PDA

View Full Version : The most expensive Linhof you can buy

toyotadesigner
18-May-2015, 13:42
It seems to be one of the oldest and most expensive Linhof cameras you can buy:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Linhof-Prazisions-Camera-1911-/301609515584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item463953fa40

I think it would be a wise decision to be accompanied by a Linhof expert to check the camera before writing a cheque. Usually these cameras would be auctioned by Westlicht and not by ebay.

Jac@stafford.net
18-May-2015, 13:55
I would think the seller would at least turn the shutter right-side up.

Teodor Oprean
18-May-2015, 19:41
That seller should be banned from ebay.

pierre506
18-May-2015, 19:57
Linhof factory should buy it back.

Taija71A
18-May-2015, 20:19
This Linhof Camera is 'Old News' and has been discussed previously...

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00axAJ?start=0
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Linhof-Prazisions-Camera-1911-/300799424043?clk_rvr_id=832870963472&rmvSB=true=item463953fa40

toyotadesigner
18-May-2015, 21:16
Geez, 3 years ago he offered it for 1/10 of the amount and didn't sell it. He must have smoked some very bad stuff during the last years.

Michael E
19-May-2015, 01:42
Is that thing still for sale? We have been laughing about it for years.

Daniel Stone
19-May-2015, 10:56
"But honey, I have it listed for sale! I'm sure we'll find a buyer soon!" ;)

DrTang
19-May-2015, 11:17
yeah right

I had a very old pre-Linhof camera..probably the model Linhof used to base theirs on

I think I got around 300 smackers for it..with a lens

that is a BIG no biggie

and who collects linhofs anyway?

jbenedict
19-May-2015, 20:17
Cool outfit. If I was a collector of Linhof, this would be a dandy outfit. It looks to have everything that you would want in a camera outfit of this type. One of the things that makes Leica fun to collect is that there are so many devices and doodads Leitz made to go along with their cameras that there is lots of stuff to be looking for. Same with Linhof. Lots of cool stuff made by Linhof. I have a 5x7 Linhof Standard (I think. I've seen pictures of a Linhof Standard and they look the same) and I can see how its design came from this camera.

The price is insane and I don't think I have to worry about somebody buying it before I get the money together. I hope that a registered agent of the German Government delivers it to my doorstep if I have to pay that sort of shipping fee. Either that or Mr. Bob Salomon Himself. No other Linhof Person would be worth that much. ;)

Jac@stafford.net
19-May-2015, 21:39
Cool outfit. If I was a collector of Linhof, this would be a dandy outfit. It looks to have everything that you would want in a camera outfit of this type. One of the things that makes Leica fun to collect is that there are so many devices and doodads Leitz made to go along with their cameras that there is lots of stuff to be looking for. Same with Linhof.

For Linhof collecting I cherish most their failed products. Rare! Their focal plane shutter and electronic rangefinder are gotta-haves. See, I like truly limited collections. Two failures in how long? :)

Later-be Leica collectors could go broke buying all their (not rebranded Panasonic) digital cameras, but that genre is more like Entomology, firmware bug collecting.

jbenedict
20-May-2015, 12:56
Some Leitz stuf can fall into what the stamp collectors call "black blot" territory.

To stamp collectors, when a country issues a stamp solely to gain foreign currency from collectors and not with the idea that the stamp was issued to actually send mail through a postal service, it gets the "Black Blot" from the American Philatelic Society. To stamp collectors, this kind of certifies that stamp as not a "real stamp".

Some of the Leica collector 'special editions' which are assumed to have been placed into a safe deposit box without even being taken out of the box and unwrapped seem to have been designed as a way for Leitz to make some money off collectors who have no intention of actually using the camera or even having it out in the open to look at it. To me, that's "Black Blot" territory.

Oren Grad
20-May-2015, 13:24
Some Leitz stuf can fall into what the stamp collectors call "black blot" territory.

To stamp collectors, when a country issues a stamp solely to gain foreign currency from collectors and not with the idea that the stamp was issued to actually send mail through a postal service, it gets the "Black Blot" from the American Philatelic Society. To stamp collectors, this kind of certifies that stamp as not a "real stamp".

Some of the Leica collector 'special editions' which are assumed to have been placed into a safe deposit box without even being taken out of the box and unwrapped seem to have been designed as a way for Leitz to make some money off collectors who have no intention of actually using the camera or even having it out in the open to look at it. To me, that's "Black Blot" territory.

Now that takes me back - way back. FWIW, the APS Black Blot program petered out a long time ago - more than 30 years ago now, I think. On the whole, philatelists didn't want some committee telling them what was and wasn't legitimate to collect.

Liquid Artist
20-May-2015, 16:09
For Linhof collecting I cherish most their failed products. Rare! Their focal plane shutter and electronic rangefinder are gotta-haves. See, I like truly limited collections. Two failures in how long? :)

My only Linhof falls into that category, their Standard Press camera. Made for the USA market at a time when Graflex had the market cornered.
It's the best $300.00 I've spent since breaking into LF.
The silly thing is it sure looks a lot like the camera for sale.

Jac@stafford.net
20-May-2015, 16:15
My only Linhof falls into that category, their Standard Press camera. Made for the USA market at a time when Graflex had the market cornered.

Were Linhofs of that era made in the USA?

Tin Can
20-May-2015, 16:24
Looks similiar to my Pre War 5X7. But mine has a DDS Spring Back.

I paid at least $5,000,000 and consider it a bargain.

Liquid Artist
20-May-2015, 16:25
Nope they just wanted a press camera for the US market.

jbenedict
21-May-2015, 09:54
Now that takes me back - way back. FWIW, the APS Black Blot program petered out a long time ago - more than 30 years ago now, I think. On the whole, philatelists didn't want some committee telling them what was and wasn't legitimate to collect.

I suppose I haven't even thought of the APS in 30 years. My father passed away 32 years ago and he was an avid stamp collector. He received one journal each month and that was the American Philatelist. Just thought it was an interesting concept. I was on a panel once that was evaluating a number of USPS stamp designs. There were a few people on the panel who didn't 'get it' and asked, "Why bother to spend all this money on all these designs. Put a flag and a value on it and call it good". They felt that way until they were informed of the amount of money the USPS made on collectable stamps which were never going to be used and they had to perform no services for. After that, it was "I don't get it but if we make money off it, why not?"

jbenedict
21-May-2015, 09:56
Looks similiar to my Pre War 5X7. But mine has a DDS Spring Back.
I put a 5x7 B&J spring back on mine and it works pretty good.