PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely smallest tripod of carry-on kit

mdarnton
10-May-2015, 08:54
I'm trying to put together a carry-on travel kit for a B&J wooden 5x7, and I'm curious what's the smallest tripod anyone here is daring to use for occasional use. I'm not looking for the "right" thing, or the best, I want the smallest tripod that will hold the weight without the top snapping off, and I'll take responsibility for making it not shake. It would mostly be used at around waist height for sitting portraits, probably with strobe, so it doesn't have to be tall or too stiff. If something like this would work, I'd be delighted: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-52-Inch-Carbon-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00DHPCSA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431272481&sr=1-1&keywords=light+tripod+for+travel
Specs say it's good to 8 pounds, and my camera/lens/holder is 9, but off-balance on the head, front-heavy. It might be worth a couple of ounces more to make a mounting plate so I could center the weight, though.

Anyone got any great ideas? Budget is an issue, too, so I won't be spending hundreds of bucks on some carbon wonder. I am expecting that the weakest point, the place to worry about snapping, is going to be the head/tripod joint or somewhere close to that.

Thanks..

RHITMrB
10-May-2015, 09:13
Folds down to 16", supports up to 26 pounds, costs $250: http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter.aspx

David A. Goldfarb
10-May-2015, 11:10
For travel, I like the Feisol CT-3441S--

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm

But you might want a larger head than the (optional) one that folds with the tripod. For larger cameras with that tripod, I use an Acratech Ballhead.

I'd also recommend the short column over the telescoping column, or you can do what I've done, which is to cut off the telescoping end of the column and epoxy the end cap in place at the open end (the column is still removable from the other end) to make a more solid, one-piece medium-length column.

When I'm traveling by air and not actively using the tripod and using a head that won't fold inside the tripod, I store it with the legs reversed and the head removed, but when I'm out shooting, I leave the head attached and don't reverse the legs. For smaller cameras on this tripod I use a Linhof Ballhead I.

Tin Can
10-May-2015, 11:48
I use an older model of this on a tabletop, car top, held against my chest.

It can hold a 4x5 Speed if tightened fully. Very sturdy. I paid way less years ago and it goes in any bag or back pocket.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=283757&gclid=COmB6rjqt8UCFXMA7AodHRIAXA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I can bring it to our next meeting.

A balance plate would be good and small.

Heespharm
10-May-2015, 14:38
Sirui... Folds down to 13 inches and can fit INSIDE my bag

JWebb
10-May-2015, 16:37
+1 on the mefoto globetrotter. I have the road trip that I use with my dslr with 300mm w/1.7tc and have not had a problem. Fits quite nicely in my suitcase at 15.4" including head. I would think that the Globetrotter at 16" and a capacity of 26lbs. would probably hold the 5x7.

Jeff Keller
10-May-2015, 18:15
The Amazon tripod looks like a "copy" of the Gitzo GK1580TQR5. I have the Gitzo GT1544 which has one fewer leg sections and is longer when folded. It is surprisingly sturdy considering how light and tiny it is. I haven't mounted a large format camera on it but I sure don't think it would break. It is rated at 17.6 lbs.. The Gitzo does have a different fitting from the Amazon tripod, for mounting the head.
jeff

mdarnton
10-May-2015, 19:15
Thanks. You folks pointed me towards a whole category of tripod I wasn't aware of. I picked one, and it's on its way. We will see if I chose poorly! :-)

Drew Wiley
11-May-2015, 13:27
I have the original Gitzo Reporter carbon fiber tripod - a bit different than the current models, and fits in a legal carry-on. Tough as nails. What you don't want is
to depend of a center column for necessary height. That just equates to wobble when it comes to anything large format. Weight ratings mean next to nothing
because they don't tell you how your gear will vibrate. That Amazon thing looks like a pathetic toy and probably wouldn't even be sturdy enough for a 35mm camera fitted with a long lens. I don't know what Feisol has in this exact niche. I have one of their bigger carbon fiber units which is excellent with my 8x10; but
it's a tad bulky for a carry-on.

