PDA

View Full Version : Super Graphic Missing Linkage

HT Finley
19-May-2015, 16:07
Well, I just received the second Super Graphic I've tried buying today, and once again, it's missing the plunger, balls and spacers, just like the first one. What is it with these Graflexes and their missing focus linkage? It's worthless. The seller offered no returns. We'll see about that.

Teodor Oprean
19-May-2015, 22:34
Most people today who are interested in using a Super Graphic have in mind to use that camera on a tripod, not handheld. A Super Graphic without the rangefinder innards is a very lightweight technical camera.

Teodor Oprean
19-May-2015, 22:36
The camera is not worthless. If the rangefinder is the primary attraction for you, contact the seller before buying.

RichSBV
19-May-2015, 22:56
It's a big problem with people not respecting the Graflex cameras, and a shame...

You could repair it if you can't get a refund. You don't really need the spacers. Many have fixed these with only ball bearings as seen here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?117029-Replacing-balls-spacers-for-Crown-Graphic-%284x5%29

Getting the right sized balls and installing them is easy. The missing plunger is a whole different problem. I have no doubts one could be fabricated but it would be a bit of work. I would tackle such a job if I had to on one of my cameras but I'm crazy like that. Just really need a rod, smaller in diameter than the tube, with a flange on the inserted end. Then a cap to hold it into the tube. Then the flat piece that moves it with the bed rail stop. Brass and solder works wonders. And the whole thing is adjustable so nothing has to be perfect in measurements until the final adjustment.

Either way, good luck with it. I hope someone fixes it!

RichSBV
19-May-2015, 23:00
Most people today who are interested in using a Super Graphic have in mind to use that camera on a tripod, not handheld. A Super Graphic without the rangefinder innards is a very lightweight technical camera.

Most people??? The Super is a great hand-held 4x5 and that's the way I use mine the most. The cammed RF makes it easy as does the electric shutter release.

Steven Tribe
20-May-2015, 00:21
Go to graflex.org!

Old-N-Feeble
20-May-2015, 07:33
01. Contact the seller to tell him there may be an issue with the camera... so you're on record.

02. Make absolutely certain the camera really isn't as described... make sure you're technically correct.

NOTE: If it's determined that there is no problem then skip to step 10A and skip 10B.:)

03. Once it's determined there is definitely a problem then contact the seller again and send images as proof.

04. If the seller immediately makes good for the problem then the issue with him is over.

NOTE: If resolved to your satisfaction then skip to step 10A and skip 10B.:)

05. If the seller fails to make good for the problem then immediately file an "Item Not As Described" case with eBay with full description of the problem and photos.

WARNING: Make sure you file the case in LESS than 14 days from receipt of the camera no matter what.

06. Follow eBay's instructions and take recommended actions on the dates eBay allows you to.

07. Worst case scenario, seller is a bum and eBay forces return.

08. You're emailed a return shipping label at no cost to you and you return the camera.

09. Records show seller receives the camera back and you're given a full refund without losing a single penny.

10A. Have a beer and relax...

10B. ...while you look for a replacement camera.:)

Teodor Oprean
20-May-2015, 20:03
If you only care about doing 4x5 hand held, use a Crown Graphic, not a Super Graphic.

Teodor Oprean
20-May-2015, 20:15
Let me rephrase it since you are needlessly shocked by my original word choice:

Among those discerning connoisseurs who are interested in doing photography specifically with the Super Graphic, most of those people don't care about the rangefinder. What attracts them to the Super Graphic is the combination of these factors:
- extensive range of movements
- lightweight, rugged, durable, compact package
- reasonable price on the second hand market
- availability on the second hand market, especially in North America

For an owner who uses this model of camera only on a tripod as a technical camera and never handheld, the rangefinder is just dead weight. That's why increasingly more cameras appear on the second hand market with the rangefinder mechanism completely removed. This is equally true of Linhof Technika IV cameras. In fact, Linhof has responded to this change in preference by designing the Master Technika 2000 and 3000 models from the ground up without any rangefinder.

BrianShaw
21-May-2015, 06:29
Most people??? The Super is a great hand-held 4x5 and that's the way I use mine the most. The cammed RF makes it easy as does the electric shutter release.

I don't know how to measure "most people" but for my own 30 years of experience as a discerning connisewer with a SuperGraphic and Anniversary Graphic... I agree with Rich.

dsphotog
21-May-2015, 12:15
I've kept my cameras original, sadly the rangefinder is less valued to some, especially when the camera has been separated from it's compatible lens, the lens can be replaced, once the RF is ripped out it's tough to replace.

HT Finley
23-May-2015, 15:28
It's a dumb question I asked. Sorry about that. I've already restored the camera and it's fine. Thank you all.

Jim Andrada
24-May-2015, 20:18
Most certainly not a dumb question. While I use mine 95% on a tripod, I still have fun with it as a handheld. Load a Grafmatic and off I go - sometimes with flash! I absolutely love handing the camera to a waiter and asking him to take our picture.