PDA

View Full Version : anyone making NEW enlargers?

buggz
27-Apr-2015, 16:42
Hello,

Anyone manufacturing new enlargers?
I'd like to get a complete setup and not worry about parts, support, etc.
It is probably a moot point for all the experienced people out there.
Not knowing anything about the different models available, I just can't commit myself on the purchase of an eBay item.
And, I guess shipping sort of kills all the deals, used, or new?
Sigh, I really want to learn and do this...

Jim C.
27-Apr-2015, 17:01
I don't think you can go wrong with used, I just checked B&H and all the enlargers they list are special order
so I guess they're still being made. If you're looking for a 4x5 enlarger you can't go wrong with either Beseler or Omega
they're plentiful used on Craigslist or eBay and they were made pretty sturdy, plenty of info online and here to service them
if need be.
I got my Omega D2 off Craigslist locally no shipping.

Tin Can
27-Apr-2015, 17:02
http://www.khbphotografix.com/

But everybody buys used...

Lachlan 717
27-Apr-2015, 17:04
I got a 4x5 Beseler from eBay for $35 with a 150mm lens and 6 film holders. Hard not to commit at that price!

buggz
27-Apr-2015, 17:18
Didn't think to even look on B&H.
New is expensive for color, and 4x5.
I see Beseler and Omega both can be ordered.
This means parts are available too?
If so, I guess one can buy a recent used system.

What I'd like, is a system for B&W, and color.
4x5, 6x4.5, 6x7, 6x9.
Too much to ask, eh?
Are there carriers, and systems for 6x12, and 6x17?
I guess I probably need to some local courses first, if such exists...

vinny
27-Apr-2015, 17:20
Craigslist unless you have thousands to play with. Make sure you're sitting down when you get the devere quote.

Vick Ko
27-Apr-2015, 17:51
Durst - $$$$ http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/products.php

Germany - http://www.enlarger.de/home_english/enlarger/enlarger.html

HMG
27-Apr-2015, 18:06
Support? Your best option are forums such as these. Most manufacturers don't provide much support - expecting the retailer to do that. Most retailers don't provide much support because "no one" does wet processing anymore. And if you find a retailer bucking that trend, don't bet on them being around.

Parts? Your best option is a model that is plentiful on the used market (Omega D2 or D5, Beseler 23C variant or 45 variant). But a 2nd head to keep for parts if you're worried about it.

buggz
27-Apr-2015, 18:10
I thought the durst-pro-usa place had a bad reputation?

Tin Can
27-Apr-2015, 18:30
Just search Craigslist for whatever distance you are willing to travel. When I bought or was given for free my 14 enlargers, my limit was 500 miles one way. I 'only' got 3 free ones. Some cost real money, some were $25. Deals vary. Adjust to circumstance.

Some want it all for free, which I consider unreasonable. Lenses, good ones, will cost the most.

Do that and within a year you will have all the gear you will ever need.

Check eBay, but usually the deal is bad for several reasons, however I did get a NOS Beseler 23C III in the box hand delivered from eBay 2 years ago. Last and best model ever made of that enlarger. The seller chose to drive it to me rather than ship as his time and gas was cheaper than the shipping I paid for in the total delivered price of $130.

I have no enlargers for sale at any price.

There are 1000's of them between me and Georgia.

Ginette
27-Apr-2015, 19:07
Didn't think to even look on B&H.
New is expensive for color, and 4x5.
I see Beseler and Omega both can be ordered.
This means parts are available too?
If so, I guess one can buy a recent used system.

What I'd like, is a system for B&W, and color.
4x5, 6x4.5, 6x7, 6x9.
Too much to ask, eh?
Are there carriers, and systems for 6x12, and 6x17?
I guess I probably need to some local courses first, if such exists...

For format till 6x9 the very compact Beseler 23CII or CIII with the dual dichro color head will give you an excellent and solid enlarger. Easy to find in good condition used.
For 6x12, you need an 4x5 enlarger, Beseler 45 or Omega D2
For 6x17, you need to find a 5x7 enlarger like a Durst 138. All you need for carrier is the basic 5x7 glass carrier and you simply make your own masks for the format you wish to use.
If you can find an enlarger directly from someone who used it, this will be your best move as the person will give you a lot of info and can help you even later if you need. Many darkroom fans will sell their very good equipment for low cost or will give it when they know that the equipment will continue to serve. No need to search for new equipment. Find something in good condition and enough complete that you will be able to start your darkroom and later you will be able to upgrade to a better equipment depending of your real needs.

