PDA

View Full Version : How to remove lens in Graphex shutter from board?

Dean Taylor
10-May-2015, 15:15
hello

A beginner asks about removing the lens from the lens board...as you know, the back of the lens (inside camera, behind lens board) has two notches, which appear to require a tool of some type (a 'fork' arrangement)...

Does the lens simply unscrew from the Graphex #2 shutter, or, is there a 'latch' (lack of better term) to depress beforehand? Initial, tentative attempts to undo it found quite a bit of resistance...we balked at applying more force until we checked with pros...

thank you

Dean Taylor

Jon Shiu
10-May-2015, 16:20
Use an adjustable spanner to unscrew the lock ring on the rear of the lens board. Some people have improvised a spanner by pounding a couple nails through a piece of wood and then filing the tips and bending to fit the slots. I guess other things have been also tried like scissors and hammer and screwdriver or needlenose filed down, but spanners are fairly cheap on ebay.

An indexing pin may keep you from turning the shutter to unscrew it. The pin is not accessible when the shutter is mounted to the board.

Jon

tom thomas
17-May-2015, 06:25
133958Dean, I use a pair of machinists dividers that do not have the pencil attachment. You can find camera lens spanners on E-Bay but the wide selection I found there all come from China or Hong Kong. Reliable seller??? Here is a photo of a pair of dividers similiar to what I use. Both have very sharp points so some care is needed not to slip and gouge either the lens or the trim. The one pictured is on E-B** right now but in England. Check your local hardware store. Ace may have them.

AtlantaTerry
17-May-2015, 22:45
In July 2013, I bought an adjustable lens retainer ring tool from "HeavyStar", a very reliable eBay vendor in China. Mine is chromed steel, has angled tips and is very well made.

I paid US $20.45 including shipping.

Here is HeavyStar's current listing of lens wrenches:
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/m.html?_ssn=heavystar&_ipg=50&_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=lens+wrench&_sop=15

Tim Meisburger
18-May-2015, 01:10
Or you can use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer:roll eyes: Carefully!

Often if you hold the flange in one hand you can unscrew the lens, but that only works if there is no locator pin.