PDA

View Full Version : Macophot Infrared Film IR820c in Pryo Developers

Andre Noble
24-Jan-2005, 15:15
Anyone tested/have ISO and/ or development times for Macophot IR820c in Pryo Developers such as Pyrocat HD and WD2D+?

Any subjective results in terms of quality of negs. etc?

Thanks.

PS I noticed B&H no longer sells this film - 'sup with that? Is Macophot still in business?

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2005, 16:06
Hi Andre,

Although I've not used that particular brand of film, I did notice that Maco Infrared 820C film is available, in various sized sheets, at JandC Photo (www.jandcphoto.com). My experiences with them show JandC to be helpful, reliable, and reasonably priced.

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2005, 16:12
Excuse my oversight Andre, it seems that JandC only has the Maco IR film in stock in 4X5 sheets.

Peter C. McDonough
24-Jan-2005, 19:23
I buy the film in 8x10 from Freestyle Photographic/
Peter

Andre Noble
24-Jan-2005, 19:38
Samy's has it too, as well as Freestyle both here in L.A. It's Worrisome that B&H dropped Macophot films.

BTW, it seems the rumour that Macophot Infrared Film IR820c 's ISO speed varieds from batch to batch is true. With an 092 B+W Deep red filter, my last roll was around ASA 1 or 2! It's like I need a new spot meter 'cause my Minolta Spot F only goes down to ASA 12.

PS: Is there any reason it can't be developed in Pyro developers for outstanding results?

Scott Whitford
24-Jan-2005, 19:53
Andre,

I develop my IR820C (4x5) in Pyrocat HD. I use a B+W 092 filter and expose at EI 3 in full sun. Yep, it's sloooooooow.

I develop the film using constant agitation in a Jobo CPP-2 at rotation speed "F" (the slowest setting). The Pyrocat is diluted at 1+1+100, and I develop for 7 minutes at 75 deg F.

Here's the sequence:

All solutions at 75 deg F.

2 minute presoak

7 minutes development in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at rotation speed "F"

plain water stop - 5 changes

4 minutes fix in 1+4 Hypam rapid fixer

30 minutes wash

a splash of photo-flo and hang to dry

This yields beautiful negs with brilliant yet not blown-out highlights, and as much shadow detail as you can reasonably expect from an IR film. You get full Wood effect with this method - clear blue skies are rendered black and green foliage glows like it's radioactive.

I've also tried exposing the film through a #25 red filter rated at EI25, but the IR effect is not nearly as strong as with the 092 filter.

Be VERY careful handling the film while wet because the emulsion is very soft and prone to damage.

If you're shooting roll film, I'd suggest the Konica 750IR. It's about 1 2/3 stops faster through the 092 filter, or you can still get great IR effects with the more common #25 red filter.

Scott

Andre Noble
24-Jan-2005, 20:12
Thanks Scott,

That's a lot of helpful technical info, perfect. Much appreciated. BTW, I just may try the Konica too, eventually.