PDA

View Full Version : Ektascan 14X17 availability

Tin Can
30-Apr-2015, 17:54
I talked to http://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/x-ray-film/kodak-x-ray-film/14x17-in-carestream-kodak-ektascan-b-ra-single-emulsion-video-film.html

And they told me, as you can see in the changed webpage that 14X17 Ektascan IS available now with a 2 week lead time. They changed the webpage after my call. I am a regular volume customer.

8x10 Ektascan has been available all along.

I have my case of 14X17 Ektascan in the works. it is fresh dated for mid 2016. They dropship from Rochester, so it must be Kodak made on the old line. How could it not be?

Previously most, if not all suppliers said this 14X17 Ektascan was out of production and unavailable. There used to be 2 more sizes that are gone, both ULF. :(

News you may use, as you see fit.

vinny
30-Apr-2015, 18:34
Hell yeah.

Tin Can
30-Apr-2015, 18:39
Not that I know anything about this possibility, but the sudden availability of ULF Ektascan SEEMS to coincide with a Kodak special run of different 'Normal' film...

Lachlan 717
30-Apr-2015, 19:07
Randy,

Do you know if this is this single or double sided coating?

Tin Can
30-Apr-2015, 19:12
Randy,

Do you know if this is this single or double sided coating?

This is single sided, with an antihalation backing.

There are lots of users here and quite a bit of info available.

Some say it's too expensive and prefer the cheaper 2 sided film, but I always scratch that film as my fingers are clumsy.

I cut this under red LED to all sizes down to 6x6cm Hasselblad sheet film holders.

StoneNYC
2-May-2015, 09:16
It's also a T-Grain film.

I'm still waiting on another member, I was part of a group buy that was supposed to happen 1-2 months ago for it, and he said there was some issue and it was taking longer than expected. I hope this is true since I now own 3 14x17 holders and no film... :/

Tin Can
2-May-2015, 09:23
Buy a case.

StoneNYC
2-May-2015, 09:49
Buy a case.

I cannot afford 500 sheets of this film.

I'm already doing a group buy for 8x10 Velvia50 and Acros100 from Japan so I suppose I could organize my own of this as well, but I really don't want to. Maybe you'll sell me one of your boxes.

Also, I had given my discount code to the other person so that my box would be cheaper and the person would save money too, and so now I have no discount code...

I think it's still happening on his end but I haven't heard back from him in 2 days, ULF people tend to move slow so it's possible he's still booting up his computer and will finish typing in a few days ;)

Tin Can
2-May-2015, 10:11
I cannot afford 500 sheets of this film.

I'm already doing a group buy for 8x10 Velvia50 and Acros100 from Japan so I suppose I could organize my own of this as well, but I really don't want to. Maybe you'll sell me one of your boxes.

Also, I had given my discount code to the other person so that my box would be cheaper and the person would save money too, and so now I have no discount code...

I think it's still happening on his end but I haven't heard back from him in 2 days, ULF people tend to move slow so it's possible he's still booting up his computer and will finish typing in a few days ;)

I am not selling any of my film. I want a lifetime supply. Since I may go to Valhalla at any moment, who knows?

I am worried it is NOS, maybe fresh boxed and could disappear at any time. In January we were told it was discontinued by our source. Games.

Now it's suddenly available. I chose to not gamble and buy now. I use it in 2 cameras, an 11x14 and 7x17. Maybe I make a foam core 14x17, maybe I won't. That's a winter project. Now it's time to boogie.

I am a long time buyer from ZZ and the discount is only for new customers. I noticed it and got the whole 5% discount with a phone call for this last and largest order.

:)

vinny
2-May-2015, 11:43
I just built a set of 14x17 tanks for captain walnut. I'd love to build a 7x17 camera but won't do it til I run out of color film for my current cameras, which at this rate will be decades down the road. I hadn't thought about cutting down 14x17. I even had a box of this stuff that someone gave me several years ago. I ended up passing it on to captain walnut (j.fitzgerald) I hope your order works out. Contact prints!

Jim Fitzgerald
2-May-2015, 13:47
I've got a lot of 14 x 17 film believe it or not. Close to 400 sheets and something like 150 sheets of that are traditional film. If you need help on a box of Ektascan in 14 x 17 let me know and maybe I can help out. Captain Walnut out!!

Fr. Mark
3-May-2015, 21:00
I've developed 1 picture on Ektascan I really like, out of a trimming for making 5x7's out of 8x10 stock. I put the strip in a 35mm camera. This stuff rocks. I am not 100% done with my 8x10 project and now I'm tempted to build a 14x17, but I don't have trays (or tanks/hangers or tubes) or a camera or film holders or an obvious lens (though I suspect the close-up diopter lenses might work). I do not need this temptation!

Jim Fitzgerald
3-May-2015, 21:31
I've developed 1 picture on Ektascan I really like, out of a trimming for making 5x7's out of 8x10 stock. I put the strip in a 35mm camera. This stuff rocks. I am not 100% done with my 8x10 project and now I'm tempted to build a 14x17, but I don't have trays (or tanks/hangers or tubes) or a camera or film holders or an obvious lens (though I suspect the close-up diopter lenses might work). I do not need this temptation!

Sure you do! 14 x 17 is another world, but I love it.

Fr. Mark
4-May-2015, 19:09
Jim,

After all the photo gear building I've done the last year or so, I kinda wanted to make pictures again!

And, build a kayak. And make a Greenland paddle.

And get reliable exposures and development.
And master cyanotypes.
And off camera flash
And and and
But as was said on another thread: contact prints can be compelling even at 4x5 and 8x10. Hard to imagine a 14x17.

Fr. Mark
4-May-2015, 19:14
Actually, I've made 1 contact print that is 14x17. It is of an X-ray/MRI of a profile of my skull. Actually, it may be only 11x14, even my head wouldn't require 14x17. My dad is a radiologist and 20 something years ago I thought he'd enjoy the odd "portrait" of his son. But it needs a light box to see it so he never displayed it. So, when he gave it back to me I made a cyanotype positive of it. I don't think he puts that on display either, but it did work as a print. The detail is not as high as could potentially arise with a good view camera.

Jim Fitzgerald
4-May-2015, 20:04
Well 14 x 17 contact prints have a certain "presence" that appeals to me. Now when I pull a nice carbon print from a big negative..... I'm really happy.
It is a lot of work going from my 16 lb. 11 x 14 to my 30 lb. 14 x 17 but man is it worth it!

Fr. Mark
4-May-2015, 21:02
My 8x10 is 30 pounds, since 14x17 is 3x the area and normal focal length is almost 2x that suggests the 14x17 will be 180 pounds...plus picnic table to put it on and film holder and circus tent for changing film...where do I stable my pack elephants?

Seriously, I will have to consider it since great film is available for $2/sheet and 500 sheets might approach a lifetime supply at age 47. And, if film disappeared there's always dry plate.

But, the package needs to come in at lower proportional weight with easier adjustments and more rigidity than the 8x10.
I really underestimated the rigidity problems for the 8x10. A lot of study will be needed.

I really hoped I could be happy with 5x7 and an epson scanner and hiring inkjet prints on transparency film if I wanted huge prints. But the scanner's price buys a lot of film...and just thinking about the computer time makes me want to be ill.

Rather than continuing to hijack this thread you could pm me some links to 14x17 camera builds. I might go as exotic as those fancy aluminum extrusions but probably not Carbon fiber epoxy, but then again, who knows. It might not cost much more and the weight/strength could help a lot of places.