PDA

View Full Version : A little something for the Forum...

Mark Sawyer
9-May-2015, 11:44
I just noticed something I hadn't been aware of before at the bottom of the Large Format Info page:

The two following links are affiliate links. When you click on either of those two vendors links, you are taken to their site with an ID that identifies largeformatphotography.info as referring you. If you purchase something during that session on either site, we get a small commission at no cost to you, so if you plan to shop there, you might as well follow those links !

• B&H: the most complete stock of photographic gear, including hard-to-find professional/specialized items.
• Amazon.com: for everything else.

Are Amazon and B&H still offering this? If so, we should start making use of it to support the Forum's maintenance! The links are still active at the bottom of the page:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Peter De Smidt
9-May-2015, 12:50
I never noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out! I buy stuff from both vendors on a regular basis.

Richard Wasserman
9-May-2015, 13:18
I never noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out! I buy stuff from both vendors on a regular basis.

+1

Tin Can
9-May-2015, 14:10
Good point, I forgot about it.

I'm sure collectively we buy a lot from both.

I will try to direct link more often.

Mark Sawyer
9-May-2015, 14:57
Maybe one of the moderators could make a more obvious and convenient link somewhere appropriate?

Oren Grad
9-May-2015, 15:08
Everyone: thanks very much for wanting to help!

As the policy for a long time has been to avoid accepting funding for the Forum, please hold off on redirecting any purchases. We'll figure out what's going on (or not) with those very old affiliate links and get back to you with a clear statement about whether the funding policy is to be changed. Stay tuned...

ghostcount
13-May-2015, 07:17
Going to buy stuff on Amazon and BH.

Are the links valid?

Oren Grad
13-May-2015, 07:49
This is under active discussion by Tuan and the moderators, we should have a statement shortly.

Greg Miller
13-May-2015, 07:56
Everyone: thanks very much for wanting to help!

As the policy for a long time has been to avoid accepting funding for the Forum, please hold off on redirecting any purchases. We'll figure out what's going on (or not) with those very old affiliate links and get back to you with a clear statement about whether the funding policy is to be changed. Stay tuned...

I think it is well known that this site is provided at no cost by the extremely generous operators, who have historically discouraged donations.

I hope an exception is made in this case. If I am going to purchase something anyway from B&H, why not have this site benefit? It costs me nothing, and it would benefit a cause that I cherish. Placing the links in a more noticeable, but not overtly mercenary manner (so the operators can still feel good in their steadfast attempt to provide this site at no cost to its users), would be approrpriate.

Preston
13-May-2015, 10:42
I hope an exception is made in this case. If I am going to purchase something anyway from B&H, why not have this site benefit? It costs me nothing, and it would benefit a cause that I cherish. Placing the links in a more noticeable, but not overtly mercenary manner (so the operators can still feel good in their steadfast attempt to provide this site at no cost to its users), would be appropriate.

Greg, this is nicely stated, and I agree 100%.

--P

Kirk Gittings
13-May-2015, 10:51
Wow I wonder how long that has been in effect. This is the first I've ever heard of it.

Tin Can
13-May-2015, 10:53
Perhaps an income stream is not needed or desired as it may complicate taxes, insurance, even liability. Lawyers get involved in almost everything.

All those reasons are mine for staying firmly a hobbiest.

I would change my mind if anything I did was 'World Class' and paid enough to move to Fiji. :)

John Kasaian
25-May-2015, 20:42
Greg, this is nicely stated, and I agree 100%.

--P Me too.

Ralph Barker
8-Jul-2015, 06:02
Update: The Affiliate Links, shown below, for B&H and Amazon are still valid. Accessing those sites with these links produce a small commission to the forum, at no additional expense to you, should you purchase something during the session. Those commissions will be used to offset out-of-pocket forum and server expenses, and as a reserve fund for forum operations. For your convenience, we will be making them more accessible from the main forum, or you may choose to bookmark them as your main link to those sites within your browser, if you'd like to do so.

B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=1620&KBID=2184)

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/alargeformatphot)

Peter De Smidt
8-Jul-2015, 08:34
That's great, Ralph!

Taija71A
8-Jul-2015, 09:02
Perfect!
Thank-you to Tuan and all of the Moderators... For this Update.

