PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy this camera...

Mark Sawyer
18-Jan-2005, 21:09
Okay, I've been watching for an 8x10 Kodak Master camera for a while now, and I had hopes the latest one on ebay would be in my budget range- "well used" with a warning to throw the darkcloth over the bellows before pulling the darkslide. It went for $1875.

Which brings me to my point... STOP THAT!!! DON'T BID ON KODAK MASTER CAMERAS!!! THEY'RE HEAVY AND UGLY AND HARD TO USE AND YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T LIKE USING ONE ANYWAYS.

Go buy yourself a Sinar instead.

Or maybe a nice used Heliopan filter.

Thank you. I feel better now. I'm glad we had this little talk.

ian_5053
18-Jan-2005, 21:31
Hey Mark,
Ive got a real nice KMV it came with the 14inch Comm Ektar and it was only $500 !!

Mark Sawyer
18-Jan-2005, 22:00
Grrrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrr...

Bill_1856
18-Jan-2005, 22:34
Last I heard, Michael A. Smith was cornering the market on these magnificent beasts.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jan-2005, 22:47
What were you wanting to pay? I've had an ugly one sitting in the corner of the studio for 7 years now that I paid 175.00 for. I've never used it and probably never will. email me.

Christian Olivet
18-Jan-2005, 23:21
I have used a KMV for 4 years. It is a wonderful camera and would not buy anything else unless I could afford an ebony!!

Ralph Barker
19-Jan-2005, 00:30
$1875 for a leaky KMV? We've all seen eBay bidding frenzies (especially frustrating on items we want ourselves), but that one has to take the cake.

Steve Hamley
19-Jan-2005, 05:02
How about a new Wehman? Allegedly an updated KMV design and about the same price as the old leaker.

Steve

Jim Galli
19-Jan-2005, 07:37
For that amount of $$ it is un-arguable that there are far more elegant solutions. Deardorff's at half that amount (albeit not with Series V 8X10 Protar's). Guess I'll hoard my old C1 green monster until they begin to fetch rediculous prices.

ronald lamarsh
19-Jan-2005, 09:30
I feel sorry for the person that paid the $1875.00 I can only hope that he is happy. As said elsewhere when it comes to auctions common sense seems to take a holiday, especially at a live auction. IF I BID I bid ONCE and only the price I am willing to pay and let it go. I'm with Jim hold onto that green C1 they'll probably develope a cult following someday too.

Jim Rice
19-Jan-2005, 16:43
Unless, of course, Jim wants to take pity on me with a deal on that green monster. ;;)

Conrad Hoffman
19-Jan-2005, 22:43
With some shewrd shopping, one could probably find a used lathe, mill, and table saw for $1875, and have enough money left over for a pile of brass, some mahogany and finish. Ok, not everybody is into building things from scratch, and you'd still need a lens, holders, and all the rest, but that's a lot of money for an old view.

Mark Sawyer
20-Jan-2005, 16:40
I agree with Steve; for the same price, one could have a brand new Wehman, about four pounds lighter and even more bomb-proof, or a new Tachihara for $1300. I've just been figuring an old KMV would be a nice camera at a more reasonable price. (Hey, you know what high school teachers make in Arizona?)

Hopefully, this was just temporary insanity...