PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger

mbuonocore
14-May-2015, 11:38
Hello,

I'm in the process of acquiring a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger. I went to see the enlarger yesterday and was astonished by its size. I've got a Durst 138s, and it looked like a toy in comparison.

Can anyone give me some insight into a good approach for dismantling and moving this enlarger? I'll have manpower and a truck.

Any practical ideas welcome!

Jac@stafford.net
14-May-2015, 12:05
Hello,

I'm in the process of acquiring a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger. I went to see the enlarger yesterday and was astonished by its size. I've got a Durst 138s, and it looked like a toy in comparison.

Can anyone give me some insight into a good approach for dismantling and moving this enlarger? I'll have manpower and a truck.

Any practical ideas welcome!

Welcome to the Saltzman enlarger club. :) I have the 30 WAB (8X10) model.

Disassemble it with confidence. All the fasteners are standard American size. The main column is very heavy. It is a three strong-man carry. Be sure the counter weights are in the column before assembling. Mine is about 14' tall on its factory base. (taller because I added locking wheels to the base) Assemble it on its back on the floor then use a winch (come-along) from the ceiling to raise it. Sounds simple, doesn't it? :)

Feel free to ask for help. I have some spare parts, including the very difficult to find condensers. (Huge - each about 14" in diameter)

This is a good site showing installation:
http://www.hkhinc.com/sffacility/saltzman/saltzman.htm

Best,
Jac

StoneNYC
14-May-2015, 12:29
As Jac mentioned, I have one also and have not raised it yet, I'm building the darkroom AROUND it.

As far as moving it, I used Dolly's and a trailer.

It took myself, of slightly more than average strength, a body builder who can deadlift over 400lbs, and a multi black belt friend to lift it, so 4 would be better than 3 if you don't have some strong men around.

Using straps to lift around your arms will help just make sure you can release them if necessary, don't want to lose your wrist!

Because I'm in the midst of building the darkroom walls the enlarger is kind of buried so mind the junk but one end is on a board that sits on a dolly...

The other is on a second dolly and board that supports the upper portion.

I suggest not trying to disassemble the shaft itself as I was told by the previous owner that the counter weights can be difficult to get back in and it's safer to just leave the shaft intact if you can.

If you have the condenser I would pack that up in its own protective box, and the head light housing and head with bellows itself can be separately stored, and then there's the base that also separates.

And the platform table top as well will come apart.

Try not to lose any screws!

There are rubber bumpers that are handy for not smashing your head on the metal arms of the bellows that it would be good to have.

Mine is 9ish feet tall before the head and probably another 2 feet with the head and condenser.

Jac knows more about the various model's than I do and will be a great resource for you. I am not sure which version I have, but I know it's kind of the "base model" 8x10 and they made one with a much longer base and table top for printing bigger prints.

Hope the info on just using the Dolly's etc was helpful.

I wouldn't try and disassemble the main shaft from the table part if you can help it.

pierre506
14-May-2015, 14:51
Bought a Saltzman 8x10 from New York to China four years ago. It wasn't disassembled. The enlarger was fastened in a large wooden box by steel cables. Transportation it from Shanghai customs was killing me.

mbuonocore
14-May-2015, 15:50
Thanks everyone for the great information. Jac, that website you linked to is wonderful. I really appreciate all the advice!

Tin Can
14-May-2015, 16:26
Bought a Saltzman 8x10 from New York to China four years ago. It wasn't disassembled. The enlarger was fastened in a large wooden box by steel cables. Transportation it from Shanghai customs was killing me.

I hope you took pics of that epic move. Sounds like Fitzcarraldo almost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzcarraldo

pierre506
15-May-2015, 02:56

It's still sitting there~

Fred L
15-May-2015, 04:24
bought a saltzman 8x10 from new york to china four years ago. It wasn't disassembled. The enlarger was fastened in a large wooden box by steel cables. Transportation it from shanghai customs was killing me.

omg !

StoneNYC
15-May-2015, 07:27

It's still sitting there~

Why go through the effort if you're going to keep it in a box?! :/

pierre506
15-May-2015, 07:59
Why go through the effort if you're going to keep it in a box?! :/
Dear Stone, 8x10 darkroom is a huge system.
Space demanding, time consumption, money exhausted...
I need a tutor near me.

StoneNYC
15-May-2015, 08:07
Dear Stone, 8x10 darkroom is a huge system.
Space demanding, time consumption, money exhausted...
I need a tutor near me.

Fair enough, I can relate for sure, but mostly it was winter and temperature that stopped me, now that it's warmer I'm on a roll, hopefully done at the end of the month :)

Hope you can get it together, and if not, bring it back to the U.S. So I can have two of them! :)

Jac@stafford.net
15-May-2015, 11:14
Now THIS (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/images/2007_0530_S3-02(rw).jpg) is a big Saltzman enlarger, a bi-post model. (Courtesy http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com)

pierre506
15-May-2015, 17:10
This one was almost not disassembled but without the table.

StoneNYC
15-May-2015, 18:07
Now THIS (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/images/2007_0530_S3-02(rw).jpg) is a big Saltzman enlarger, a bi-post model. (Courtesy http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com)

Wow! I don't remember seeing that one before, is it a later model? The head also comes out way further! Insane!

John Berry
19-May-2015, 01:15
When disassembling raise the carriage up high to get the counterweights in a low position. Then take a couple pairs of vice grips and clamp the chains up by the pulleys at the top. That will allow you to then remove the carriage assy, just the arms, (leave the part that goes around the tube), and chain sprocket from underneath. If you loose the sprocket without the vice grips you can continue after you get back from the emergency room. Use an engine hoist or something other that "we can do it by hand". Trust the word of someone who did do it the hard way. When the tube on it's side then you can take out the counterweights. If you don't want to take them out, YOU take the bottom with the extra 100lbs + extra weight. The wall of the tube is about 1/4 in thick and heavy enough without the extra weight. As a retired cat mechanic I can tell you snapon tools don't sell new backs. It isn't a difficult or complicated job, just big and bulky. I recommend leveling the table before installing the tube.

mbuonocore
21-May-2015, 11:59
That's really great advice, thank you John.

Luis-F-S
21-May-2015, 13:37
....you can continue after you get back from the emergency room. As a retired cat mechanic I can tell you snapon tools don't sell new backs. It isn't a difficult or complicated job, just big and bulky.

Kind of why I stuck with "baby" 8x10 enlargers like Durst & De Vere. Never felt I had the guts to handle a Saltzman! Pls post some photos!