I thought this part was kinda funny 'According to a survey released on 26 November 2003, one-third of US visitors to Scotland believed the haggis to be a real creature'.

I guess its the Scottish version of the Jackelope..but I've actually seen one of those and in my hunting days caught sight of a magnificent beast standing atop an ancient and massive boulder in the lower Sierra with the sun setting behind it, truly majestic. I believe that was the last day I went hunting.

cp goerz