David A. Goldfarb
12-May-2015, 01:42
Another nice compact tripod of beautiful design is the old Linhof Reporter that folds flat with three legs all in the same plane.

Drew Bedo
12-May-2015, 05:49
A ball-head screwed to a piece of plywood?

Drew Wiley
12-May-2015, 12:39
Way back prior to my reincarnation as my own pack mule, when I was into "ultralight" backpacking long before that term was even coined, I found a cute little
tripod head specifically made for attaching to an ice axe. Worked great on ice or snow...otherwise.... After awhile you learn that trying to cut every conceivable
corner is just a waste of time. Spend some money and do it right.

Tin Can
12-May-2015, 12:56
I have clamped a tripod head to motorcycle handlebars.

Stable, vibration free and I can sit and shoot, 4x5 is really max.

Jim Andrada
14-May-2015, 17:45
The "Mefoto" tripod is actually available from several companies - there's a Giotto's version that I've been using for a while - it holds my Technika just fine. And it fits inside my carry-on bag.

Alan Gales
16-May-2015, 21:57
If it was me I would buy a Ries J600. It will break down to 21" and weighs 8 lbs. With the leg locks you can skip a head if you want. Drew Wiley prefers using his Ries without a head. The big bonus of the Ries J600 is that it can be your only tripod.

To be honest, I would rather shoot medium format on an adequate tripod than shoot 5x7 on a weak tripod.

IanG
17-May-2015, 00:14
I've been using a Slik Sprint Pro II for a few years now, it's small folding to 47cmm/18.5" and weighs 940g. Most important it fits inside a small backpack, it's very similar to the Mefoto and Giotto tripod Jim Andrada mentions and comes with a ball head or a Tilt head, the Slik is re-branded and sold by Calumet.

Ian

mdarnton
17-May-2015, 06:24
I ended up with a MePhoto clone, and stepped down to 4x5, Crown Graphic, for this trip. The tripod might have been rated for the 5x7 weight, but it didn't inspire confidence, plus, when I started to pack: Grafmatics! In spite of its size, the tripod is remarkably damped--when I tap the camera it moves less and quiets down faster than my larger, better tripods. Reading all the one star reviews on Amazon, I was ready to get trash, but it turns out that as always seems to be the case, one star reviewers triumphed again in buying the wrong thing and then failing to understand how it works. Note to reviewers: yes, if you turn the collars 20 turns in the wrong direction, the legs will fall apart, and no, that's not a construction defect.

Drew Wiley
18-May-2015, 11:09
Shouldn't move and need to "quiet down" at all.

mdarnton
18-May-2015, 12:59
Say that louder because my Bogen 3057 head on a 3046 tripod can't hear you.

Drew Wiley
18-May-2015, 16:07
I've got one of those Bogen heads. They are solid; but not as solid as simply slapping the 8x10 right atop the Ries platform. However, it did come in handy for shooting long telephoto lenses with the P67, a combination more dicey than most view cameras applications. But don't think it would do well in a carry-on, cause the Bogen head seems to weigh more than the airplane itself.

John Layton
19-May-2015, 10:00
Feisol CF "Tall Traveller" w/Photo Clam head, plus my old 4x5 Gowland "Pocket View" plus 90/6.8, 135/5.6, 210/5.6 Rodenstocks, Pentax digi-spot, silk dark cloth, eight holders and a couple of filters...all under 15lbs (including backpack weight). Love the Feisol - and appreciate the extra extended length (I'm 6'1'') combined with inherent sturdiness and quick setup of its three (non rotating) leg section design. Not the most compact when folded, but perfect for when I need to travel light and just fits into my carry-on bag.

Gary Tarbert
27-May-2015, 00:45
Folds down to 16", supports up to 26 pounds, costs $250: http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter.aspx I have one of these i think ? not called the same but looks identical and folds to 16 inches called a promaster XC525 on this side of the world for some reason .