PDA

View Full Version : How to warm Adox Variotone paper in DS14 ?

Eric Woodbury
23-May-2015, 14:23
I'm using Adox Variotone Warmtone VC FB paper and processing in DS-14 (Ryuji Suzuki), a low toxicity paper developer that I mix. Sometimes the results are warmer than others. I'm not looking to change paper or developer, and I don't want to tone, but I'd like the ability to warm my prints up a little bit more when they seem to fall short. Do any of you fine folks have similar experiences? Is it paper variation or is it the age of the developer (i.e. bromide) or what that is causing this. Can I make an addition to the DS14 to 'warm it up' a touch.

Thank you. EricW

Taija71A
23-May-2015, 15:40
Quick Answer:

Eric... Are you at all familiar with Ryuji Suzuki's DS-15?
('Warm Tone' slower working paper developer)

The nice thing about DS-15 (for your specific needs and situation)...
Is that it uses the 'exact' same Chemicals (as DS-14), but only in 'different' Ratios! :)

As a starting point... I would 'perhaps' suggest looking in this direction?

Best regards, -Tim.

Cor
2-Jun-2015, 05:23
Eric,

DS-14 is my standard for many years now, I haven't noticed a difference in warmth (with the same paper), only a loss of Dmax when the developer reaches exhaustion (and that takes a long time). I use a Nova, and top off with fresh DS-14 after a session: I used to make a special top off DS-14 without KBr, because KBr builds up in the developer and could change image tone. I do not notice that, and out of convenience I now only make eh standard solution.

Best,

Cor

IanG
2-Jun-2015, 06:41
You could add some Bromide,0.5g in a litre or working solution. It's important not to over-develop as that cools the final image, I only use Warmtone papers and manipulate the warmth through exposure & development. It can be better to use a developer more dilute rather than have too short a dev, time the results are the same.

I make up & use ID-78 which was Ilford's Warm-tone powder developer in the 50's & 60's, Ilford Warmtone developer is a liquid version of this with Potassium Carbonate & Hydroxide in stead of the Sodium Carbonate this (allows concentration).

Ian