PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Efke 50 at ASA 250. How to develop?

Andre Noble
10-May-2015, 15:18
Hi, out shooting some kodak tri x at a sa 250 in a roll film holder. I came across a beautiful young lady and in park and shot two sheets of her exceptI forgot to reset my meter to 50 and expose these two sheets at asa 250.

is system salvageable in the development process? If so how?

Bill_1856
10-May-2015, 15:29
Diafine might work nicely.

Vaughn
10-May-2015, 20:01
Could be fine -- a little underexposed perhaps. It will depend on how you metered, what the contrast range of the scene was, and how important the shadow detail is...and the printing process.

I'd give the first sheet perhaps 25% more development, check it out, and base the second sheet on the results of the first.

Corran
10-May-2015, 20:08
2 and a third stops? Ouch.

I've salvaged some T-Max 100 shot at 1600 by semi-stand developing it in Acufine.

Andre Noble
11-May-2015, 02:01
I metered using an incident dome Sunny day. One sheet she is in open shade just where shade started under a tree.

Other sheet she is in sunlight with sun above slightly behind to her back. In both cases i recall dome mostly illuminated by blue skylight.

no filter on lens. So I'm hoping that blue skylight is more energetic to film, hopefully reducing by a stop the amount of my underexposure.

whether or not based in reality, I don't know. But it makes me feel better.

Liquid Artist
11-May-2015, 04:50
Could be fine -- a little underexposed perhaps. It will depend on how you metered, what the contrast range of the scene was, and how important the shadow detail is...and the printing process.

I'd give the first sheet perhaps 25% more development, check it out, and base the second sheet on the results of the first.

I agree with Vaughn on the processing.
Although I've never shot Efke, I regularly shoot 2 shots under and push the processing. I've never lost a shot in the process. Having the second chance pretty much assures you'll get something.

jnantz
11-May-2015, 05:48
hi andre

if the exposures are something you can play with ( meaning they aren't a life/death situation, they aren't for a job,
you might be able to re-shoot them, you can process them for fun and not worry if they aren't "optimal" )
i would process them in 2 developers 1 after the other ...

mix a strong batch ( 1L ) of caffenol C. don't be shy about how much coffee you put in
add about 4-5oz of washing soda, and then add vit c ( 2-3 - 4 oz ) as it takes to make it foam ... and then a teeny bit more
( i dont' use exact measures, sorry )

what print developer do you use -- dektol? or ansco130?
i'd take some stock of your developer, and add " a splash" to your caffenol c .. if you need to measure the splash it is between 15-25cc of developr ...
that strange brew will be the first developer you use ..
the second one will be whatever it ws you added into the coffee, i have used dektol as well as ansco 130 and they both worked extremely well ...
dilute the print developer 1:6-7 or so ...

i tray process film ( tray, rotary, slosher tank whatever you use it will all work )
it goes in the print developer first ... if you diluted it 1:6 process your film 3.5 - 4 minutes ( half the dilution factor + 1 min ) ..
then take the film out, and stick it in the coffee and develop for the same amount of time in the coffee developer ... your film, any film, will come out better than you expected.

re-use the developer until you are done with your film. caffenol negatives might look thinish sometimes other times they look like they were processed in d76 ,

either way they print or scan like a dream ...

it helps if you don't have very high expectations

i say that half joking because i have been processing ALL my film this way ( split ) for between 2 and 3 years ( all formats, all ages, all types )
... i expect nothing to work, and it comes out great.i have also done it without the second bath for the better part of a decade ..

i haven't used efke in a long time but other eastern european films absolutely love coffee developers

good luck with your development !
john

ps. if you are slightly interested in using coffee for a developer feel free to look up the caffenol-cookbook in-there you will find a lot of stuff
me and other more sophisticated coffee users have put together and samples of images ... i've been using coffee for about 10 years - and thousands of rolls + sheets .. good luck !

Andre Noble
11-May-2015, 17:04
Thanks everyone for detailed responses. The Caffènol one is elaborate.the diafine seemed promising but it is 50 bucks and grainy?

. So I decided to take a chance with pro lab here in LA and just asked them to +1 develop.

Bill_1856
11-May-2015, 17:44
$50 for Diafine?!!!!!!!?????
What a ripoff. Last time I bought some (before going digital) it was $8.95.

Corran
11-May-2015, 18:08
1 Gallon, $50:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/16128-Acufine-Diafine-Powder-Film-Developer-1-Gallon

1 Quart, $34:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1065-REG/Acufine_DFD32_Diafine_Developer.html

And when was the last time you bought it?

I don't use Diafine - Acufine is a lot cheaper.

jnantz
12-May-2015, 07:39
Thanks everyone for detailed responses. The Caffènol one is elaborate.the diafine seemed promising but it is 50 bucks and grainy?

. So I decided to take a chance with pro lab here in LA and just asked them to +1 develop.

i just wanted to not be someone who said >> use caffenol<< and doesn't give any info
caffenol is one of those developers that can be made simple ( with teaspoons in your kitchen ) or
made complicated with scales and fancy names ...
i tend to make it simple ... ( and it can cost about 1¢ / development )

have fun ( and good luck ) !
john