PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of chemicals

Bruce Pollock
23-Jan-2005, 21:00
One of my main complaints about the way Kodak packages its chemistry these days is that they have eliminated the smaller volumes. I can only get Dektol in a one gallon size and, since I don't do a lot of printing, I end up throwing out half the batch I mixed up.

I'm thinking about going back to mixing my own Dektol and D-76 from scratch in one litre sizes. I used to do this years ago and have scale, etc. I also have a supply of chemicals that are at least 25 years old, such as Hydroquinone, Elon etc.

Here's my question: Would anyone care to hazard a guess about the shelf life of these chemicals? They've been kept cool and dry but I'm wondering if and how age can affect them. Should I toss them and start fresh?

Jay DeFehr
23-Jan-2005, 22:37
Since paper developer is not critical, ie, all that you stand to lose is a few sheets of paper, I'd mix up some of those vintage chemicals and dip some paper into it. I'll bet that they're just fine, but I'm a gambler. Good luck.

Jay

paulr
23-Jan-2005, 22:55
In general, developing agents (hydroquinone, etc.) have shorter shelf lives than the other ingredients. I'd be more conservative with those. Glycin outlasts most agents in solution, but has a shorter self life when dry (which is strange). The alkalis (sodium carbonate, borax, etc.) last a long time, as does the sodium sulfite. I'm not sure about the restrainers/anti fog agents.

If anyone has more detailed information, I'm curious to hear it ... I'll be facing the same issue soon when I unpack some boxes of potions.

Neal Wydra
24-Jan-2005, 07:30
Dear Bruce,

I have mixed partial packages of Dektol in the past without problem. You may see some tonal differences on some fiber based papers. May I suggest Polymax (liquid, mix as you go) rather than dektol for your future purchases.

Neal Wydra

Bruce Barlow
25-Jan-2005, 09:11
I mix up a gallon of Dektol and subdivide it into 16 oz Coke bottles, which I fill completely, and get 7+ bottles. If you're really cheap, fill 8 almost all the way and evenly, and then top off the last ounce with water and get 8 usable servings. I have noticed no ill effect from the slight dilution. My Coke bottles are glass (and now old), but I have stored Ansco 130 in plastic Coke bottles for nearly a year, used some yesterday, and it's lovely. They've improved the plastic in Coke bottles - they used to let the developer oxidize, but I haven't seen evidence of that lately.

I have stored these "individual servings" for at least 6 months. Just pour one into the tray and dilute it with 2 bottles of water and voila! A quart and a half of working solution, which is perfect for my 8x10s.