PDA

View Full Version : New Moderator

Ralph Barker
2-May-2015, 07:59
We are pleased to announce that long-time member and forum contributor Oren Grad has joined the moderator team.

bob carnie
2-May-2015, 08:03
I pity the fool

StoneNYC
2-May-2015, 08:13
I pity the fool

+1

Sal Santamaura
2-May-2015, 08:15
Oren,

Thanks, good luck and condolences. :D

Sal

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2015, 08:40
I'll bet within a week Oren asks himself, "OMG, what have I done?!"

Oh... and congrats!! :)

Oren Grad
2-May-2015, 08:56
Originally Posted by bob carnie
I pity the fool
+1

+2

:)

David Karp
2-May-2015, 09:16
Thank you Oren.

Tin Can
2-May-2015, 09:25
Yes!

Thank you Oren Grad!

Jmarmck
2-May-2015, 09:56
Thank you Oren, and remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

jbenedict
2-May-2015, 10:08
Good moderation is what makes this a useful board. The mods here let most discussions go on until a logical place to cut them off or they die out on their own. Even the ones that are a little off topic.

I'm in another group on motorcycles which is just chock full of information but the members are crotchety and fight all the time. Last week, a guy asked the question, "What's the best way to dial in the carburetors on these bikes?" In the tech info section of the board, there are about 20 different entries covering adjusting the carburetors of these motorcycles. If you can't get your carburetors adjusted after reading all that stuff, you would be better off paying someone to do it for you. One codger got on and barked at the guy to look in the tech section. The questioner barked back and the fight was on. The "accepted method" which is frequently used here, should be to read what is already listed and, if you still need help, ask a focused question that shows you have made an effort to figure it out on your own. If a reader can't figure it out after trying and trying on his own, there are guys in the group who educate him and do it in a respectful way that doesn't make the questioner feel any worse. The upshot is that one of the most renowned tuners of these motorcycles in the country decided to drop out of the group. He had been reading most everything every couple of days and contributed a post about once a month if he saw that the discussion was really going in the wrong direction. (And I bet he got a lot of business for his services because of his participation.) A real loss to the group and entirely because of poor or no moderation.

So, I'm glad the moderation here has been done well and wish Oren the best as we go on...

Heroique
2-May-2015, 10:21
Good luck, Oren.

Hope it will be the old Oren in the new wolf's clothing!

Vaughn
2-May-2015, 11:31
Sounds great to me! Thanks, Oren!

BrianShaw
2-May-2015, 11:54
Wow, good for us. Enjoy the experience Oren!

Oren Grad
2-May-2015, 12:09
Thanks, all!

Still fumbling with my new utility belt, trying to figure out which is the button that zaps the bad guys while leaving the planet intact for the rest of us...

Pete Watkins
2-May-2015, 12:12
Good luck Oren. Don't stand for any crap.
Pete.

rdenney
2-May-2015, 12:47
You guys are extremely happy that Oren has agreed to join us on the moderating team--he has been a model forum participant and good things happen wherever he goes. But as happy as you are, you couldn't possibly be as happy as the current moderators. We very much appreciate Oren's willingness to serve in this role.

Now, let's see if we can avoid making him regret his decision, at least until next week.

Rick "thanks, Oren" Denney

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2015, 13:10
If you need practice banning someone just ban me. I could use a break from this site :).

Oren Grad
2-May-2015, 13:44
If you need practice banning someone just ban me. I could use a break from this site :).

We're working on a new function called "no escape". :)

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2015, 13:48
"you can check in but you can never leave"

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2015, 14:07
We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

prendt
2-May-2015, 14:25
Good moderation is what makes this a useful board.

+1. The more moderators the forum has, the better it is.

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2015, 14:33

:)

prendt
2-May-2015, 14:39

:):)

prendt
2-May-2015, 14:47

:):)

Jody_S
2-May-2015, 14:53
It's a thankless job that is never appreciated when done well, but results in endless complaints when it isn't. And sometimes even when it is.

