PDA

View Full Version : Velbon Ball Head bolt Broken. Any suggestions?

Drew Bedo
6-May-2015, 14:23
Hello all,

I have a Velbon PH 263 magnesium alloy ball head. The single bolt controlling the ball and pan functions has broken. A 1/4 x 20 thumb screw is currently a make-do fix. It sorta works, but the flat thumb/finger grip space is too small to get enough leverage for quick and secure controle. . . .and it looks bush-legue.

The Velbon distributor, OSM ( sales@ osmusa.com ) were very nice and as helpful as possible with another question about a Velbon tripod, sending exploded drawings and parts lists etc. However they couldn't help out with a new OEM bolt and handle for the ball head.

Any suggestions for sources of better looking and more effective substitutes?

BarryS
6-May-2015, 14:35
I've replaced similar parts with thumb screws with large heads from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screws/=x2fsfo

adelorenzo
6-May-2015, 15:54
My local hardware store has various knobs with 1/4 20 bolts on the end, similar stuff to what BarryS posted. Worth checking out, that's what I've done for replacements.

Drew Bedo
7-May-2015, 05:12
Thanks for the suggestions. First a trip to ACE and next some on-line exploration.

I am trying for an effective solution that doesn't look like it was rigged up by "Snuffy Smith" or "Lil Abner".