PDA

View Full Version : Focusing/composing and being farsighted

jonbrisbincreative
18-May-2015, 08:39
Now that I'm getting into using the Sinar F (with a roll film back currently, just because I'm moving up from MF) to learn how movements work and which knobs on the camera do what, I'm starting to notice that I have trouble composing and focusing on the GG because I'm farsighted. Even with my bifocals on (I'm only 42 for crying out loud! ;) I can't really get too close to the GG. This means I have to use the big and heavy dark cloth rather than the t-shirt since I need about that much space for my eyes to focus on the GG.

I have a loupe around here somewhere that seems to have scurried off into a corner. I'll definitely be picking one up if I can't find it. But I was wondering if there's anything to do about this other than suck it up that I'm getting older and admit my eyes are rebelling against me? I have the same problem with digital, of course, in that I have to hold the camera away from my face to see the screen. I can't use a neck strap for that reason (the neck strap holds the camera too close...I need it farther away than that).

Will a fresnel help me here?

BrianShaw
18-May-2015, 08:44
I can commiserate. The GG falls completely outside of either prescription of my bifocals.

I can't imagine how a Fresnel would help other than getting you a brighter, but still OOF, image on the GG. I manage to get by with a magnifier loupe and wearing my glasses on the top of my nose so I can look over them. But I think the real answer is to get a prescription for the distance between the eye and the GG (or LCD on your digital camera).

jonbrisbincreative
18-May-2015, 08:51
I can commiserate. The GG falls completely outside of either prescription of my bifocals.

I can't imagine how a Fresnel would help other than getting you a brighter, but still OOF, image on the GG. I manage to get by with a magnifier loupe and wearing my glasses on the top of my nose so I can look over them. But I think the real answer is to get a prescription for the distance between the eye and the GG (or LCD on your digital camera).

Are there over-the-counter solutions? Like magnifying reading glasses or something? I can't imagine buying a special pair of glasses just for this is cost-effective. Especially given the fact I already had to buy new computer glasses this year (ouch!).

Old-N-Feeble
18-May-2015, 08:55
I ordered a pair of inexpensive generic +6 reading glasses online. I don't think I'll ever need a loop with these glasses. I saw some +7 recently but I don't remember where. Reading glasses are available at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. for just few dollars in powers up to +4.

Jac@stafford.net
18-May-2015, 08:55
My vision cannot be corrected to 20/20 and I get along well enough. I found that my bifocals were not optimized for close work. Trifocals helped a lot to see the whole 8x10 ground glass. A 4X loupe for focusing and it's all good. (I do not know why, but a higher magnification loupe hurts more than it helps.)

Best of luck to you,

BrianShaw
18-May-2015, 10:33
Are there over-the-counter solutions? Like magnifying reading glasses or something? I can't imagine buying a special pair of glasses just for this is cost-effective. Especially given the fact I already had to buy new computer glasses this year (ouch!).

I'm about to buy a pair of glasses dedicated to computer reading. Same problem as with GG for me... and I make my living at a computer so not being able to see well is becoming an impediment. I'm thinking that the spectacles for computer (viewing distance - 24 inches) should be close enough for seeing LF GG. I might be wrong, however, since that is speculation. Ha ha... get it?

But now that I fiddle with my spectacles at the computer... the viewing distance seems to be about 24 inches but the reason I don't use them for either computer or GG is that I need to raise my nick to a very uncomfortable position. Maybe what I'm experiencing is an ergonomic maladjustment more than a vision correction issue.

jnantz
18-May-2015, 10:40
i use a monocular viewer purchased for a toyo view camera
( it kind of looks like that weird thing mark tucker used to make photographs with).
while my vision isn't perfect, it helps ...

Tracy Storer
18-May-2015, 10:42
I've been using +3 over the counter reading glasses for 8x10 for several years, but may want something a bit stronger for my 3x4 Graflex SLR........

Jac@stafford.net
18-May-2015, 10:46
the reason I don't use them for either computer or GG is that I need to raise my nick to a very uncomfortable position. Maybe what I'm experiencing is an ergonomic maladjustment more than a vision correction issue

Brian, when my eyes changed I had also just installed twin 30" monitors. It was necessary to modify the monitor stand down about 4" so I did not have to look up, tilt my neck so much. Perhaps that would help.

cowanw
18-May-2015, 10:51
You need cheap reading glasses. the power of which determines how far away your head will be from the GG. Try 3+ or 4+ to start.

Jac@stafford.net
18-May-2015, 11:01
You need cheap reading glasses. the power of which determines how far away your head will be from the GG. Try 3+ or 4+ to start.

If he is astigmatic then he would have to wear the reading glasses over his bifocals.

cowanw
18-May-2015, 11:46
If he is astigmatic then he would have to wear the reading glasses over his bifocals.

Or over his loupe.
In which case he will need prescription reading glasses. But he can try cheap ones to start.
The only issue with bifocals is the need to tilt the neck back which is difficult if the GG is below nose height and that Bifocals are not getting close enough.

jonbrisbincreative
18-May-2015, 12:05
Or over his loupe.
In which case he will need prescription reading glasses. But he can try cheap ones to start.
The only issue with bifocals is the need to tilt the neck back which is difficult if the GG is below nose height and that Bifocals are not getting close enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My closest distance I can get is around 12" (I measured with a ruler and moved closer until things started to go OOF).