You can look also for your local photo club, some can still have darkroom facilities or some members may still have their own darkroom so you can have some help there. A good resource to look to find what you have near your place is the Local Darkroom website http://www.localdarkroom.com/
And you can still ask your questions in this forum.
Good luck in your project.

Luis-F-S
27-Apr-2015, 21:32
I bought an LPL 4550 XLG enlarger last year in Atlanta off Craigslist for $350.00. Like Ginette said, the trick is to buy from someone who actually used it so they can show you it's complete. You can buy a new Omega/Saunders/LPL 4x5 enlarger from B&H for about $4k if you really feel the need to spend the money, but you'll still have to buy the negative carriers & lens boards. Between Beseler, Omega & LPL, I'd try to find an LPL since it will give you the most versatility in a very well made enlarger and you can quickly change between a dichroic & a VCCE head in about 30 secs. You can buy one with either head and add the second head later, or buy a dichroic head and you can use it for both color & B&W. Atlanta should have some courses through one of their community colleges & I'm sure there are Clubs with people who will help you.

Emmanuel BIGLER
28-Apr-2015, 05:19
In Germany, Kaiser Fototechnik has a complete range of enlarger and accessories available, but only up to the 6x9 cm format (2x3")
http://kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte/2_1_sortiment.asp?w=1347

And enlarger lenses from Rodenstock not only are still manufactured today (product listed as "current" on their web site),
http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/index.php/en/service-support#download
(may be I read this info here on the US-LF forum?) and make a profitable business, even if the market for those lenses is driven by applications other than the traditional wet photo laboratory.

Enlarger lenses from Schneider Kreuznach are listed in the section relative to industrial solutions.
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/industrial-solutions/objektive-und-zubehoer/produkte/unifoc-system/objektive-mit-leica-gewinde/

DrTang
28-Apr-2015, 09:10
get a D2

then..if you need parts..get two more

I have like 4 big plastic containers full of D2 parts..that now look like they will be an artificial reef

Drew Wiley
28-Apr-2015, 10:03
It would be very difficult for anyone in this day and age to machine enlargers at the level of quality they previously had. And the sheer numbers of certain models
in the past means that parts are relatively abundant. And some machines were built to last seemingly forever anyway. Then, with many good enlargers going for
almost free, you could have a spare machine on hand for just the parts. But it's always helpful to have some shop skills or know a local machinist if you have
special accessory needs. There are aftermarket sources for things like carrier glass or a new bellows. Buying used is always a matter of condition. Beware of
enlargers that have been used in a humid sink room or teaching environment involving monkeys. Some labs took very good care of their equipment, some didn't. Yeah, there are a handful of "servicing" dealers out there, provided you remortgage your house to pay for a "service contract" along with a machine for tens of thousands of dollars to begin with, are willing to pay flight expenses and a thousand per day for labor, and then when you do make that necessary phone call, find out the phone is disconnected because they're out of business. If you do want a formally reconditioned pro enlarger and are willing to pay for it along shipping, Glennview is a good place to start. I'm sure Durst-Pro is willing to take your money too; but whether you get anything in return is a different story.
good start.

buggz
29-Apr-2015, 06:05
Thanks to everyone for your responses and great information.
I think the purchase of used enlargers, and pieces is a good idea.
My quest begins...

vinny
29-Apr-2015, 06:27
get a D2

I have like 4 big plastic containers full of D2 parts..that now look like they will be an artificial reef

I bought five D2's for $200 once. I would have bought more but that's all I could fit in the truck.

analoguey
29-Apr-2015, 09:14
Kienzle in Germany refurbishes Leica focomats, Agfa varioscops and has 3 lines of current (new) enlargers.
(also Kaiser as already mentioned)

Then B&H lists all the N American brands and LPL of Japan. (check their site to see what they have)

DeVere in the UK.

Finally, in India a company called Modern Enterprises makes condenser enlargers up to 6x9cm and 4x5" on special order the 4x5" costs the rupee equivlnt of 500$ in India.
I have one of their older half-plate ones. That's a beast!

Luis-F-S
29-Apr-2015, 09:17
get a D2

Depends whether you want an enlarger, or a "project". L