PDA

View Full Version : More Mann

William Whitaker
12-May-2015, 07:26
CBSNews.com had this piece this morning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/photographer-sally-mann-reflects-career-new-memoir-hold-still/

Charlie Rose is such an empathetic interviewer... The tag at the end says that the full interview can be seen on PBS. I've looked, but was unable to locate it, unfortunately.

Kerik Kouklis
12-May-2015, 09:40
Brilliant. I am in awe of her.

Tin Can
12-May-2015, 10:04
I just got my copy of 'Hold Still' delivered from Amazon. I only took a quick look, many pictures.

Printed in USA

Starts with a quote,

'The steady eyes of the crow and the camera's candid eye
See as honestly as they know how, but they lie.

---W. H. Auden'

I will start reading today.

Chuck Pere
12-May-2015, 10:50
Sally Mann was just on NPR's Fresh Air today. Should be available online tomorrow or so.

Jim Becia
12-May-2015, 10:53
CBSNews.com had this piece this morning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/photographer-sally-mann-reflects-career-new-memoir-hold-still/

Charlie Rose is such an empathetic interviewer... The tag at the end says that the full interview can be seen on PBS. I've looked, but was unable to locate it, unfortunately.

Will,

I watch this also. Charlie Rose is one of my favorite interviewers. And I searched also, to no avail, for the full interview.
While not totally familiar with her work, I do plan on reading her new book and learning more about her.

Tin Can
12-May-2015, 11:13
Mann reminds me of Patti Smith, anybody read, 'Just Kids'? It's a tearjerker.

Totally different, but similar emotion.

I like the last line in the CBS posting,

'"I work all the time. I never leave home. I mean, I just stay honed in on what's ahead," Mann said."

Which is exactly my philosophy and action now.

Bill_1856
12-May-2015, 12:25
Thanks.
I've now put it on order, along with the What Remains DVD.

Randy
12-May-2015, 17:30
There is a video on youtube - Charlie Rose interviewing her, but it looks to be from 2003.

richardman
27-May-2015, 23:43
I just went to Mrs. Sally Mann speaking in San Francisco. Very gracious and romantic.

During signing, I asked her if there is any truth that she started using a 8x10 because of lack of electricity etc. in the farm, and she said no, although it would make a good story :-)

Jac@stafford.net
28-May-2015, 08:06
During signing, I asked her if there is any truth that she started using a 8x10 because of lack of electricity etc. in the farm, and she said no, although it would make a good story :-)

Thanks for closing that question which I raised some time ago. "It would make a good story" is so Sally Mann.

William Whitaker
28-May-2015, 08:23
I just went to Mrs. Sally Mann speaking in San Francisco.

I envy that. Did you just happen upon that event or does she publish a calendar of her gigs anywhere?

richardman
28-May-2015, 17:12
I envy that. Did you just happen upon that event or does she publish a calendar of her gigs anywhere?

Mr. Whitaker, one of the blogs I read just happened to mention it. It was frigging cold up in the City :-) Well worth the trip though.

William Whitaker
28-May-2015, 17:43
It was frigging cold up in the City :-)

Must be summer.…