PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid Wista DX Question

Eric_L
13-May-2015, 17:44
I just received this camera today and it looks to be in very good cosmetic condition. But when I change the back from landscape to portrait one corner or the back needs to be pushed in a little to fit flush with the camera body and to be able to be locked in. It fits perfectly in landscape. When I place the back on a flat surface there you can make it rock a little bit.

Is this a problem??

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

Doremus Scudder
14-May-2015, 01:14
Eric,

As long as the back seats flush and doesn't leak light, there should be no problem. There should be a ridge on the back that seats into a groove in the camera body. This likely doesn't line up exactly in portrait orientation and needs a little help nestling together (I don't have my Wista DX with me at the moment, so can't check, but IIRC, I have to press a bit on its back in one orientation to seat it properly too). Even if the back is slightly warped, as long as it seats light tight, you should be good to go. None of that should alter the ground glass to film plane orientation and affect focus.

I can imagine a scenario where a warped back results in the film plane being slightly (very, very slightly) off from parallel with the lens standard when the camera is in "zero" position. As long as you're checking focus well and aligning the back by sight for architectural shots, this shouldn't be a problem either.

Best,

Doremus

Eric_L
14-May-2015, 01:50
Thanks Doremus

This is my first non press type camera. I have only used a Crown and a Super Graphic before. This camera looks to good to drag around and treat like l did my old Super Graphic. But i bought it to use so off to get war wounds it goes. I found it at large reputable dealer with a 6 month warranty in ex+ condition for less than I could buy a used Chamonix or Shen Hao so went for the lower price.

Eric

prendt
14-May-2015, 03:23
I just received this camera today and it looks to be in very good cosmetic condition. But when I change the back from landscape to portrait one corner or the back needs to be pushed in a little to fit flush with the camera body and to be able to be locked in. It fits perfectly in landscape. When I place the back on a flat surface there you can make it rock a little bit.

Is this a problem??

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

It's wood, the material works according to the humidity and the temperature. With use it will settle down. My Wista DX also communicates with me about her feelings in different conditions - it's the beauty of working with a wooden camera. Enjoy your Wista.

Doremus Scudder
15-May-2015, 01:56
Thanks Doremus

This is my first non press type camera. I have only used a Crown and a Super Graphic before. This camera looks to good to drag around and treat like l did my old Super Graphic. But i bought it to use so off to get war wounds it goes. I found it at large reputable dealer with a 6 month warranty in ex+ condition for less than I could buy a used Chamonix or Shen Hao so went for the lower price.

Eric

Eric,

My Wistas are fairly battle-scarred and still going strong. Just a couple of caveats: the bellows on these cameras likes to kink when using short lenses and lots of rise. If you plan on using a 90mm lens or shorter, get recessed boards and pay attention to the bellows when using rise. I often rack out the bellows, add the rise, and then refocus back, making sure the bellows stack together as neatly as possible. Still, I've got kinks; they are mostly just ugly, but I've seen some Wista bellows so mistreated that they won't fold up properly any more. The brass lock nuts that keep the knobs on the front standard from spinning off are easy to lose. Keep track of them and/or give them a drop of removable loc-tite. The DX is wood, so it is a bit more fragile than a metal camera. Don't knock over your tripod or drop the back when changing orientations and you should be fine.

I've added a bubble level and stick-on scales to my DXs to facilitate setting up and focusing; easy to do if you want. If you plan on doing any architectural work, a gridded ground glass (or overlay) is indispensable. FWIW, I like the Wista DXs because they have shift and fold up with a smallish lens mounted. Makes for a very compact kit.

Best,

Doremus

Eric_L
15-May-2015, 02:57
Doremus,

Thanks again, I use my 90's a lot, I have an 6.8 Angulon, f8 Super Angulon, 150 and 210. The Super Angulon is my favorite. Probably 70% of time time i use that lens rise employed. I had a tripod mount on the top of the old super graphic to convert the rise to fall. The range finder was trashed before i got it. Off to buy a recessed board now.

prendt

Thanks I am looking forward to enjoying.

Eric