My bifocals are not terribly strong. I really only need them for computer work (and sometimes reading or driving when I'm tired). I can get by fine without them out in the field and have been for years. I've just been moving the camera away from my face.

That's not as easy to do now and brings with it the problem that the farther away I move my head, the harder it is to focus details clearly. A loupe will help with fine details but won't really help me with composition. I sort of need a great big magnifier which is why I mentioned reading glasses specifically.

Sounds like I need to get some reading glasses with good magnification for when I'm focusing/composing. I can do without them any other time but I definitely need them for those operations.

Thanks for relating your experiences. It's sort of good to know I'm not the only one who is frustrated by this.

Solution: try as hard as you can to not get old! ;)

John Berry
19-May-2015, 00:27
It doesn't matter what the diopter rating is, they all are optimized to be used at about 14". My understanding.

Cor
19-May-2015, 01:22
Hi John,

Did you try focusing without your glasses? I have bi-focals too, pretty strong ones also (actually 2 of them, the general one is not sufficient for the computer, I have a special; one for that). Anyway, I focus and compose without my glasses. I hardly use a loupe any more (and if I do I have to put my glasses on again). Focus seems fine judging my prints.

good luck,

Cor

Regular Rod
19-May-2015, 06:13
Now that I'm getting into using the Sinar F (with a roll film back currently, just because I'm moving up from MF) to learn how movements work and which knobs on the camera do what, I'm starting to notice that I have trouble composing and focusing on the GG because I'm farsighted. Even with my bifocals on (I'm only 42 for crying out loud! ;) I can't really get too close to the GG. This means I have to use the big and heavy dark cloth rather than the t-shirt since I need about that much space for my eyes to focus on the GG.

I have a loupe around here somewhere that seems to have scurried off into a corner. I'll definitely be picking one up if I can't find it. But I was wondering if there's anything to do about this other than suck it up that I'm getting older and admit my eyes are rebelling against me? I have the same problem with digital, of course, in that I have to hold the camera away from my face to see the screen. I can't use a neck strap for that reason (the neck strap holds the camera too close...I need it farther away than that).

Will a fresnel help me here?

On eBay you can buy, from China, a pair of "reading" glasses rated +5.5 or +6.0 wear them instead of messing with the loupe and you can see all the frame and fine adjust the focus at the same time. It is far more convenient this way and another boon is that even when stopped right down you can still check the screen right into the corners. I don't take my loupe with me anymore since I bought some of these glasses...

RR

jonbrisbincreative
19-May-2015, 06:26
On eBay you can buy, from China, a pair of "reading" glasses rated +5.5 or +6.0 wear them instead of messing with the loupe and you can see all the frame and fine adjust the focus at the same time. It is far more convenient this way and another boon is that even when stopped right down you can still check the screen right into the corners. I don't take my loupe with me anymore since I bought some of these glasses...

RR

I'm going to try to find some strong reading glasses around locally. If I can't find anything, I'll order from China but it'll take a while to get them. I'd rather have them this week if I can.

Lots of mentions of loupes here: what I've been using instead (although it's much heavier than a loupe) is an old M42 mount 50/1.4 lens I had sitting around. It's a fine lens but has too much flare so I can't really use it reliably on my digital. All I do is open the aperture all the way and turn it around backwards, with the mount facing the GG. Put your eye up to the front of the lens and you get a gigantic and very magnified loupe view. It's probably a little too much magnification to be honest since I can see the GG. But it works great when I need that level of magnification.

I could buy a "proper" loupe but I already have this. It's just a little bigger and heavier than I would like. If I can make the reading glasses work, though, it sounds like I won't even need to use that.

jonbrisbincreative
19-May-2015, 06:29
Hi John,

Did you try focusing without your glasses? I have bi-focals too, pretty strong ones also (actually 2 of them, the general one is not sufficient for the computer, I have a special; one for that). Anyway, I focus and compose without my glasses. I hardly use a loupe any more (and if I do I have to put my glasses on again). Focus seems fine judging my prints.

good luck,

Cor

Without my glasses the closest I can get is about 14". With them on I can get a whopping 2" closer. :)

I used a t-shirt last night, shooting around the homestead and my kids said I was "soooo ghetto". ("A t-shirt?! Really?!") Other than being called ghetto for using it, I was at the end of the shirt, holding it to the top of my head because I couldn't be any closer.

Something's gotta give...

Doremus Scudder
19-May-2015, 07:56
I wear progressive glasses most of the time. For focusing, I use +4 diopter readers alone, or a nifty pair of clip on readers like these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carson-Clip-on-Magnifier/1167559.uts These allow astigmatism correction from my normal glasses.

If you're too far from the ground glass, you just need to find the right diopter to get you close enough for comfortable viewing - not rocket science.

Note: you will still need a good loupe (I use 8x or 10x) for fine focusing, which can be done with your readers on, or without.

Best,

Doremus