PDA

View Full Version : Film holder compatibility | Canham vs Chamonix vs Ritter

Grumium
28-Apr-2015, 23:32
Dear all,

I have a Canham 7x17 and a few AWB film holders and am considering to sell the Canham in favor of the (lighter) Chamonix or Ritter. Is it possible to use the film holders built for the Canham or do I also need their (proprietary?) holders?

Thank you in advance.

RichardRitter
29-Apr-2015, 02:39
Chamonix you would need new holders. Ritter no camera can be made to the holders.

StoneNYC
29-Apr-2015, 11:06
You should post this question in the thread I made the other day about ULF film holders.

Grumium
29-Apr-2015, 11:23
Richard, thank you very much for the information. This will help me in my decision.

Cfitzgerald
1-May-2015, 05:22
Chamonix you would need new holders. Ritter no camera can be made to the holders.

Richard, I don't understand your answer. Do you mean that his holders can fit your cameras?

Len Middleton
1-May-2015, 06:26
Richard, I don't understand your answer. Do you mean that his holders can fit your cameras?

Richard can build the camera back to match the diminsions of the film holder used, be it either the Chamonix, AWB, or S&S.

But of course, one can only use film holders that match that dimension the camera back is built for i.e. NOT Chamonix AND AWB if their dimensions do not match.

RichardRitter
1-May-2015, 07:16
Most cameras made will take the AWB, S&S and the ones I make. There are about 3 variation on the holder most are in the position of the lock grove and the size of the end flap. Repositioning the lock grove is an easy modification. The Two holders that will not fit most cameras made are the Chamonix and Wisner holders.

On 7 x 17 holder the current used measurement for the lock grove is 18.500. This is from the flap end to the far side of the lock grove(the side closer to the end where the dark side are inserted) Max width is 8.468 Min is 8.437

My Cameras are made to take AWB, S&S and the ones I make. On the 7 x 17, 8 x 20 and 12 x 20 cameras I do not machine the lock grove until I know the make of holder and position of the lock grove.

Cameras built to take Chamonix holders have to be custom built.