PDA

View Full Version : 3d printed lens caps

HMG
23-Apr-2015, 20:50
Thinking of having a bunch of odd sized front and rear lens caps 3D printed using Ninjaflex. I'd have dimples to allow friction fit (that can be shaved off as necessary).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tin Can
23-Apr-2015, 23:50
Sounds great.

Fantastic idea and solution.

I don't want buy a 3D printer. I do know that much...

polyglot
24-Apr-2015, 04:32
Yeah, but I'd use plain old ABS or PLA.

Drew Bedo
24-Apr-2015, 05:39

Jeez—Are threads on this going to be full of alpha-numeric jargon like the digital process and printing threads?

I like the idea of replicating hard-to-find lens caps, and other bits, but can' we keep the discussion open enough for those of us who still use a flip open phone to understand?

Drew Bedo
24-Apr-2015, 05:48
OK—rant over.

Sure: 3-D printed lens caps are a great idea. But what about other cool LF things.

I'd really like to see a light weight Grafmatic type film magazine. Even an improved MIDO type system of film sleeves and Cassette would be welcome.

Louis Pacilla
24-Apr-2015, 06:18

Jeez—Are threads on this going to be full of alpha-numeric jargon like the digital process and printing threads?

I may be missing something but is this not the acronym for different types plastic?

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 06:31

Why? I was thinking the flexibility of ninjaflex would be a benefit.

I'm not very knowledgable on this stuff. I did find someone to "print" a different item for me - good work at a very reasonable cost. He's used Ninjaflex for lenscaps before. But he can also do in ABS or PLA.

He can also do a few different colors, but we all know that G-d intended lens caps to be black.

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 06:47
My thinking is to size the lens cap about .5mm larger than the measured diameter, then have 3-4 1mm dimples. Shaving those dimples should allow correct fit. I don't know the tolerance of his printer, but I think well within my needs.

I also don't know the cost yet, but I'm anticipating about $3-5 each depending on lenscap size and volume printed.

I'll have my son create the 3d models. Finally getting some ROI for that tuition. :)

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2015, 06:53
My thinking is to size the lens cap about .5mm larger than the measured diameter, then have 3-4 1mm dimples. Shaving those dimples should allow correct fit. I don't know the tolerance of his printer, but I think well within my needs.

I also don't know the cost yet, but I'm anticipating about $3-5 each depending on lenscap size and volume printed.

I'll have my son create the 3d models. Finally getting some ROI for that tuition. :)

Make sure that the material is safe from outgassing. Or you might ruin the lens it is on.

Jim C.
24-Apr-2015, 06:56
I may be missing something but is this not the acronym for different types plastic?

Yep, ABS is short for acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, PLA is polylactic acid.

For lens caps you're better off with ABS, PLA is biodegradable so it will rot on your lens after a while
if those filament printers have High density Polyethylene ( HDPE ) that is UV stabilized that would be a better choice.

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 06:56
OK—rant over.

Sure: 3-D printed lens caps are a great idea. But what about other cool LF things.

I'd really like to see a light weight Grafmatic type film magazine. Even an improved MIDO type system of film sleeves and Cassette would be welcome.

"Gee, Orville and Wilber, that's nice but why didn't you build a spaceship?"

I'd like to see those too. But there are limits to what can be done with materials suitable for inexpensive 3s printers. And it's still not suitable for mass production. Perhaps someday.

DrTang
24-Apr-2015, 07:04
I bought a camera from a guy who made his own lenscaps..from leather

he is a bookbinder by trade and just did it for himself as needed

he told me it wasn't that hard...but of course he had all the bookbinding tools and experience

..but they were really nice..

just a thought

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 07:21
Make sure that the material is safe from outgassing. Or you might ruin the lens it is on.

Good point. I've seen references to outgassing during the printing process, but not after curing.

Also worth noting is that SK Grimes mills their lenscaps from acetal and pvc. Neither are (as far as I know) suitable for 3d printing.

Does anyone know what "commercial" soft lenscaps are made from?
Ninjaflex is a product name for thermoplastic polyurethane (TPE).

Ari
24-Apr-2015, 10:27
For those who carry the DIY gene, here is a simple step-by-step method of making your own lens caps: http://collodion-art.blogspot.ca/2010/08/making-your-own-lenscap-isnt-that.html

Jim C.
24-Apr-2015, 11:29

Best guess is that they're injection molded polypropylene.

Jody_S
24-Apr-2015, 12:04
Good point. I've seen references to outgassing during the printing process, but not after curing.

Also worth noting is that SK Grimes mills their lenscaps from acetal and pvc. Neither are (as far as I know) suitable for 3d printing.

