PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a Wista 4x5 monorail?

jonbrisbincreative
25-Apr-2015, 06:15
i see that the Wista monorail looks very similar to a Linhof Color or Sinar Norma in its design. Has anyone here had direct experience with one?

I've pretty much been scared off the Sinar because of the difficulty using a 405 Polaroid back (from what I've read) and lack of geared movements and a rotating back. That leaves the Toyo. But I'm still open to other systems as long as he back standard is unobstructed and I can use a Polaroid holder in portrait mode.

koh303
25-Apr-2015, 07:14
I've pretty much been scared off the Sinar because of the difficulty using a 405 Polaroid back (from what I've read) and lack of geared movements and a rotating back. That leaves the Toyo. But I'm still open to other systems as long as he back standard is unobstructed and I can use a Polaroid holder in portrait mode.

What? Cant use a 405 back on a graflock back (even in portrait mode)? Why? There is a sinar back which is not graflock and can not be mounted vertical OR horizontal?

In a nut shell, there is nothing a Toyo can do that a sinar can't.

Used toyo cameras with geared movements often have stripped racks at the bottom of the movement, and sinar (and most other cameras) have geared focus at least... I have never seen the lack of gears on the basic sinars as an issue in the studio but was always bummed out when i pulled out a toyo which had stripped racks, broken knobs etc...

Beyond that i would stay away from obscure systems unless they are pristine and have a good bellows, as finding lensboards and other bits ans bobs might be harder then with more common and lower cost systems laying around...

Nissin
27-Apr-2015, 07:48
I live in Japan and bought a Wista M-200 and M-450 for less than $100 each. Both are very solidly made, have full, identical movements on both standards, and the bellows, backs and Linhof-type boards are interchangeable. They seem to be quite similar to Toyo cameras, although I must confess I've never used one. They're in good supply and quite cheap to buy here, a little cheaper than Toyo 45G models and about half the price of a Toyo 45GX. Full information for both cameras can be found at the Butkus website: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/wista/wista_45.htm.