PDA

View Full Version : Carl Meyer Apochromat type R 13" f.10

Richard Årlin
18-Jan-2005, 09:53
Carl Meyer Apochromat type R 13" f.10
Someone familiar with this lens. The focal lenght would fit in quite well with the 6 1/4" & the 9 ½" that I already have. Also, I don't seem to find much information on the Alphax shutter it sits in. Thanks for any information...

Richard

Dan Fromm
18-Jan-2005, 12:30
Richard, Carl Meyer lenses were made by Burke &James.

The name is supposed to have been chosen to make prospective buyers think of Carl Zeiss and Hugo Meyer, both reputable lens makers. Some Carl Meyer lenses are supposed to be ok, many are supposed to have been assembled from rejected or scrapped components.

There are enough 12", 13", and 14" process lenses around, usually at very reasonable prices, from reputable makers that I'm not sure it makes sense to gamble on a Carl Meyer. But if the price is very, very low I can understand why you'd be tempted, doubts nothwithstanding.

Alphax shutters are press shutters made by Wollensak. I believe they came in the same sizes as Betax shutters, also made by Wollensak, and Ilex shutters. They're supposed to be very robust.

Good luck,

Dan

John Berry ( Roadkill )
18-Jan-2005, 17:15
I had a 14 carl meyer and it stacked up against the apo ronar that I had for sharpness. I shoot B&W so can't coment on it colorwise. It would cut a piece of grain in two. Can't vouch for any others only this one barrel lens.