Ninjaflex is a product name for thermoplastic polyurethane (TPE).

I have a 4x8' sheet of 1/8" black TPE that I bought to replace darkslides (haven't gotten around to doing it yet), if I could glue a perfect seam, this is flexible enough to use for plastic lens caps; just cut a round piece, a strip, and glue the two together over a mold to hold them in place.

I've made a bunch of leather ones following instructions I found here, but that's rather time-consuming and I haven't been doing it lately. Instead, I bought a suitcase full of old lens caps from someone at a camera show last year.

c.d.ewen
24-Apr-2015, 15:03
You use whatever's in your toolbox. You've got a 3D printer, I've got a lathe.

I just picked up a new-to-me lens without caps. I turned out front and back caps in less than an hour (including messy cleanup) from some scrap round Delrin. No idea of the cost, but cheap to me.

I have made leather caps in the past, using laminated posterboard strips over a custom sized mold (turned on the lathe). Pain in the butt, though, to tuck the leather into the inside of the cap. I always wound up getting it bunched up. Had some fun, though, gluing (casein glue) different colored felt onto the flat inside.

Whatever floats your boat.

Charley

Drew Wiley
24-Apr-2015, 15:45
Unless you're a personal trainer speaking about someone's abs, or lack thereof, ABS is not an acronym, but the routine label for an abundant class of plastics. It's like saying, "vinyl" or "nylon", just a different category of polymer. If you want to know what vinyl or nylon really are - and they are potentially hundreds of specifically different polymers - you need a few advanced courses in organic and industrial chemistry. Every sixteen-year-old with a summer job in every hardware store on the continent knows what ABS is. Sometimes it's what breaks when you drop your cellphone.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Apr-2015, 15:52
You use whatever's in your toolbox. You've got a 3D printer, I've got a lathe.

It is likely you could produce more useful lens caps more efficiently than our OP. Good old school can hardly be bettered.

Good on you.

Drew Wiley
24-Apr-2015, 16:25
I don't think I'd even want a brittle plastic lens cap. If it seriously cracked or splintered, it could scratch the lens. ABS ain't too good at very low temperatures.
But let's see... Buy a new lathe or just a step ring with an off-the-store-shelf plastic lens cap? Hmmm.... a lathe might be helpful for opening cat food cans, too,
but the wife needs a new car, so guess the lathe will have to wait.

Tin Can
24-Apr-2015, 16:43
You guys did see the lens cap I adapted for Jena APO 900 mm... Big, cheap, common.

Jim Jones
24-Apr-2015, 20:11
I prefer screw-in lens caps. They provide better protection to both glass and filter threads. The glass in many junk box filters can be replaced by metal, plywood, Masonite, or MDC discs to make effective screw-in lens caps.

Jim Graves
24-Apr-2015, 20:13
Here's a link to Thingiverse .... it's a site loaded with 3-D printer files for all things imanginible ... this particular link is the result you get when you search for "lens cap" ..... there are even some files marked "large format lens cap" ...... it's a whole new world out there: LINK (http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:2?q=Lens+cap&sa=)

c.d.ewen
24-Apr-2015, 20:16
but the wife needs a new car, so guess the lathe will have to wait.

The first thing I ever made with the lathe was a knurled replacement knob for her telescope. Saved a lot of discussion on its usefulness.

Charley

Tin Can
24-Apr-2015, 20:21
The first thing I ever made with the lathe was a knurled replacement knob for her telescope. Saved a lot of discussion on its usefulness.

Charley

+1

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 20:21
I keep a box off plastic tops; unfortunately can't always find a fit.

Jody_S
24-Apr-2015, 20:23

Charley

Brilliant! I really wish my wife needed something I could make with mine.

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 20:27
I prefer screw-in lens caps. They provide better protection to both glass and filter threads. The glass in many junk box filters can be replaced by metal, plywood, Masonite, or MDC discs to make effective screw-in lens caps.

If I could easily find screw-in caps - or any commercial cap - for the sizes I need I'd do that. If I wanted to spend $25-50 per cap from SK Grimes I'd do that.

HMG
24-Apr-2015, 22:03
Here's a link to Thingiverse .... it's a site loaded with 3-D printer files for all things imanginible ... this particular link is the result you get when you search for "lens cap" ..... there are even some files marked "large format lens cap" ...... it's a whole new world out there: LINK (http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:2?q=Lens+cap&sa=)

Quite a few there along the lines I'm thinking of.

Jim Andrada
29-Apr-2015, 13:21
Delrin/Acetal are quite flammable. My clients like to use them because of ease of machining and stability, but our major OEM customer won't allow it because of flame and smoke issues.