PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer No.3 Rectilinear

onnect17
12-May-2015, 14:05
While walking Brimfield today I got a close look in one Century 10 Studio camera with a wide angle lens. Does anybody knows of photographers using this type of wide angle lens for group portraits?

Steven Tribe
13-May-2015, 04:59
A no.3 Dallmeyer Rectilinear could be:

- the New Rectilinear Lanscape lens (patent). This is 13.5" efl and 2 inches lens diameter covering 8x10 plus OR
- WA Rectilinear (patent). the no. 3 covers 16x18". EFL is 13".

Dallmeyer's adverts only mention landscape use for both - but then they had lots of faster lenses available!

goamules
13-May-2015, 05:47
If it's the Wide Angle Rectilinear, I have a no. 3, which is a very interesting lens. I would buy it if you can.

onnect17
13-May-2015, 17:17
Thanks guys for the info. It called my attention enough to talk to the seller. He was interested in selling the whole set (camera with lens and stand) but driving a Yaris the stand is not an option. Besides, I do not have conditions nor space for the stand at home. The selling point was he mention some buyers were asking for the stand to put a TV on it. Very upsetting! You have to see the amount of NY women looking for tripod-lamps. Just painful!

Anyways, left the place with the camera and the lens.

The serial number is 47242. It's recorded in the Dallmeyer archives. (Very useful site. Kudos to the owner for sharing the info)

According to the seller, the photographer was located in central/west side of the state (MA).

I will post some pics later using the phone. I am writing using the Dell Venue and the camera sucks.

onnect17
13-May-2015, 18:56
I have to clean it.

Louis Pacilla
13-May-2015, 19:54
Don't clean the brass so much that it loses the patina. That's my suggestion.

Steven Tribe
14-May-2015, 00:28
Unless the stand is a very special one, there is no reason why it shouldn't fit in a Yaris!

I have moved both the Century/Kodak bipost stand and the Victorian furniture type along with Studio Cameras in a small FIAT Panda - the same car size. The Bipost can become quite thin on removal of a couple of sets of bolts.

I think it is the WA no. 3, but Garrett will confirm.

onnect17
14-May-2015, 03:15
Thanks Louis, I will read a little about cleaning before I touch the lens.

Thanks Steven, I think is a bipost. I will get back with some tools and hopefully was not sold.

Steven Tribe
14-May-2015, 07:36
I think both the Century and the Agfa/Ansco (not so many of these) biposts come apart with the bolts holding the base cast iron frame. The tilting mechanism has to released at one end to enable the table to be in the same plane as the upright posts. The spring system can remain as it is under transport (and perhaps storage).

Steven Tribe
14-May-2015, 07:49
As you probably found out, it IS the WA rectilinear. Made by Mitchell, Collins and Arthur Frampton and finished in December 1889. The first of a serial run of 11 identical lenses - probably a bulk order from the USA.

goamules
14-May-2015, 09:04
This is the lens I was hoping, it'a a Wide Angle rectilinear, a JH Dallmeyer unique design. A hidden feature of these is they make outstanding soft focus lenses if shot wide open. The No. 3 is very rare, you won't find them that large often. Does your have a wheel stop, or a slot? If a slot, you can quickly see how soft they look if not stopped. Here is a shot with mine on 8x10:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4062/4385625597_b0cdae193b_o.jpg

onnect17
14-May-2015, 18:50
Thanks again guys.

I went back and bought the stand. It's a Century Semi-Centennial No 1A in decent shape. All I need to do is to replace the fabric in the table. The disassembly was not an issue.

The lens has an aperture wheel (no waterstops).

goamules
15-May-2015, 08:00
Well they're still great wide angles, it will cover probably 20x24 stopped down. I have mine on my 16x20 camera now.