PDA

View Full Version : 5x8 E&HT Anthony?

TPanico
15-May-2015, 16:27
I went to the Brimfield Flea Market today and found this. It's in great shape and I took a chance that it isn't a reproduction. The lady had it mounted on a wooden tripod that looked to new for the camera. She asked a $100 for the camera and tripod and said the tripod alone was worth $100. After some haggling, I walked away with just the camera for $45.

Can anyone tell me more about it? Google and EBay are not being very helpful. I measured the ground glass at 5x8.

I'd like to use it. I am thinking of paper negatives. Do they make film holders for this?

133903 133904

Thanks,

Todd

TPanico
15-May-2015, 16:28
Some closeups.

Peter Gomena
15-May-2015, 16:43
That looks like a museum piece. If the tripod matches, you should nab that, too.

Jim Jones
15-May-2015, 16:59
These are sometimes in great shape for their age. Budding photographers soon discovered the limitations of a lens little better than that in a box camera, and graduated to something more sophisticated. However, it's a better grade camera than my very basic E & H. T. Anthony kit from about the same era.

jcoldslabs
15-May-2015, 18:43
I've got an E. & H.T. Anthony 5"x8" contact printing frame. Now I know what camera it was paired with.

Jonathan

Wayne
15-May-2015, 20:17
I'd never heard of Anthony until last week when I snagged an 8x10 contact printing frame for 9 bucks at a thrift shop. I'd been checking thrift shops for printing frames for only about 7 years when I finally scored

N Dhananjay
15-May-2015, 22:42
5x8 is a lovely format. Chamonix makes 5x8 film holders. Cut 8x10 film in half - pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Have fun. Cheers, DJ

Steven Tribe
16-May-2015, 02:31
Go to piercevaubel.com and you will be able to identify the precise model under the links to the left!

Getting hold of the plate holders will cost much more than the camera!

People use this sort of camera everyday!

TPanico
16-May-2015, 04:49
I finally put the right search terms into Google. It's an E&H.T. Anthony Co. Victor model dry plate camera. It doesn't seem to be too rare. Many were made and meant as an 'enthusiast' camera.

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=anthonyvictor