Thanks, and good luck!

sanking
2-May-2015, 14:59
Very happy with the choice of new moderator. I have read many previous messages by Oren and know him to be someone who understands and is fully committed to the concept of diffraction as an optical phenomenon, not an aberrant philosophy.

Sandy

Louis Pacilla
2-May-2015, 15:55
Oren your a great choice to serve as a moderator & I want to thank you for taking on the job.:)

Congratulations!

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2015, 16:01
Meh... it's all hugs and kisses when it first starts. Then comes the nagging, bitching and slaps to the face. We forum members are a rotten fickle whiney abusive lot. Oh yeah, we all love you now but just wait until the spankin' starts... and the jealousy and the accusations. Why do you like that person better than me and you always take their side... blah blah blah.:rolleyes: Indeed, you're in for a real fun treat, Oren.;)

I hope this encourages you to have fun and relax during your tenure as a mod. :D :p

StoneNYC
2-May-2015, 17:10
Thanks, all!

Still fumbling with my new utility belt, trying to figure out which is the button that zaps the bad guys while leaving the planet intact for the rest of us...

*ducks*

One of the best songs of all time!

jnantz
2-May-2015, 17:58
great choice !

thank you, and best of luck oren !

John Kasaian
2-May-2015, 19:08
great choice !

thank you, and best of luck oren !

Same here!

Tim Meisburger
2-May-2015, 20:41
Thank you Oren. Much appreciated. (I also appreciate the hard work of all the other moderators).

Oren Grad
2-May-2015, 21:50
Thanks again to all!

I managed to zap Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao (thanks to all who flagged that!) without causing the forum to come crashing down, so I think I'm getting the hang of it.

(StoneNYC, it's probably safe to come out now.)

StoneNYC
2-May-2015, 21:53
Thanks again to all!

I managed to zap Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao (thanks to all who flagged that!) without causing the forum to come crashing down, so I think I'm getting the hang of it.

(StoneNYC, it's probably safe to come out now.)

You'll have to zap a few others before it's safe for me here ;)

Best of luck!

William Whitaker
3-May-2015, 07:17
Godspeed and fair winds, intrepid soul!

Old_Dick
3-May-2015, 08:17
Diffidently, best of luck. Be careful what you wish for :)

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)

gleaf
3-May-2015, 09:57
Once belonged to a scuba diving club with low tolerance for back and forth at meetings. The discussion prolongers were immediately appointed to a committee to research and report back next meeting and the discussion closed. Solved so many long meeting problems.

Tin Can
3-May-2015, 10:34
Once belonged to a scuba diving club with low tolerance for back and forth at meetings. The discussion prolongers were immediately appointed to a committee to research and report back next meeting and the discussion closed. Solved so many long meeting problems.

That is exactly my technique at my Condo board meetings.

However here I think different methods may be best.

Mods rule!

David A. Goldfarb
3-May-2015, 10:40
Good man for the job. Good luck, Oren!

photonsoup
5-May-2015, 12:55
Congratchadolances Oren

kleinbatavia
8-May-2015, 12:46
And now to whip up a storm to make sure he has something to do... Here goes... Nah, nothing.

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2015, 13:48
I've noticed the spankin's have begun... not too hard yet though. Wait'll the hate mail starts. You'll get out the heavy paddle with the holes drilled to decrease wind resistance.

:D :D BAD BOYS....... WHACK... WHACK... WHACK!!! :D :D

David Lobato
8-May-2015, 18:39
Oren has been doing a good job on one thread already. My hat is off to him for jumping in feet first.

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2015, 18:51
I agree Oren's been doing fantastically well. I'm just messing with him. :)

Jac@stafford.net
8-May-2015, 20:10
I agree Oren's been doing fantastically well. I'm just messing with him. :)

We will see. His new badge is still shiny.