PDA

View Full Version : Any way to embed data with images so Google can NOT strip it?

Willie
8-May-2015, 14:23
Any images posted online end up being displayed by Google and other search engines. Court decisons say they can do this. Trouble is, Google strips all the metadata and ID information so no one knows who owns most of the images.

Any way to get it so it won't be removed?

Jmarmck
8-May-2015, 14:29
Watermark

Tin Can
8-May-2015, 14:33
I put my email right on the image lower right, I doubt they bother to remove it. Bots don't care. :(

invisibleflash
8-May-2015, 14:35
Any images posted online end up being displayed by Google and other search engines. Court decisons say they can do this. Trouble is, Google strips all the metadata and ID information so no one knows who owns most of the images.

That is right. It is fair use and I applaud the court decisions.

The next thing is that photos nowadays are near worthless. Sure they have the half million $ tricycle and the 6 million dollar sunset. But for the rest of us, photos are near worthless. As one curator told me, the world is polluted with photos.

In any case, no mater how you imbed, the computer nerds will find away around anything. Tumblr does the same stripping. I don't think WordPress does it.

But, no worries. If you shoot iconic images a simple net search will show the rightful owner. There is never a confusion with my images with anyone else's.

Also naming photos helps. Sometimes it remains with the image, other times it is stripped. Point is, if the photos has been around the web for a while there is a copy or a dozen copies that retains the file name and information.

Google Hakenkreuz in a Dress My photo pops up first thing.

If you search for the complete title

Hakenkreuz in a Dress copyright 1973 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

You get tons of my pix that pop up as well. Same thing if you did a reverse image search on Google.

Google your name. Do you get hundreds of photos connected with your name? If not, better get to work if you ever want to get ahead.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/if-youre-serious-about-getting-your-work-in-museums-and-public-collections-only-have-your-best-work-connected-with-your-name/

Now, in most of your LF cases with your boring trees, smoky water and rocks, then one image will be confused with the next and the next and the next hundred thousand boring, generic images.

My advice...start shooting iconic images with your LF gear. Be above the crowd or continue to get drowned in the photo cesspool.

Tin Can
8-May-2015, 14:42
The computer nerds will find away around anything. Tumblr does the same. I don't think WordPress does it.

But, no worries. If you shoot iconic images a simple net search will show the owner.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/if-youre-serious-about-getting-your-work-in-museums-and-public-collections-only-have-your-best-work-connected-with-your-name/

There is never a confusion with my images with anyone else's.

Now, in most of your LF cases with your boring trees, smoky water and rocks, then one image will be confused with the next and the next and the next hundred thousand boring, generic images.

My advice...start shooting iconic images with your LF gear. Be above the crowd or get drowned in the cesspool.

That link should be a sticky.

Too late for all of us here...

Unless the plan is different.

bdkphoto
8-May-2015, 16:31

Google does not strip metadata. A quick google search of my images show every single one had the metadata intact - contact and copyright info was all there. You can also just search for your own images by uploading the image in google image search and you will see where it is on the web, no metadata needed or watermark required. Theres also tineye and other image search engines to track your work.

Jim Noel
8-May-2015, 16:41
Simple solution - stop putting images on the web, not even in e-mails. I havenever felt a need to do so.If people want to buy my images, they find a way to contact me.

Jac@stafford.net
9-May-2015, 14:09
Google does not strip metadata. A quick google search of my images show every single one had the metadata intact - contact and copyright info was all there. You can also just search for your own images by uploading the image in google image search and you will see where it is on the web, no metadata needed or watermark required. Theres also tineye and other image search engines to track your work.

Not all your images have copyright or contact info in the metadata. It is not just Google, but some web publishers zap the data. Google Image Search is getting pretty good, but not great. Tineye has a long way to go.

Some time ago I used a form of Steganography to hide messages in text. Too laborious.

ic-racer
9-May-2015, 17:04

How can they get into your website and do that?

Darko Pozar
9-May-2015, 17:46
The next thing is that photos nowadays are near worthless. Sure they have the half million $ tricycle and the 6 million dollar sunset. But for the rest of us, photos are near worthless. As one curator told me, the world is polluted with photos.

My advice...start shooting iconic images with your LF gear. Be above the crowd or continue to get drowned in the photo cesspool.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your inspirational advice.

Greg Miller
9-May-2015, 18:53
Things are getting confused in this thread. Google strips meta data when they put images on their image search site (http://images.google.com). They do not have the ability to strip it from other web sites. SO if you put images on your web site with metadata, that metadata will remain in place. When Google spiders you web site and finds images, they take copies, strip the metadata, then post those files on their image search site (http://images.google.com). So if someone finds your mages on Google's site, and uses that copy for other purposes, they are using a copy with no metadata.

Tin Can
9-May-2015, 20:18
Jim Noel, wrote of not even emailing images. I agree. I do copy work for a Pencil & Paper artist and I make really tiny files for him to show off, as he still doesn't understand his art is so digital looking it is way easy to steal.

He sells only originals but all these 'competitions' want files. One day he will regret his ego.

However, he makes more than most with his original images, which are drawings. Totally handmade, but look computer generated. Weird, it's how he relaxes from his high pressure job. He could quit work...