PDA

View Full Version : Q: about polarizing filters.

sdean7855
26-Apr-2015, 17:06
I have some cheap Coleman polaroid sun glasses. When at the angle to cut out reflections, the ones it does pass are blue. As sunglasses and I seem to break up often, I never spend much money on them...and i don't mind the blue reflection artifact.
I have some in expensive Vvitar and Tiffen camera polarizing filters. They show this blue reflection ever so slightly.
I have bought B+H and Hoya filters for my DSLR gear (usually UV "lens cap" filters for the hardened glass)...and at 5x the price of Vivitar and Tiiffen filters.

I have to wonder if there is some unobtanium special construction/material that would make a diff for the polarizing filters. Comments? Please, no strafing runs about the use of polarizing filters themselves. De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

Greg Miller
26-Apr-2015, 17:27
Polarizers are one area where you get what you pay for. The cheaper varieties will have color casts. It's worth spending the extra money on a higher end filter. I use Singh-Ray.

If you plan to only use them for LF, you can save some money and buy linear polarizers. If you will also use with a DSLR, you will want to stick with the more expensive circular polarizers.

cowanw
26-Apr-2015, 19:18
Have a look at this. You have to look at each filter for colour results and these are circular only.
http://www.lenstip.com/115.29-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Tiffen_Cir._Polarizer_72_mm.html