PDA

View Full Version : Advice / Help / WTB: 1A Semi-Centennial Stand PARTS

Jimmy Mathis
11-May-2015, 11:17
Hi everyone….

I have a huge fav/need, I hope my fellow analog photographers can help with…. ideas/advice or have these items for sale?

I have recently received a 1A Semi-Centennial Stand and need ideas to address these issues or to purchase these parts.

1. Hand Crank for the height adjustment, mine is missing. Hard to find a hand crank with a 1/2" bore.
2. The platform tilting adjustment threaded rod is badly worn to the point the platform is almost useless.

I can kinda live without the platform tilt function. I am afraid to mount my studio camera and brass lens on the platform for fear of the threaded adjustment slipping and camera/lens falling to the floor. The worn out section is right where the platform is level and the soundness of it is precarious.

Any help or advice or in locating these parts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many Thanks,
Jimmy

Jon Shiu
11-May-2015, 11:45
I don't have a solution for those issues, but I would recommend in general to fasten the camera to the platform with some type of screws or clamp so it can't move or fall.

Jon

Jac@stafford.net
11-May-2015, 12:09
1. Hand Crank for the height adjustment, mine is missing. Hard to find a hand crank with a 1/2" bore.
2. The platform tilting adjustment threaded rod is badly worn to the point the platform is almost useless.

Cranks (Hand Wheels) for 1/2" shafts are very common. Rather than me spoiling your browsing fun, just go to McMaster-Carr.

Oh, here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-wheels/=x4yizo Enjoy!
When specing for the 1/2" rod/axle part, click on your preferred style's code
in blue type, then on the blue 'product detail' link. You will find something like the following:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6024k113/=x4ymh5

That's my favorite - Cast iron, 9" with handle for 1/2" shaft.

The platform tilting screw is a super-common problem. Both of my platforms had hugely damaged threads. I could fashion a substitute cranking thing, but chose instead to put a telescoping tube with thumb-lock there. It would be a good project to make a functioning crank-and-screw. I'll think of it today.

Jon wrote: "I don't have a solution for those issues, but I would recommend in general to fasten the camera to the platform with some type of screws or clamp so it can't move or fall."

The standard platform has a raised ridge at the front. It would take quite a tilt to make the camera fall off. In fact, I don't think it is possible. But I did replace the wooden stop ridge with a slightly higher quarter-round piece. We must think alike. :)

(And funny how many pictures we see of the stands photographed with the camera on backwards!)

Jimmy Mathis
11-May-2015, 13:42
Jon,
Thank you so much your advice!!!

Jac,
Awesome for the input, I am looking at those links right now, I do like your favorite hand wheel as well. If I can’t locate a original style tilting screw soon, I too will fashion a substitute as you mentioned, for I am chomping at the bit to get set up and start doing some portrait work.

I got this stand with a 9A from a neighbor after looking far and wide ( funny how that seems to work that way) for free, not before I purchased a Agfa Ansco Studio No.5 for next to nothing from another neighbor. Both of their fathers were the town photographers in the day. Funny, you mentioned the camera on the stand backwards, when I went to pick it up it was backwards as well and covered in dust from sitting in his spare room for decades. Another predicament I have is which studio camera to keep, I don’t have enough room for both 'monsters'….. the 9A needs bellows and the Agfa is in perfect shape, like almost new looking. I guess not a bad problem to have.

Cheers

Jac@stafford.net
11-May-2015, 16:17
Another predicament I have is which studio camera to keep, I don’t have enough room for both 'monsters'….. the 9A needs bellows and the Agfa is in perfect shape, like almost new looking. I guess not a bad problem to have.

The stands break down to take up much less space. It is possible to bundle up the parts, tie them together with twine. I am broke for space since retiring to a tiny house, but I can still hang bundled up things from the rafters of the basement or garage.

Good luck to you!

Steven Tribe
12-May-2015, 06:59
There is a longish previous thread on the subject of replacing lost bipost tilting mechanism. The solution there was a standard acme thread rod with similar standard matching nuts (the cheapest method!) which were fixed in new cast aluminium fitments. I made one set of fitment castings and I have another set promised (three years ago!) to a member.

Jimmy Mathis
12-May-2015, 08:04
Steven,

Thank you, I found that thread with a 'acme thread rod' search, search results are a funny thing. I like the dogs nose, cute.

Out of curiosity: "I made one set of fitment castings and I have another set promised (three years ago!) to a member.", I would guess that member isn't buying the castings you made? If so, would you sell them to me? Is the casting you made for a 1/2" acme rod and matching nut or different size rod/nut?

Please let me know I am very interested and serious about purchasing your castings if avail.

Thanks again for the info!

Cheers

Steven Tribe
12-May-2015, 08:57
Can't remember the acme set dimensions - I was just the European provider of hobby castings (wax system with backyard furnace!). I just havn't had the time or inclination to repeat the exercise yet!

Peter De Smidt
12-May-2015, 09:08
Jimmy, if the screws that hold the fixtures to the bottom of the table aren't holding well, as was the case with my stand, I recommend using t-nuts from the top of the table, under the cloth of course, with machine screws coming up from the bottom.