PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD source?

RodinalDuchamp
8-May-2015, 09:15
Where do you guys get your pyrocat HD. I see photographers formulary has a powder kit but it doesn't specify if it is part A and B or if its both together.

Are there any sources for pyrocat HD in premixed liquid form?

domaz
8-May-2015, 09:50
The only source I know of for premixed liquid form is the Formulary which has both powder and liquid kits. I'm sure the powder kits don't mix A and B or the mixed developer wouldn't last longer than a couple minutes. Mixing it yourself is really the best option IMO.

RodinalDuchamp
8-May-2015, 09:52
I prefer the convenience of a commercially premixed product since their quality and consistency is higher than what in could currently achieve. I called freestyle and they only carry pyrogallol in liquid

Peter Lewin
8-May-2015, 10:30
I think the easiest solution is to buy the Pyrocat-HD in glycol pre-mixed from Photographers Formulary. It comes in two plastic bottles, parts A and B. You mix tiny amounts to make the working solution. There was a long thread on shelf life, the recommendation was to transfer the solutions from the plastic bottles to brown glass bottles for storage. (Which is exactly what I've done.)

Roger Thoms
8-May-2015, 10:55
http://stores.photoformulary.com/pyrocat-hd-in-glycol/

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
8-May-2015, 10:56
I buy my raw chemicals from Artcraft and mix my own. I've been using the HD version and I've had the 1 liter solutions that I've mixed last well over a year. Lately I go through each liter bottle much faster due to the ULF negatives I develop. I've never wanted to buy water.

Michael R
8-May-2015, 12:07
I prefer the convenience of a commercially premixed product since their quality and consistency is higher than what in could currently achieve. I called freestyle and they only carry pyrogallol in liquid

Probably a good idea to buy it pre-mixed from Formulary, at least to start. Catechol (Pyrocat does not contain pyrogallol by the way) is a relatively nasty compound.

Greg Y
8-May-2015, 12:26
RD, The Formulary sells the liquid kits...as suggested...get the in glycol version. The dry kits are just that...all the stuff to make both A & B...prepackaged in individually sealed packets.

Jim Noel
8-May-2015, 12:29
I buy my raw chemicals from Bostick& Sullivan, and my propylene glycol from RV supply store where it is sold as antifreeze for drinking water systems.

RodinalDuchamp
8-May-2015, 17:04
OK I spoke to PF directly and they in fact do sell it in liquid form. Thanks.

Andrew O'Neill
8-May-2015, 17:35
I mix it from scratch.

Roger Thoms
8-May-2015, 17:51
OK I spoke to PF directly and they in fact do sell it in liquid form. Thanks.

Sorry about that, guess I should have pointed out the the link I posted was to the liquid. Sometimes I don't elaborate enough.

Roger

Willie
8-May-2015, 18:40
Learned to mix my own and it is easy if you follow simple directions. A good scale that is accurate to 100ths of a gram is great. Electronic scales of good accuracy are available for well under $100 these days. Artcraft Chemicals supply all you need for mixing. A basic water distiller for home use works well and assures water quality without trips to the store.

As Jim said, it is not difficult.

RodinalDuchamp
9-May-2015, 17:05
It may not be difficult but in the spirit of eliminating any variables a premixed concentrate is great, I am just starting out with this developer and want to maintain consistency. I am sure anyone could fine tune their own special sauce but I'm just glad I found it.

Willie
10-May-2015, 09:21
It may not be difficult but in the spirit of eliminating any variables a premixed concentrate is great, I am just starting out with this developer and want to maintain consistency. I am sure anyone could fine tune their own special sauce but I'm just glad I found it.

Your trust in small companies to be precise is interesting. Some of them measure by hand just like we do in our own darkrooms.

RodinalDuchamp
10-May-2015, 09:29
My experience with PF products has been positive I have no reason not to believe their pyro formulas would be any different, considering I've already experienced good consistent results with their product.

I'd rather be out shooting, processing, and printing much more so than mixing yet another chemistry.