StoneNYC
8-Jul-2015, 10:10
Ralph, as a student, I'm part of the student program, and registered, does me using the links while already signed in still produce a commission on those who are already members of B&H? Or is this only for those not already members of B&H? Thanks this is good news.

Mark Sawyer
8-Jul-2015, 11:40
Thank you muchly! :)

Ralph Barker
9-Jul-2015, 07:29
Ralph, as a student, I'm part of the student program, and registered, does me using the links while already signed in still produce a commission on those who are already members of B&H? Or is this only for those not already members of B&H? Thanks this is good news.

I don't know, but my guess is that the programs are mutually exclusive. The affiliate link tags a session that does not require a login, so I doubt that it would work once you are logged in with your student ID.

tgtaylor
9-Jul-2015, 12:04
I just made 2 purchases from Amazon last week and from B&H about a month back. I'll come in through the link on future purchases from these vendors.

Thomas

axs810
10-Jul-2015, 04:53
If I want to make the affiliate links what I go to when I click on my internet bookmark how would I do that so it's for sure the affiliate link?

edit/ the BHPhoto affiliate link doesn't show anything after bhphotovideo.com

Greg Miller
10-Jul-2015, 05:54
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=1620&KBID=2184

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/alargeformatpho (if you want to copy and paste , right click on the hyperlink and select "copy link location")

axs810
10-Jul-2015, 12:20
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=1620&KBID=2184

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/alargeformatpho (if you want to copy and paste , right click on the hyperlink and select "copy link location")

Cool thanks!

Mark Sawyer
10-Jul-2015, 12:32
Given the number of people here who order from them, perhaps we should contact Freestyle about such an arrangement too...

Ralph Barker
10-Jul-2015, 19:59
Given the number of people here who order from them, perhaps we should contact Freestyle about such an arrangement too...

Excellent suggestion. Thanks. We'll look into that.

axs810
1-Aug-2015, 08:37
Excellent suggestion. Thanks. We'll look into that.

Any update with this? :)

Ralph Barker
1-Aug-2015, 14:58
Any update with this? :)

It's at the right of the blue navigation bar.

axs810
1-Aug-2015, 15:03
I was asking if you made an arrangement with Freestyle like you did BHPhoto and Amazon

Ralph Barker
2-Aug-2015, 05:58
I was asking if you made an arrangement with Freestyle like you did BHPhoto and Amazon

Not yet.

AtlantaTerry
2-Aug-2015, 08:18
I'm wondering if Freestyle has the deep pockets of Amazon or B&H. They may not be able to afford the cost.

Ralph Barker
2-Aug-2015, 16:05
I'm wondering if Freestyle has the deep pockets of Amazon or B&H. They may not be able to afford the cost.

We'll see.

Ralph Barker
11-Aug-2015, 15:46
Update: With some help from Kirk, I had a nice discussion with the folks at Freestyle. Unfortunately, they do not have a similar affiliate program, and are not in a position to establish one at the present time. They will soon be selling a number of LF products through Amazon, including Foma products. So, if the Freestyle product you are looking for is included in what they are selling through Amazon, you can use our Amazon affiliate link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/alargeformatphot). Expect to see things showing up there in 30-45 days.

Mark Sawyer
29-Apr-2016, 12:29
Just a bump to remind people, when ordering stuff online, follow that "Affiliate Links" button at the top of each page to support the forum! Good for things ordered from B&H and Amazon! :)

(I just replaced my old direct links with the "Affiliates Links" to remind me next time I order something!)

Ralph Barker
30-Apr-2016, 06:18
Just a bump to remind people, when ordering stuff online, follow that "Affiliate Links" button at the top of each page to support the forum! Good for things ordered from B&H and Amazon! :)

(I just replaced my old direct links with the "Affiliates Links" to remind me next time I order something!)

Thanks, Mark.

I also suggested using the affiliate link (changing their Amazon bookmark) to friends who shop frequently at Amazon. They were more than happy to make the change, since it doesn't cost them anything to do so.

scheinfluger_77
30-Apr-2016, 07:36
Thank you. I think I was unaware of the nature of the affiliate links, too much tunnel vision I guess.